Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I took these shots to help with the questions about removing the center dash trim on the Box. Hope it helps.

First, remove the three control knobs from the center dash unit. I advise moving them all to the farthest left position for easier reinstallation.

Once the knobs are removed you will be able to see the two Phillips head screws holding the face plate on. Remove these screws and set them in a safe place.

Once the screws are removed you can place your fingers at the bottom edge of the center trim piece and pull towards yourself. It will seem like the trim isn't going to budge but it will. Some use a screwdriver with a towel over it to prevent scratches but I've found the finger method works just fine. It comes off easier each time you remove it.

Then move to the other side and pull it out.

When the bottom half is clear, move up the sides of the trim piece pulling towards yourself. You will notice as you get to the top that there are two tabs holding the trim in place. I have found it is easy to push down on the trim and then pull back to release the two tabs.

Once the top piece is free you will need to disconnect the three electrical connections on the trim piece.

Squeeze the connectors and pull the wired plugs out. Now your center trim piece is free from the dash.

If you wish to continue removing the center dash, grasp the center glove box or "oven" with both hands and pull straight forward.

There are no screws holding this piece, only the tabs at the top and sides.

Here are the electrical connections behind the "oven" panel. The cigarette lighter and on this xB, the fog light switch.

Installation of both items is the reverse of this process.

Hope this helps those of you who haven't done this yet. It gets easier each time and you'll find it's a common thing to do with some of the mods we make to our boxes.

Reactions: JPB

·
Registered
485 Posts
i did this today for the 1st time in about 15 minutes. very detailed guide...thnx.

bump. this should go in the DIY section too i think :)

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
toaster said:
Awesome illustration for the novice folks. Thanks for taking the time...
No worries, I've learned so much on here from other Boxer's. Wanted to give back a little.

Reactions: JPB

·
Wawazat?
189 Posts
surfcitylocal said:
No worries, I've learned so much on here from other Boxer's. Wanted to give back a little.
I've learned a bunch too, it's a great online community.

·
Registered
485 Posts
im having a problem with removing the piece that covers the speedomeer and all of the warning lights. the screw that holds it in place basically fell apart on me. i used the right size screw driver, twisted it the right way, but the screw seemed as if it were wax. i mean it literally fell apart. idk what to do to get it off now. the screw is in there real tight with no way to grip on to it. as soon as i begin to turn the screwdriver the screw came right apart. its really depresing because ive never seen a screw so soft and now i cant get the casing off. HELP

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
backseatchris said:
im having a problem with removing the piece that covers the speedomeer and all of the warning lights. the screw that holds it in place basically fell apart on me. i used the right size screw driver, twisted it the right way, but the screw seemed as if it were wax. i mean it literally fell apart. idk what to do to get it off now. the screw is in there real tight with no way to grip on to it. as soon as i begin to turn the screwdriver the screw came right apart. its really depresing because ive never seen a screw so soft and now i cant get the casing off. HELP
It is made of plastic, you will need to pick it out with something. I ruined mine. And never put anything back in it's place, and had no problems since. It is a two-piece thing kinda like a rivet, once you pick the center screw section out, then you can get the outer section out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.