Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you know what kind of resistor spark plug will work in a xB? I have the densos in right now and without the resistors, it whines through the radio if the radio is loud. Although it kinda sounds like a supercharger LOL it gets kinda annoying.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Uh, the standard NGK plugs called for in the owners manual, the BKR5EYA, is a resistor plug. Here's the chart from NGK showing possible plugs to use...

The "R" in the plug designations denoted a 5K ohm resistor integral with the plug.

Per NGK:
NGK "R" or resistor spark plugs use a 5k ohm ceramic resistor in the spark plug to suppress ignition noise generated during sparking.

NGK strongly recommends using resistor spark plugs in any vehicle that uses on-board computer systems to monitor or control engine performance. This is because resistor spark plugs reduce electromagnetic interference with on-board electronics.

They are also recommended on any vehicle that has other on-board electronic systems such as engine-management computers, two-way radios, GPS systems, depth finders or whenever recommended by the manufacturer.

In fact, using a non-resistor plug in certain applications can actually cause the engine to suffer undesirable side effects such as an erratic idle, high-rpm misfire, engine run-on, power drop off at certain rpm levels and abnormal combustion.
HTH!

·
Registered
974 Posts
The 'R' in the part number indicates a resistor plug.

But I could be lying and it actually means 'Type-R'.... lol

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, if it means type r, maybe i will be able to vtec and redline at 8K LOL.

·
Registered
368 Posts
the noise you describe is most likely coming from you electrical system ( alternator). You describe it as a "whine", does it change with engine speed?

if it were your spark plugs(ignition system) it would be heard as a tick-tick-tick through the radio, where as a whine (sounding like a supercharger) is the alternator/regulator going south.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It does change sound when you vary RPM, but t only makes noise when the radio is on, so i doubt it is the alternator.

·
Registered
368 Posts
the whine you are hearing is coming through the speakers/audio system, you will only hear it when it(the radio) is on.it is not, from your decription, a mechanical whine, as in supercharger.:rolleyes:

install a noise filter in the power line or on the line from your alternator.
I would bet that what it is, has happened many times to many people.

The noise is electrical interferance from the alternator charging, you either have a very large draw on it or it's going south.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket head unit? Or any other equipment added to your car?

It sounds like a ground feedback. I would not say your alternator is going out. If you add electronics and use the stock ground or splice additional stuff to that ground point you can get that whine.

To fix just get an 8 gauge wire and a self tap screw with a star washer and connect it to a metal piece. For a ground wire the shorter/fatter, the better!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im just running stock sound system and i didnt add a ground kit or anything.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Im just running stock sound system and i didnt add a ground kit or anything.
Then I agree with above that your alternator might be going south. Have it tested, I know AutoZone does it for free. If it's not that do a inline filter like stated above. Something is not right, with a all stock system you shouldn't hear a whine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.