Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I live in the salt belt and hate every bit of it. Unfortunately, I have had to drive the xB through a few winters here in Ohio. Overall, the body is holding up well for a 9 year old vehicle and my xB is extremely clean. However, I have noticed some slight surface rust forming on the passenger side rear rocker panel towards the bottom of the wheel opening and along the pinch welds.

I am curious to hear how other xBs are holding up especially in the rust belt. Anyone experiencing any rust or corrosion?

Feel free to provide your comments/feedback.

Thanks.

·
Dead box
1,095 Posts
I've had some, but it's nothing serious yet. It might scare someone in the southwestern US, but it's pretty good for the midwest. What I have is far from what happened to the rear wheel wells of 90s Hondas.

In terms of the body, just a little surface rust where I've had some rock chips. Nuts and bolts are corroding a bit more than that. While changing the oil this weekend, I sheared the bolt that holds both sides of the front underbody tray in the center. That's the second time I've had a bolt shear because a nut seized - the first was the pivot nut on the throttle when I installed cruise control 17 months ago. I suppose I'll need to take greater care with the small fasteners from now on.

I use Fluid Film, a lanolin-based protectant, to try to minimize the effects in the engine compartment, on the underside, and in the doors, hatch, and rocker panels. For a 10-year-old car in road-salt country, it's still in pretty good shape.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had some, but it's nothing serious yet. It might scare someone in the southwestern US, but it's pretty good for the midwest. What I have is far from what happened to the rear wheel wells of 90s Hondas.

In terms of the body, just a little surface rust where I've had some rock chips. Nuts and bolts are corroding a bit more than that. While changing the oil this weekend, I sheared the bolt that holds both sides of the front underbody tray in the center. That's the second time I've had a bolt shear because a nut seized - the first was the pivot nut on the throttle when I installed cruise control 17 months ago. I suppose I'll need to take greater care with the small fasteners from now on.

I use Fluid Film, a lanolin-based protectant, to try to minimize the effects in the engine compartment, on the underside, and in the doors, hatch, and rocker panels. For a 10-year-old car in road-salt country, it's still in pretty good shape.
Thanks for the response Steve! I just like to hear what other owners are reporting. Funny you mention Fluid Film, I just stumbled across it a few weeks ago looking at some videos on YouTube. Also, talked to another local xB owner who mentioned he used it. I will have to give it a try next year.

Right now, I've got the undercarriage pretty well undercoated along with regular car washes when possible including the undercarriage. Wish I would have invested in undercoating when I bought the vehicle brand new in 2006. Didn't even think of it. Body panels look perfect. No rust at all in the door jambs, etc. Some mild surface rust on nuts and bolts. The front brake dust shields are beginning to develop some noticeable rust on the backside of them. Just concerned with how well everything will hold up. I hope to keep this vehicle as long as possible but I do not think it makes sense to pay for major body repair if the rust worsens.

Thanks again for providing your feedback.

·
Dead box
1,095 Posts
If you can keep the rust at bay, a well-maintained xB should give you half a million miles. Good luck!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I guess I was wrong about drawing the conclusion of surface rust... I pulled off the passenger side side skirt in attempt to wire wheel and remove the rust forming in the area in between the rocker panel and quarter panel and discovered a nice sized area of solid rust. I could put my finger through it and it will need significant repair.

Can anyone suggest a good shop for proper rust repair? I am in the northeast Ohio area. If anyone could recommend a shop or person, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
26,572 Posts
Here in Northern Ind, salt is not the problem anymore !!! Liquid Calcium Chloride is the problem now !!! In the day I never took my lady through a car wash but now I do it to get the BOTTOM cleaned out !!! Never know where the liquid will stay and cause problems down the road !!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here in Northern Ind, salt is not the problem anymore !!! Liquid Calcium Chloride is the problem now !!! In the day I never took my lady through a car wash but now I do it to get the BOTTOM cleaned out !!! Never know where the liquid will stay and cause problems down the road !!!!
Your right about calcium chloride, that stuff is nasty. I am very diligent on taking my car to the car wash in winter as much as possible and getting the underbody washed.

To be honest though, I think the problem is with the side skirts on our cars. When I pulled them off, I had a ton of dirt/salt/sand trapped inside. I literally dumped out the dirt into a pile. There was no way of getting all of that out unless you take off the side skirts yearly and give it a through wash. Be warned anyone who lives in the salt belt, I recommend taking your side skirts off and taking a peek, you maybe shocked of what your find. I have quite a bit of surface rust on the pinch welds also that is forming. I hope to get this repaired properly and undercoated to hope to get a few more years out of this car.

·
Dead box
1,095 Posts
Another potential rust issue to consider is around the windshield. I just had mine replaced today, and the tech showed me where the previous replacement (before I bought it) was a bit of a hack job. He said a lot of techs use a knife to cut through the gasket to get the windshield out, and wind up going through the paint and down to bare metal. Then they don't bother sanding & priming, which allows moisture to get to the exposed metal in the cut. Four years later, you have rust around the windshield.

Today, they sanded and primed before installing the new windshield, so we'll see how that goes.

·
Dyke in a Box
1,483 Posts
Virginia used salt on their roads but my xB doesn't have much of it anywhere. There's one spot where a rock chip smacked straight through to the the metal above the windshield, but it's the size of a ballpoint pen tip and easy to fix. Some of the nuts under the vehicle are a pain in the ass but otherwise she's clean. Door jambs are spotless and kept waxed or dipped. I think dipping in the winter really helps with keeping surface rust away from things like wheel wells.

·
Registered
26,572 Posts
/\/\.. Dipping may help out but tom me its the liquid they use on our roads now that scare me !! Which is why a good car wash with a total rinse on the bottom should help !!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another potential rust issue to consider is around the windshield. I just had mine replaced today, and the tech showed me where the previous replacement (before I bought it) was a bit of a hack job. He said a lot of techs use a knife to cut through the gasket to get the windshield out, and wind up going through the paint and down to bare metal. Then they don't bother sanding & priming, which allows moisture to get to the exposed metal in the cut. Four years later, you have rust around the windshield.

Today, they sanded and primed before installing the new windshield, so we'll see how that goes.
I have witnessed this also. Good reason to find a good windshield installer. Luckily, my xB is rarely driven long distances so my windshield is in pristine condition. No rock chips on the windshield or around it on the body.

I found this article and it provided some great information along with a product I think I am going to use. Others may find this product helpful.
https://mercedessource.com/store/do-it-yourself-permanent-rust-repair-without-welding-kent-bergsma

Just need to find someone to perform the labor. I really don't have the time nor the right equipment to do it myself.

·
Dead box
1,095 Posts
One more: the rear bumper reinforcement. If you live in road-salt country, crap gets kicked up behind the rear bumper and collects in and on the hollow metal reinforcement member that provides all the safety in a rear-end collision.

I bled my brakes a few days ago, and got a good look at the reinforcement for the first time in quite a while. Man, that component has the worst corrosion of anything on my car, by a long shot. The other spots are minor surface rust from nicked paint or exposed bits in the engine compartment and underside, and varying degrees of corroded fasteners (for example, I needed a torch to get the bleeder screws loose). I don't think the rust has affected the structural integrity of the reinforcement YET, but I need to remove the bumper cover and have a closer look. If it's surface rust that's just making progress, I'll try to hose the crap out of the inside, scrape away the flakes on the outside with a wire brush, and then spray it all over with Fluid Film.

If it's weakened, then I'll need to look at replacing it and the mounts, since they're also showing some rust.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
My dad's xB had one of those nose bra's that goes on the hood (the one you get from Scion) and he left it on for about 40,000 miles without taking it off and washing underneath it and now all the paint under it peeled off... It kinda sucks but that's why you should always take the bra off...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In case anyone is curious of the potential rust area to check for, I attached a picture off another '06 xB for sale from a local dealership. This is exactly the same area my rust formed and was discovered.

Hope this helps others.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2005 and a 2006 xb. I just discovered that I quite a large rust through on the rear frame rail, similar to the way Tacoma frames rusted through. I have been diligent about cleaning and repainting the pinch welds and rocker panels. I never expected that the frame structure would rust through. Also, I was in the car wash industry for several years and was on the board of directors of my car wash association. The under carriage wash has little effect on getting the salt and corrosion off the underside of the car. In order for it to be effective it would have to be high pressure and the atomization of the water would get the plug wires wet and cause a real problem with cars not starting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am looking for others that have the same problem with rust on the unibody frame as I have. If you live in an area where they use road salt , check the frame just in front of where the top of the rear springs attach. I have significant rust through in that area on the passengers side. Toyota has taken care of this problem on the Tacoma.The frame of a vehicle should not rust through while the body only has light surface rust.

·
Registered
26,572 Posts
My under carriage looks great last year !!! Only tip I can give is take the Xb through the car wash and get the bottom sprayed to get that out of there !!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been in the car wash business for several years. Spraying the undercarriage isn't the issue. The same substandard steel that they used on the Tacoma frames is the issue.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts