Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, ive had my box for about a month now and put about 1800 miles on it, so its already been worn in a tiny bit, but somethin that really gets me is sometimes when i go to put it in reverse, it doenst engage and i have to pump the clutch and try it again an it catches. does anyone else have this problem or is my box broken:mad:

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
bcPBox said:
hey, ive had my box for about a month now and put about 1800 miles on it, so its already been worn in a tiny bit, but somethin that really gets me is sometimes when i go to put it in reverse, it doenst engage and i have to pump the clutch and try it again an it catches. does anyone else have this problem or is my box broken:mad:
It shouldn't need a double clutch to get into reverse. Take it to the dealer and they can check it out for you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
must have really gotten on your nervs at first then, cuz i can tell ya im not to happy about it haha, nah it just seems to me that a new car should have no problem gettin reverse ya kno

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
automatic transmission i dont have that problemor iam missing a clutch pedal lolol:cool:

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
My box does it, and my Protege5 did it. I think it is pretty common with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Almost every manual tranny I have owned has done it. Not a big deal, you'll get used to it eventually, it is just because it doesn't have a synchronizer.

·
Who am I to say this?
2,110 Posts
I've owned 11 cars in my life as a driver, 6 of these where manual trans, every one of them would do the same thing every now and then, it is perfectly normal in a stick. :)

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
it's normal. to save on cost the unneeded reverse synchro is not present. and yes to better line up the reverse gear you can put it in first and then shift to reverse. they both share the same shaft.

·
Registered
212 Posts
^^ thats what i do....i just put it in either first or fifth first, then without letting off of the clutch, put in in reverse, no problems ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
The forward gears on most manual transmissions are helically cut, where as the reverse gear is lathe cut. Being lathe cut means that the gear teeth are cut straight, so in order for reverse to engage the gears must be perfectly lined up. Ok maybe I'm not explaining this very well, if I could draw you a picture you'd understand.
If you can let the car roll a little when you're engaging reverse it will go into gear easier.

·
Registered
144 Posts
hotbox05 said:
you can put it in first and then shift to reverse. they both share the same shaft.
I think I just do this out of habbit, I had to do it that way in my 95 Civic Hatchback for the 7 years I owned it, the only time I have problems putting my XB in reverse is when I'm coasting backwards and I try putting it in reverse so I can see out of my backup camera when backing down a hill.....but I don't mind the little clunk too much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.