Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay..Got my satelite radio, mp3, camera, maps and favorite snacks...

Now is there anything I need to do to my xB for a nice long road trip (TN, AL, GA, FL and back) :confused:

Do I need to put that blue tape all over the front of my car? Should I put 4 or 5 coats of wax on it?:confused:
Help please, oh wise ones, cuz I dunno!:eek:

P.S.
I got my xBCLUB decals today :D so they will go on, as well as my cool tribal cat decals.

·
Registered
82 Posts
When are you leaving? Do you have time/$$ to get a bra? The "lovebugs" are still kinda bad here in Central FL so that would help ALOT,especially on the interstate and back roads. That would protect your paint from bugs,rockchips or whatever. I've never used the blue tape on my car,I'm not sure I would just because it would look strange. Also, how many miles until your next oil change? Check all your fluids and air pressure in your tires. I bought a roadside emergency kit that I always keep in my car. First Aid kit,poncho,flashlight w/batteries,air compressor,etc..all in a carrying case with reflective vinyl sewn on. Other than that I'd wax the front really good and keep a small cleaning kit in the car during yor trip. You could go to a car wash every once in while (when you get gas) and clean it up.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Tape it up, and check fluids. I used tape once and I was very suprised when I went to take it off and it felt like sand paper.

·
Floating Around Somewhere
11,800 Posts
Clean it real good then mask off the front end with blue painters tape. Sure it
looks kind of goofy but it will save you lot of headaches and money in the
long run. Don't forget to do the mirrors and the A-pillers and above the
windsheild. Rocks - bugs and anyother crap that you find on your trip will be
easily removed just by removing the tape. Don't forget to check the air in your
spare tire. We took a trip just recently and I took one of the stock tire/wheels
just incase we had two flats. Check all the fluids and a oil change never hurts.

Oh ya -- A co-pilot to keep you company -- Just incase you get tired driving

Have fun on your trip ......... :D

·
RS4 #303
4,900 Posts
Whattttt !!!!

i cant believ what im seeing not one of you reminded her to take the most important thing of all:eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

camera
and please miss we need pic fixes of road trips if youd be so kind:)

·
Registered
485 Posts
definately tape it up. Tango drove from over here (northern VA) all the way over to cali for the SE 2 year celebration, and by time she got to cali, the whole car literally looked like she drove it through an exhibit at the zoo. It was a mess.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
great advice...specially bout the gas!

I dont leave for like a week or two, does this give me time for the clear bra (that cracks me up! :p ).... is getting the bra better than the tape? Should I get the bra AND tape? Does the tape come in any color but blue? (I can't help it, I'm a visual person!:rolleyes: wish it came in a leopard print! ha!)

Yeah, I am going to take a camera and document every xB I see! I loved Rodney's photo doc of the Roswell show!

My car only has 1023 miles on it. So I'm assuming the fluids are okay, but I'll check them all. Oh yeah! GAS hehe Thanks Steph!

I'll be flying solo but I'm hoping to meet some interesting people along the way. Dang, I wish I had a bunch of xB decals to give to fellow xBers that I meet. I can spread the word about the site. We have over 2000 here right? that is soooooo cool!

I researched those FL love bugs! ewww! Fortunately there will be less of them when I hit FL....saw some pretty ugly pix on scionlife! eeew!

Where do you get those clear bras (Fredericks of Scionwood? j/k)? If I'm going to be calling around for clear bras I need to be calling the right businesses! Dont want no Bubba asking for cup size! :eek: :rolleyes:

Any more advice? man you guys are good! Thankx!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
From what I’ve heard 3M makes as excellent clear bra. I think you usually get those installed at a paint/ body shop. Kinda pricey, but a good investment. Search around, I’ve seen a number of threads about them (I don’t have a bra). Less pricey (but nicer looking than tape) is a leather bra. I know some folks that keep them on 24/7 and others that only pull them out for long trips. Again, you can find specific recommendations on other threads.

Low budget is the blue tape. It can be found at any local hardware store in the paint section. (I’ve heard you can also find it in neon green.) Or you can just use masking tape (anything low adhesive -- no Duct, packing, etc). Either way just be sure to go with a thicker roll so it doesn't take forever to put on. Maybe buy an extra roll for the trip in case you want to redo part of it too. I suppose if you wanted to you could take the regular masking tape and draw spots on it. . .

Have fun on your trip!

·
Registered
82 Posts
The clear bra is a good idea but I was thinking of the black breathable vinyl type. It should be around $100,it's removeable,and adds great protection. I'd stay away from the LeBra brand though,they're low quality POS's.

·
scikotics
1,005 Posts
Yea I was going to say just get the the black breathable vinyl type also. I don't know if it's true or not but I was told that even 3m's clear bra will turn kinda yellow after a few years which isn't bad if your ride is yellow but if it's PW not so good. I plan on having my box for a while so I'm not spending $300+ and have it turn yellow on me. I couldn't find the site but yea they were $129.00 for the black breathable vinyl type. Not LaBra those you can get for like $80.00. Be Safe!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
also, if you don't have it already...Cruise Control.....Rosta makes a good one.....otherwise your ankle will hate you..
and a cheep hand held cb....just incase you want some live entertainment....
just my 1.75 cents worth

saddlesore ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.