Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but didn't find anything. What is the trick to removing the middle grille? Do I just push it back and out like the lower grille? It looks like the left side won't push back and needs to come out the front but the rest looks like it will pop by pushing it inward. Any help or suggestions? I'm not looking to remove the bumper for this, just trying to do a mod to the grille.

I had no problems removing and installing the lower grille, mod went smooth on that one. :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just push it in.. it has clips like the bottom grill the only thing is it has some plastic pieces on each side that run front to back between the grill and the radiator, (I guess to make air flow straight to the radiator) that make it seem harder push in but the bend out the way when you push it ..you will see the pieces i am talking about if you look in the grill. then once popped loose you have to do a little work to get them to slide out but wasnt too hard to do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool !! I figured it was that simple but wanted to ask before I broke anything. I pushed pretty good on it last nights and had the right side popped but figured I'd stop there until I found better advice. I'll try again tonight before I put the lower back in.

·
Registered
354 Posts
no problem.. I thought i was going to break it myself trying to get mine out finally it gave..its a little tricky putting it back in also.. if you havent already done it... but good thing is the bumpers and all are plastic the flex easily just take some time and wont scratch bumper

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No kidding. I am removing both grilles, sanding and painting the top edge with factory touch-up paint and replacing. In the lower grille I cut some out and flushed-in some cool little driving lights with matching silver edges. I like things to look factory so I think this will look pretty cool once it's all done. Right now the lower grille is done and re-installed with the driving lights active. I still need to sand and paint the top grille.

I also have a neat little idea for the factory driving light holes. I removed the plugs for access and got to looking and came up with an idea. I'll let you gys know how that turns out.

Any ideas on the factory fog light wiring? I found the empty plugs hanging behind the headlights, wondering if I can use those for the aftermarket driving lights or not. Currenly I have the driving lights set to come on with the parking lights so there is no other switch, they are on any time the parking lights are on.

·
Registered
354 Posts
cool post pics when you are done.. and dont know if you have or not. but if running driving lights off same wire as parking lights you may want to add an inline fuse or maybe even a switch for them.. for safety reasons.. that way if anything happens to drivign lights or prking lights and you get a short fuse will blow and not ruin other set of lights.. but that just what i would do..

if you run a switch you can still wire it to parking lights just put inline fuse between switch and parking light wire.

as far as the plugs behind the fog light covers i am not sure.. i know stock fog lights are set up to a switch inside but also wired from factory to only come on when headlight are on.. so even if lights are off and switch on factory fog lights wont come on until you turn head lights on..and thats is how they are wired from factory.. (i got factory installed)

·
Registered
354 Posts
if you got short ram intake i know a guy that drilled a bunch of holes in the drive side fog light cover and attached some screen material to the back of the cover so looks finished and not like open holes.. by doing this the intake gets air straight to it when driving and it looks really good too.

just idea

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did wire the driving lights to the parking lights but have an in-line fuse on them too. I was going to run the relay that came with them but figured the fuse would be adaquate. I may look into using the stock wiring later and just re-wire inside to a switch so I can use them without the headlights.

I have a K&N filter but it's in the stock air box, no CAI. I have other plans for the stock driving light holes, it has nothing to do with air-intake systems though. :D

I'll post pics when I get it done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.