Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We did this Jollypop Copper and looks pretty damn close to Torched Penny.

Looks yummy doesn't it!?

Don't mind the tire size, we just had a junk tire mounted for display purposes. This wheel was just a sample type thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
You powdercoated a aluminum rim??? Ive seen a rim crack at teh spokes after it was powdercoated!!!

That looks too redish too me, could be me since I am color blind (deprived)

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You powdercoated a aluminum rim??? Ive seen a rim crack at teh spokes after it was powdercoated!!!
It was a sample, but now you got me thinking.

Is there any proof backing up the baking harming an aluminum wheel? Just for future safety issues. I mean real proof, like from someone big in the wheel industry, not just some guy on a forum somewhere?

We never really gave the issue a lot of thought. We weren't warned by the powder coating tech's that we deal with about the issue either.

Maybe I should do a search on the topic.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not meant to be the color, it just reminded me of the 4.0 when it was done.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
My Adobe is messed up so I couldnt read it, but heres my thing with it:

Ive heard both sides of the issue. One says it makes it stronger (of course the finish will be), but the heat can cause cheaper rims to crack. Ive for this reason still stayed away from it. If anything, Ill do paint on mine. Thats just what Ive heard, but I have no empirical proof.

Scotty

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the big industry in the article is heating them to 428F which is right around where we are heating to.

·
Pensacola Scikotics
287 Posts
We never really gave the issue a lot of thought. We weren't warned by the powder coating tech's that we deal with about the issue either.

Maybe I should do a search on the topic.
I've done several sets of m/c wheels and have yet to have a problem. In fact, this set of wheels saw daily use on a street bike and then served double duty through and entire race season. From what I've read, steel wheels are fine regardless. It's the aluminum alloy that gets tricky. Most wheels will be fine under normal outgassing and curing temperatures. You just would NEVER want to "burn off" any existing finish as those temps are a lot higher than curing temps. It usually best to contact the wheel manufacturer if there is any concern about what alloy is used.

Hope this helps a little...........

Attachments

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks.!!!^^^

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
but that is not a lot of weight on the wheels. The problem is that when you bring them to this temperature you actually begin to get some of the eutectic solution (normally a aluminum silica with some other stuff). When this then cools, if cooled slowly actually grows larger dendrite formations and is not as stiff as normal.

I know this is kinda weird if you have never seen this, but the key is to get it to temp fast and bring it down fast without hurting the structure.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We only keep them in for 10-20 minutes. In the link above they leave them in for 40minutes. I've had powder coated wheels and have put them thru torture without cracking them.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Probably... I don't work there anymore though.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've done several sets of m/c wheels and have yet to have a problem. In fact, this set of wheels saw daily use on a street bike and then served double duty through and entire race season. From what I've read, steel wheels are fine regardless. It's the aluminum alloy that gets tricky. Most wheels will be fine under normal outgassing and curing temperatures. You just would NEVER want to "burn off" any existing finish as those temps are a lot higher than curing temps. It usually best to contact the wheel manufacturer if there is any concern about what alloy is used.

Hope this helps a little...........
nice bike man, is it V-twin?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts