Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
NEXT LEVEL MOTORING
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, I sport the 002's on my RD JAPAN STYLE.
When I first got the SPORTMAX, many peeps were suggesting that fenders will need to be cut, and fender flares will be needed also.
After many trials and errors of staying away from the "SAW" "DRILL", or the "TORCH" to my ride, I went to Coilovers, Camber, tires, yadayadayada, and many of you have followed me through this process. Well after all that, I now have the set up I want.............except the Fender Flares.
Like I said earlier, I don't want to "DRILL" my rear quater panel so, I came up with an idea to have the FF's on or off without having to permanently attach it with screws or rivets.

There are FF which you don't need to screw on to your fenders, but I don't like them they're not my STYLE. Not only that but with the 002 set up, your tires will scrub the inside bottom lip of the FF and will tear that sucka, and rip the FF right off of your rear fender.

So, here is one of my solution for "ME" to be able to rock them FF's anytime I want to, and to switch them from Carbon Fiber FF's to FG Hot Lava FF's

I'm still in the begining process of this conversion, and I will have more details and updates as I go through this process.

First off, Big Thanks to Mike Ma from M2 MOTORING for hooking me up with these super flex FG Fender Flares, and also my new rear spoiler, shhhhh....it's a secret. Hummm.......is ThunderGod turning a new leaf???

Well, I need to search the "Junk yard" for parts. Looky here.....extra bumper, couple of lips, 3 sets of tires and rims, some of this some of that, turning a new leaf for the comming season? I wonder.......

OH, there they are.........

First off, clean surface and mask it. Okay Padanky, no laughing. I do better with electrical tape.
Also at this time, cover your wheels with a huge plastic or a trash bag, it can get messy with the foam run off.

This is what I used for this fabrication. Be careful, this stuff expands. Use discretion, and read instruction.

You can trace the FF's with a pencil onto the tape to spot your FF's BEFORE you install. Then fill the FF with the FOAM to the inside of the FF. Be careful, this stuff expands. Clamp the FF to keep it in place. By clamping, it helps to keep the FF stay in place as the foam expands, and fills the inside of the FF. The excess foam will run out the edges as the foam expands. Good thing you had your wheels covered.

This product dries/cured in about 4 hours.
I will take it off tomorrow morning. Till then, I will be checking up on it.

If you're wondering how the Fender Flares will attach to the fenders?
I will be using a Industrial Double stick tape.
I will have updates as I go through this process.
Follow me.........:)

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Friggin' amazing!!!!! You've really got my mind working overtime now. I'm looking forward to seeing how well this will sand out and if the paint will cause it to shrink...unless you're planning on using Bondo or fiberglass over it. Hmmmmmmmm...the possibilities. :rolleyes:

·
NEXT LEVEL MOTORING
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
surfcitylocal said:
Friggin' amazing!!!!! You've really got my mind working overtime now. I'm looking forward to seeing how well this will sand out and if the paint will cause it to shrink...unless you're planning on using Bondo or fiberglass over it. Hmmmmmmmm...the possibilities. :rolleyes:
The FF's are hollow and I need a backing for the double stick tape to hold the FF's to the fender. The foam will actually stay in the FF's. thus the foam itself will be the filling agent. yet, you just might have something there TAZ. We gotta ask Padanky, if there is a such thing as plastik spray. Kinda like bondo in spray can, I do have a mold now........;)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Go to your local art supply store, if they have a sculpting/model making section you might be able to find something there. When I did moldmaking there were about 3 zillion chemicals I could have used to make the molds as well as the casts. I haven't done it since my freshman year in college so things might have changed but the art stores are open and maybe someone there will know.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Ghost_1 said:
Go to your local art supply store, if they have a sculpting/model making section you might be able to find something there. When I did moldmaking there were about 3 zillion chemicals I could have used to make the molds as well as the casts. I haven't done it since my freshman year in college so things might have changed but the art stores are open and maybe someone there will know.
Hear that noise? That's the wheels in my head spinning....I'm on a quest now to find this chemical of which you speak!

·
Registered
454 Posts

·
NEXT LEVEL MOTORING
3,810 Posts

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
seems like will work, or you could do what you are doing and use the FF as a mold leaving you with a slightly smaller flare undernieth. You would have to smooth it out like Taz said, Just using resin over the foam might work. I rarely ever work with Fiberglass and that sort of stuff, you could experiment though

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Doesn't Bondo melt the foam? I thought I tried something like this before when working w/ fibrglass and making a mold. Eric, I would spray some foam in a mold and then check compatibilty w/ Bondo and fibreglass resin.

·
Registered
372 Posts
ThunderGod said:
whats up pete, where you been? been a long time.
well i got my go juice, i guess i'll go out and take those off.
just been chillin'. no new mods lately - though I do have the camber bolts for the front that I'll install later today.

I spent the morning tryin' to repair a "disk read error" on my son's PS2 machine. no luck. $50 bucks for a new laser it looks like.

I want a new body kit in a bad way - Noblesse, baby. just not sure if the 15's will do it justice. may just go with a F-1 lip.

post pics already!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
aaaaaaa i see the foam is making a backing for the high stick double side tape
the foam stays in NOW I GOT IT . i was up till 2 am looking at the pics.
think i am on the same page CHOICE WAY CHOICE :D

·
NEXT LEVEL MOTORING
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well Padanky, im almost there to be in the "SELECT CUSTOMS" after this customizing. :D

Here are few pics of what took place this morning. (it's alot like Christmas....)

Inspected the outer perimeter, to check the excess foam expansion. Everything is lookin good.

Here I go, start off with peeling the tape from the edges. This is where much prep work pays off.

As I peel the tape, I start to work at the edges of the FF, and start to pull away gentle from the fender. PATIENCE!, work it, peel and pull away.

This Blue tape works great. It came right off with the FF. Look, CLEAN as thou I just gave a car wash and a wax job. No problem here. Prep work counts.

Now, to peel the tape off of the FF. I wonder what lurks underneath that tape?........

BEAUTIFUL!!!
Tape comes right off. And looky what we have here. The foam has expanded, and filled the whole FF, and has molded to the contour of the outer fender. SUCCESS! *Napoleon Dynamite, YES!!!*

Now I will cut the foam off of the edges with a razor or dremel, then smooth out the edges.

Using the foam, there is not much weight added. few ounces maybe.
I will try to figure out other methods to seal, cover the backing of the FF to make it solid.
If I were to attach a double stick tape, and attach it to the fender, I see no problem at all at this point. The foam is moleded in the FF.

Well, I have couple of hours to kill now, here I go to the next three fenders.
I will keep you guys updated, maybe between intermission. :)

·
NEXT LEVEL MOTORING
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
short bus said:
aaaaaaa i see the foam is making a backing for the high stick double side tape
the foam stays in NOW I GOT IT . i was up till 2 am looking at the pics.
think i am on the same page CHOICE WAY CHOICE :D
YES!!! you got it DAVE!

I have a hard time explaining whats on my mind. There's so much in there to pull out. Such nkowlgde.:D

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.