Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Boxed Lifestyle
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kinda want to go camber but i am worried about tire wear. I am a college student so i dont really have the money to "test and see" with a set of tires.

Currently:
Im running my 15x7 xxr 510's with +38 offset with a 20mm spacer in the back. with about a 1.75" drop

Prospectively:
I want to run 15x8 rims with a -5 offset.

If i remove my rear spacers will they fit without rubbing and eliminate having to camber?

If not and i need to run camber how long do the tires typically last and how much camber would i need?

·
Boxed Lifestyle
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bbszero helped me figure out that the rims will fit without the spacer but I am still interested to learn about camber tire wear

Sent from somewhere you've never seen before using tapatalk

·
Registered
354 Posts
Camber tire wear will depend on a few things.

Amount of camber.

The tire depending on type and hardness of tread.

And most importantly the amount of toe in the vehicle.

Camber will tend to wear the inner part of your tire faster than no camber. but sometimes I have seen it may not be much faster than stock, depending on above factors.

But toe in/out is more of a concern.

You cam have 0 camber and toe be out of line and chew through tires quicker than -3 or even -5 degrees of camber with toe within spec.

·
Boxed Lifestyle
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Camber tire wear will depend on a few things.

Amount of camber.

The tire depending on type and hardness of tread.

And most importantly the amount of toe in the vehicle.

Camber will tend to wear the inner part of your tire faster than no camber. but sometimes I have seen it may not be much faster than stock, depending on above factors.

But toe in/out is more of a concern.

You cam have 0 camber and toe be out of line and chew through tires quicker than -3 or even -5 degrees of camber with toe within spec.
I want to go -3 camber. I just want to be fairly sure about the tire wear before I mistakenly chew through a set of tires. Also at -3 camber how would the ride feel? And can you run camber plates with wheel spacers?

Sent from somewhere you've never seen before using tapatalk

·
@HFDane on Instagram
6,304 Posts
You can run camber and wheel spacers no problem, you really won't feel any difference while running camber.

The best thing to do when running any camber shims is run toe correcting shims as well to get the toe as close to 0 as possible.

Here's a video of the toe correcting shims and how they work.

·
Boxed Lifestyle
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can run camber and wheel spacers no problem, you really won't feel any difference while running camber.

The best thing to do when running any camber shims is run toe correcting shims as well to get the toe as close to 0 as possible.

Here's a video of the toe correcting shims and how they work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLggvBqh1uU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Thanks dude super helpful. Just curious about how i would get those numbers to adjust the toe and camber without an alignment machine.

·
@HFDane on Instagram
6,304 Posts
Your best bet would be to get an alignment, get the numbers. Go home and calculate and setup the shims to the correct specs and install them. Then take it back in a couple days and have them check the alignment again under warranty. Paying $80 in the beginning will save you a crap ton of money in the long run.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Doc, thanks for posting that vid. I disagree about not being able to feel camber tho. I have noticed my car is a lot more slippery in the rear with shims on. I think a lot depends on wheel/tire size too.

To Skeezy: camber isn't that mod you want to do on a budget. I have probably spent over a grand this year fixing tires and junking rears due to camber and not having the toe corrected. If you take your time and do it right, you will still see minimal wear, but wear nonetheless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts