Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I bought a set of Rays Texan Shotgun two-piece forged wheels. They need some restoration. The lips/barrels need to be re-clearcoated and I'd like to have the centers rechromed. I did get a quote from a company in Vancouver, WA. They said between $500 and $1,300 for the set, depending on if they needed to replace the fasteners that hold the wheels together. Unlike some two-piece wheels (such as BBS), these fasteners have nuts on the inside, and no hex or anything on the outwards-facing side, so I hope they aren't going to be difficult to remove (see pic below).

Can anyone recommend a good place for wheel restoration/repair? The closer to Portland, OR the better.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I don't know about out by you, but there is a great place here in MN. I would bet money there are tons of places in southern Cali..... search google.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have searched Google, and there are a lot of places out there; I was wondering if anyone had any place they could recommend. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha -- I hear ya.

Good news -- I was able to remove the bolts/faces/barrels from one of the wheels. I think the more I can disassemble these the less labor costs a shop would charge.

(BTW: I grew up in MN -- 21 years there)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I disassembled the wheels, hopefully it'll make them easier to refinish.

You can see the inside of the barrels are pretty dirty/oxidized. I'm tempted to take a brillo pad to them. The backs of the centers are also oxidized. They came apart pretty easily, actually. I got the name of a couple of places around town, so we'll see. I just wonder how much work I can do up front to reduce refinishing costs ...

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I will so gonna put Naval Jelly on those corrosion. is the lip also chromed? if not, if you are patient you can buff those. what is the condition of the chrome face? you can use a metal polish to shine those up.
Otherwise, give it to the pros.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sid said:
I will so gonna put Naval Jelly on those corrosion. is the lip also chromed? if not, if you are patient you can buff those. what is the condition of the chrome face? you can use a metal polish to shine those up.
Otherwise, give it to the pros.
Naval Jelly, eh? I've never used the stuff.

The lips are not chromed -- just clear coated.

The chrome faces are about a 6 to 7 out of 10. One face has some bubbling; the others just have pits/scratches. Nothing really really bad but probably wouldn't just buff out. The large plastic chrome-plated centercaps should probably get re-plated, too.

·
Registered
974 Posts
WARRNING!

I was contacted by a friend of mine that bought that set of wheels just to the left of the set you bought in one of those first pics. He told me that he was told they were 4-100 bolt pattern when he recieved them but they turned out to be 4-114.3. Please make sure this same thing did not happen to you before you put any money into refinishing them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WARRNING!

I was contacted by a friend of mine that bought that set of wheels just to the left of the set you bought in one of those first pics. He told me that he was told they were 4-100 bolt pattern when he recieved them but they turned out to be 4-114.3. Please make sure this same thing did not happen to you before you put any money into refinishing them.
That is 100% excellent adivce, and something I was going to do. These area 4/5x100 (there are 9 holes). It says 4x100 on the RAYS stickers, but I am still going to check myself because I'm paranoid like that.

Good information, though!!!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Please make sure you check. His wheels had 4-100 stickers on them as well but they were 4-114.3.

·
Registered
59 Posts
if the centers are chromed why not do the same to the lips, that way it is easier and you dont have to worry about the clear and all that bs most chrome shops will do it for 80 per wheel, dont let them charge you double though, tell them you made their lives easier by taking them apart

brent

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't want to rechrome them because: 1) I'd have to ship them to California and 2) If they do get scratched again, I have the rechrome them, where as reparing a polished rim is easier. Plus, chrome is heavey. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts