Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to remove the side mirror panels. I know how to remove the housing from the vehicle but I can't seem to get the actual glass mirror panel out of the housing. I thought I had read somewhere that it can just be pulled out but I'm not sure and I don't want to take a chance on breaking it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Myopic said:
The mirror’s glass has a black plastic backing plate which attaches to the mirror's directional motor by two flat tabs and two wide "C" shaped clamps. The tabs go into slots at the top of the motor's plastic platform and the "C" clamps fit around bars at the bottom of the platform. The center of the backing plate has white adhesive sealant between it and the motor’s platform.

To remove the mirror, press the glass at the top until the motor is in its most upward position. You will hear some clicks as the mirror moves. Use your fingers to pull at the bottom of the backing plate and the “C” clamps will lift off of the bars. Keep a slow even pressure on the backing plate as you pull. The white adhesive sealant will give a lot of resistance, and will stretch into thin strings as it separates if the temperature is warm. Lift the backing plate away from the slots on the platform.

Caution: if you use anything besides your fingers, be sure it is plastic or wood and is a couple of inches wide so it distributes the force. Do not use anything metal, like a screwdriver. Also, put a cloth over the mirror housing to protect the paint from the pry bar.

To reinstall the mirror, be sure the motor’s platform is at the most upward direction of travel. Insert the tabs first, and press at the bottom of the mirror until the “C” clamps lock onto the bars. You will hear the clicks as the platform moves to the downward position. You may not hear or feel when the backing plate snaps in place on the platform, so be sure it is attached. If the tabs are not seated correctly in the slots, they tend to drop out as you press on the bottom of the mirror. The white adhesive sealant is reusable even after several removals of the mirror.

The first time I took my xB’s mirror glass off, the adhesive sealant was so strong I was sure the glass would break; but it did not. Take your time and it is not too bad.
Holy Explanations Bat Man! That was awesome. I'm on my way out now to rip out (ever so gently) some mirror panels. Thank you, thank you, thank you. :D :D :D :D :D

Reactions: 42_Hugo
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.