Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
I dunno man, wouldn't a company like K&N be doing something like this too? I can see a reusable air filter. It's pretty much a dry media, but a reusable oil filter?

I suppose the only thing I can offer is, after pulling out literally a hundred oil filters in the last year even if I knew the filter was reusable I would put a fresh one on anyway. Then again that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
974 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Oil filters are changed out for a reason. Clean oil is critical to your engine.

Air filters can be made cleanable and high flow like K&N because the air going into your engine can have small particles in it and usually not hurt anything. In fact, most of your high flow filters don't filter as well as your OE filter and that is partially what allows them to flow better. And once dirty the reusable air filters never work as well as they did new, no matter how often or how well you clean them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good deal. Thanks.. that's why I asked.

Didn't know if buying this would go well with the $5 attachment that adds 40 more HP, 20 miles per gallon and makes your exhaust smell like bakery fresh muffins. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Master Shake said:
Good deal. Thanks.. that's why I asked.

Didn't know if buying this would go well with the $5 attachment that adds 40 more HP, 20 miles per gallon and makes your exhaust smell like bakery fresh muffins. :rolleyes:
lol,rofl, stupid need more then ten letters to reply!

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
i'm actually very interested. wish there were flow and filtration tests on it. the concept is great. but i wonder down to how many microns it filters , and how many is the standard / should be the standard.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HB -

I found some information about the company that makes it.. I think. The manufacturer link from AutoAnything had a basic description.

If you find it's actually a decent product, please let us know. I wouldn't mind saving some trash and money on more filters! :D

Chrisco Products International Inc
2215 S Grand Ave, Santa Ana, CA, United States
Mfg Automotive Parts And Accessories

Chrisco Products International Inc
Phone (714) 662-0157
Year Started 2006

·
Registered
120 Posts
hotbox05 said:
i'm actually very interested. wish there were flow and filtration tests on it. the concept is great. but i wonder down to how many microns it filters , and how many is the standard / should be the standard.
I use one of these on my 2003 Suzuki SV1000S. It's not from the same company, but it is very similar in appearance.

Heres the link to the one on my bike which will give a lot more info on how it works:

http://www.scottsperformance.com/products.php?PartType=3

·
Registered
974 Posts
The other problem with cleanable, reusable oil filters is most people won't take the time to get all of the cleaning solution they used out of the filter. You leave any cleaning solution in there and it will break down the oil because that is what cleaning solutions do.

I say no thanks to the reusable oil filter. They make them easy to change for a reason.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ctruss said:
The other problem with cleanable, reusable oil filters is most people won't take the time to get all of the cleaning solution they used out of the filter. You leave any cleaning solution in there and it will break down the oil because that is what cleaning solutions do.
Russ - good point. But even if you did clean it all (even use some compressed air), could it be ecofriendly and money-saving in comparison? Just wondering.. Oh, and how bad is it if there is a little cleaning fluid left? :confused:

And NV - thanks for the link to that. I've seen several motorcycle filters when I searched, but not for cars except this one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Magnetic drain plugs are ok but don't do enough. Filter wraps are about worthless. The idea is to catch the steel before it goes through the oil pump. Get some harddrive magnets and stick them to the bottom of your oil pan. You could drop the pan and put them inside too, just keep them away from the pickup. Check ebay for Neodymium magnets.

Stainless mesh filters have been around a long time. Oberg has been making them for as long as I can remember. 28 micron absolute

http://www.obergraceproducts.com/

If you search the net you'll find alot more. They're common with motorcycles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.