Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Super Moderator
2006 Scion xB Automatic
I, too, have been thinking about getting my hands on a nice rack, but have not done so in quite some time.

I've just been looking at eBay / Amazon for options. There seem to be several options, and they look pretty much identical. But I'd like to hear feedback from anyone rocking one as well. I have no basis for comparison.

Registered
I have Yakima (but think Thule is almost exactly the same). Bought it for my 2006, bought new clips to move it to my 2012. Easy to mount and remove but we keep it on to help identify the car in crowded parking lots.

Registered
So here's the thing about roof racks. There are no options for "bolt-on" racks when it comes to these box cars. Toyota never incorporated roof rack anchor points into the roof of these cars. BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagen and more have roof rack anchor points pre installed in all their cars and roof rack manufacturers have catered to these vehicles by designing racks to fit those specific cars and also designed the racks to eliminate wind noise, eliminate potential damage to the roof tops and eliminate the need to have multiple attachment mechanisms for the rack accessories.

But not Scion. Scion owners are stuck with the only option of buying a crappy-over priced "universal clamp-on" style roof rack which is not specifically designed for our cars. No biggie, but what this "universal rack" thing means is that the rack wasn't designed to eliminate wind howling past the bars on these cars, it wasn't designed for ease of installation, it wasn't designed for reliability.

Racks for these box cars are LITERALLY a "one size-fits all" design......buy the rack, buy the universal clamps. Put it on the Scion and deal with the universal problems.

For the Scion, the universal clamps intrude upon the weather seals which (when installed) will allow rain water and wind noise to become a negative issue.

Yakima is the worst and most expensive amongst the big name, big $$$ rack companies.....I mean, just imagine paying $300+ for a rack and when the rack arrives, 80% of the rack is a basic metal pipe you could buy at a local hardware store for $20.
Thule Racks is another big-name brand next to Yakima.....but even those racks are no better than Yakima......but I guess the Thule rectangle bars are slightly nicer to look at than the round Yakima pipes.

Registered
So here's the thing about roof racks. There are no options for "bolt-on" racks when it comes to these box cars. Toyota never incorporated roof rack anchor points into the roof of these cars. BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagen and more have roof rack anchor points pre installed in all their cars and roof rack manufacturers have catered to these vehicles by designing racks to fit those specific cars and also designed the racks to eliminate wind noise, eliminate potential damage to the roof tops and eliminate the need to have multiple attachment mechanisms for the rack accessories.

But not Scion. Scion owners are stuck with the only option of buying a crappy-over priced "universal clamp-on" style roof rack which is not specifically designed for our cars. No biggie, but what this "universal rack" thing means is that the rack wasn't designed to eliminate wind howling past the bars on these cars, it wasn't designed for ease of installation, it wasn't designed for reliability.

Racks for these box cars are LITERALLY a "one size-fits all" design......buy the rack, buy the universal clamps. Put it on the Scion and deal with the universal problems.

For the Scion, the universal clamps intrude upon the weather seals which (when installed) will allow rain water and wind noise to become a negative issue.

Yakima is the worst and most expensive amongst the big name, big $$$ rack companies.....I mean, just imagine paying $300+ for a rack and when the rack arrives, 80% of the rack is a basic metal pipe you could buy at a local hardware store for $20.
Thule Racks is another big-name brand next to Yakima.....but even those racks are no better than Yakima......but I guess the Thule rectangle bars are slightly nicer to look at than the round Yakima pipes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts