Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it safe to re-drill rims to have diffrent lug patterns ?

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Summit Racing has templates, I was just on there site.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I already talked to ya, but ill answer it here too. Itll depend on the wheel in question. Some have the lugs built into the spokes basically, and wont allow it really. You're best bet is to find a set with center caps that hide a flat bottom. That flat place is easiest to fill and redrill if necessary. (or just redrill). It is safe in quite a few applications, if you get a good shop to do it. I swear, if you get out your handdrill and try, I WILL kick your butt. lol.

Scotty

·
RADIER HATER!!!
1,198 Posts
I'll have to agree w/ Scotty - While I was in the industry we did this on more than one occasion - a good shop will do it right and you will have no problems.

What wheels are you thinking of?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
ScionScotty said:
I already talked to ya, but ill answer it here too. Itll depend on the wheel in question. Some have the lugs built into the spokes basically, and wont allow it really. You're best bet is to find a set with center caps that hide a flat bottom. That flat place is easiest to fill and redrill if necessary. (or just redrill). It is safe in quite a few applications, if you get a good shop to do it. I swear, if you get out your handdrill and try, I WILL kick your butt. lol.

Scotty

( puts down drill)

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Depends who you talk to. I dont see a problem, as I was running 25mm spacers myself. (not PCD changers, but still). It wouldnt be an issue in my mind. The only thing I would probably not do is camber if i had big spacers/changers like that. The thought just scares me for some reason.

scotty

·
RADIER HATER!!!
1,198 Posts
Your better off filln-n-drilln if the wheel is capable of being filled and drilled. Those spacers have alot of threads that can get crossed, back off, etc. I destoryed more than a few cars in my days trying to get those damn things off.......Just my 2 cents..........

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
EticketXb said:
Your better off filln-n-drilln if the wheel is capable of being filled and drilled. Those spacers have alot of threads that can get crossed, back off, etc. I destoryed more than a few cars in my days trying to get those damn things off.......Just my 2 cents..........
Of course it would be ideal, but its cheaper Ive found to do the PCD changers. Its a money issue too. The spacers I have are still the 12x1.5 that comes stock on our cars, so I guess I dont have to worry about any differences of crossed, backed off, and etc. Theyre just the same as stock pretty much. It would be ideal I agree to have the proper fitting wheels though on the hub without spacers, and have that extra 30mm of lip!

scotty

·
Registered
974 Posts
The only way to safely drill a new or another bolt pattern in wheels is to make absolutely sure you have wheels that are hubcentric for your car. If the wheels are only hubcentric for the xB because of some of those little hubcentric rings, it won't be safe for road use. You need to first find wheels that are hubcentric on the xB on their own without the rings, then you can go from there.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
It helps but not totally necessary. The ring has to just be bigger than the xBs hub center. (i forget it off the top of my head). Not too many will be smaller. I personally have never owned a set of hubcentric wheels besides the stock steelies :/

scotty

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts