Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I got the heat reflective sheet to replace the hoodliner. I ended up breaking 1 clip in the process and losing 1 clip which fell in a crack between the battery! :mad:

But after removing the OEM hoodliner, I discovered that one of the wiper fluid connectors was badly melted, it still works though. Anyway, below are the images. For now I chose not to use the adhesive on the heat reflective sheet. Hopefully, this shield will keep the hood's paint as well as the wiper fluid hoses from dangerous heat from the turbo. It doesn't look as nice as I imagined, but I think it's decent. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. :D

Original hood liner! Check out the battle scars!

Hood without the liner!

Melted wiper hose connector!

Cutting the heat shield!

Finally installed! (minus the 2 clips!) :)

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
That should help alot!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't had a chance to drive with it yet, but what I'll do is after driving feel the top of the hood and then open the hood and feel the new lining...carefully of course!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks 1LowXB!

The material is actually not that rigid which you guys can probably tell by looking at it, I'm hoping that going at high speed won't loosen it or anything, the clips do seem to do a good job of holding it in place, I'll have to see when I test it out! Of course when I get the new grill too it will allow more airflow so we'll have to see...I may have to try to use the adhesive that's built into it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did try to put on this "cool tape" I also got to hold the windshield wiper hose in place but the adhesive didn't stick, I'm guessing because it was sooooo cooooold when I was doing all this. :eek:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That looks cool. Why was your original hood liner all f-ed up?
My original liner was all messed up b/c I have a custom turbo setup which has a top mounted turbo and with the very high temperatures that the casing gets to, I guess it was too much for the sound insulation liner to handle! That's one reason why I did not want to show my engine to anyone, the hood liner looked like junk! :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
BTW, I do want to give my thanks to those of you who gave me ideas on the thermal insulation idea (scvscions, squirrel, grizzly_choppers, ScionScotty, and others)! :D

BTW, here is a link to a website that is a little cheaper than the one I got at ebay. It's called the DEI Floor and Tunnel Shield and can withstand direct heat of 1750 degrees which is pretty good! I got the 4x21 size.

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/DEI_thermal.htm

I also got the DEI Cool-Tape that I mentioned in one of the above posts which I want to use to line my plastic cowling that is somewhat melted. :rolleyes: Either that or construct some kind of shield between the turbo housing and the plastic cowling like dirtyrice suggested to me. I can line that with my left over heat shield.

p.s. I just thought of something that may make my replacement hood liner look better, if I put one of the liners that I've seen on some xBs that people use as mirrors that would give me extra rigidity and more surface area for the adhesive on my shield to stick on and the shield will look smoother with less wrinkles...what do you guys think of that?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mosh_xb, thanks, right now the boost seems to max out at about 7 psi. My boost gauge is pretty small so it's hard to tell exactly but from the times I've glanced down at it, it did max out around there.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
preacherboy said:
BTW, I do want to give my thanks to those of you who gave me ideas on the thermal insulation idea (scvscions, squirrel, grizzly_choppers, ScionScotty, and others)! :D

BTW, here is a link to a website that is a little cheaper than the one I got at ebay. It's called the DEI Floor and Tunnel Shield and can withstand direct heat of 1750 degrees which is pretty good! I got the 4x21 size.

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/DEI_thermal.htm

I also got the DEI Cool-Tape that I mentioned in one of the above posts which I want to use to line my plastic cowling that is somewhat melted. :rolleyes: Either that or construct some kind of shield between the turbo housing and the plastic cowling like dirtyrice suggested to me. I can line that with my left over heat shield.

p.s. I just thought of something that may make my replacement hood liner look better, if I put one of the liners that I've seen on some xBs that people use as mirrors that would give me extra rigidity and more surface area for the adhesive on my shield to stick on and the shield will look smoother with less wrinkles...what do you guys think of that?
DEI is good stuff, I used there header wrap on my Mazda and after driving you could actually reach down and grab the header. Good stuff.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
preacherboy said:
Well, the underhood mirror I run is stainless steel and was pretty expensive to just cover up. It's possible that you could get somebody to waterjet you something similar out of aluminum (to save cost and weight since the steel is heavy too), but I don't know anybody that does that in your area.

It would probably make it stick better though!

-Alex

·
Registered
310 Posts
preacherboy said:
Mosh_xb, thanks, right now the boost seems to max out at about 7 psi. My boost gauge is pretty small so it's hard to tell exactly but from the times I've glanced down at it, it did max out around there.
7 psi isn't bad at all.

Have you dynoed your box at all?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Grizzly, what kind of place do I go to for people who do that?

Mosh, last time I dynoed, I maxed out at 146hp.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.