Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...I just picked up my XB today and I'm pretty happy with everything except the speakers. To me, they sound extremely thin and fatiguing.

I'd like to replace the front and back speakers (but keep the stock HU). I listen mainly to rock (and all it's flavors - hard rock, metal, etc.) I don't listen to much hip-hop or technobass.

I plan on also adding a Scoshe 10" sub enclosure (the one that fits in the cargo area) and a seperate amp later on.

I'd like to keep the speaker replacement around $250-300. Thanks

·
Registered
416 Posts
alright check it ou... just plan on getting a good set of front components.... and you can leave the rear alone... with a good set up front you wont even hear the rear for you maybe ummm.... well what stores do you have access 2 because you can go to like besbuy and get some type r components or you can go to circuit city and get some kicker components... but if you have a decent stereo shop near you you could get some focals, diamond audio,

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Check to make sure your radio is not set to TC,,,,,

Hold down the ssp button until you see vehicle type then I think you can turn the volume to change types???? I forget exactly how to do it, but the radios usually come set to TC and that is awful, you need the volume at like 50 to hear it, the xb has more bass and the xa is my preference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ogerdgonz said:

Hold down the ssp button until you see vehicle type then I think you can turn the volume to change types???? I forget exactly how to do it, but the radios usually come set to TC and that is awful, you need the volume at like 50 to hear it, the xb has more bass and the xa is my preference.
I cycled through the TC,XA and XB settings. You're right, the TC sounds awful!!!

I'm on XB right now, but for me, at anything about say 35-40 on the volume the sound gets unbareably thin and almost distorted sounding. Bass disappears and the highs are more crackly than **** crispies!

I'm almost beginning to wonder if my HU (I got the upgraded iPod HU) is hooked up wrong?!?!?

·
Registered
416 Posts
hmm

well i dont know my speakers dont sound half bad... when i had the amplified they sound pretty decent..... so maybe your headunit...

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's hard to say without sitting down with you and listening to what you are describing but based on what you're saying it sounds like your biggest gripe is related to not having enough power. Yeah a nice set of component speakers up front is definetly something to invest in, but I wouldn't do it without providing a generous amount of clean power at the same time. It will make an enormous difference. When you audition the speakers spend as much time as possible listening and listen to familiar music.

·
Registered
326 Posts
when i had my stock hu i kept it on xa and turned down the bass and turned up the treble . at high volume it stayed cleaner. also i suggest an mdf wood enclosure for better sound for a ten under the passenger side seat. also putting it under the seat u can have more space in the back and not have to worry about putting a hole in ur sub. u can have a local shop make u one or make ur own. if you wont i can give u the dimmension of mine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I replaced my front 4 speakers with Focals and they sound great with the stock (6-cd) HU. I plan to change the rears and add amps soon.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I installed a 5 channel Soundstream amp under the front passenger seat. I amplified my stock speakers with the amp's channels 1-4. Channel 5 runs a pair of Audiobahn 4 ohm 10's. The subs are installed in a down firing enclosure that's in the cargo area. It's perfectly flat so, I still retain the cargo area's floor. The floor however is a mere 9 inches higher than stock height now. LOL!! The whole setup sounds very balanced for various types of music. Nice and stealthy!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Setting the radio! WOW!

ogerdgonz said:

Just wanted to say THANX for this advice. My radio sounded so weak and thin; I read this thread this morning, took your advice and set mine to xA too! The difference is amazing! Seems like the dealers should tell you this. duh!

Anyways...THANX a bunch, ogerdgonz! :)

·
RS4 #303
4,900 Posts
welcome to the club

should be a small phanplete just on your stereo included with stuff from dealer in owners manual packet the info is in there:)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Yeah...It's in the manual... :D

Tomas

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hmmm...now there's an interesting concept...reading a manual.

Duh on me! :eek:

... But reading the forum is more fun! :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Feelin Dah Beat!

Just for fun I pressed the ssp button again and now it didnt say xB Ax or Tc... it said "Feel". Hey, that sounded pretty good to me so I left it there and wow! I love it. My left thigh kinda vibrates with the right music! cool!!!:eek: :D :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek: :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Boston S65 in the doors and S45 in the dash. No amp and they sound great!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.