Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first posting here.

Believe it or not I do it on behalf of a friend owing Scion Xb.

I do electronic repairs, though not cars, and naturally friends and family think I can do everything electrical.

So I was tasked with this Scion xB 2010 that blows the TAIL fuse (10A) any time the lights is turned to either head or long.

It isn't cable, lamp or lamp socket because the same cables, sockets and lamps are used for the emergency lights and emergency lights work.
(CORRECTION: WRONG ASSUMPTION - READ SOLUTION!)

Can you help with accurate electrical diagram of the TAIL subsystem in the 2nd generation?

I found the diagrams for the 1st and for tC.

Tried buying access for the 2nd generation at chiltondyi,com and received nasty database access failure screen, upon which contacted support (which is at cengage.com BTW, not chiltondyi.com) and was told the're cancelling the order, then they're reinstating the order, then they've cancelled the order and yes they have the manual online yet Scion is not at all available to pick at their main page and is only seen through specific Google search, which makes it unprofessional in my eyes.

Thanks for any help!

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,507 Posts
Check the rear tail lights to make sure the parking light wire hasn't been pinched between the body and the light housing. You'll need to open the access panels in the hatch and undo the three 10mm sockets that hold the housing in place to pull it out and inspect the wires. Also it wouldn't hurt to double check the bulbs. A bulb could be shorting out as the parking and brake/turn/hazard lights are different filaments and wires so you could have a shorted parking light filament and the brakes/turn would still work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found the problem and resolved it, at least for the time being, to owner's acceptance.

First found - with great difficulty - a service manual for Scion XB 2008; had to pay $20 for it, but it was worth the money as it had, among lots of other things, exactly what I needed - electrical wiring which gave me the connectors and pins on them I needed in order to isolate the circuits one by one.

It ended up being one of the front turn / parking lights sockets (possibly both, read on).

That's the one that the dual lamp attaches to and then the cable is connected on the back.

it's a 3 pin socket - one common ground and one electrode for each of the two hot wires inside the lamp.

Well the copper connectors for the two electrodes of the lamp itself are twisted like springs in order to push and provide better mechanical contact with the lamp.

one of the two, however, goes above the electrode for the ground, which goes diametrally in the socket and should normally be leveled or below a plastic bar , but this one as a bit above it - just enough for the spring cathode for the lamp to actually touch and short when lamp is inserted.

Since parking light at the front is not essential and tail light is I ended up just pulling out the whole electrode for the parking light in each assembly and replacing the 10A tail fuse.

The car then had tail lights and turn lights front and back, only no parking lights at the front..fuse was not blowing any more.

Two replacement sockets are on their way for $15 or so a piece (eBay says they are not compatible, but I think the will be, looking at the pictures).

Hope this helps someone.

I had nearly 0 experience troubleshooting car electric system before.

Reading the introduction to electrical diagrams from the previous generation Scion XB 1st gen was very helpful, but finding the proper Scion XB 2008 service manual was crucial for fast and efficient troubleshooting.

The manual itself gives very detailed instruction on what to do, which I guess would be helpful for someone with less experience with electric circuits.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts