Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed my progress coilovers a few weeks ago. Thought I had them all dialed in, but now see that my rear passanger side sits 1/4" higher than the driver rear. The front sides are even when measuring from the ground to the bottom of the skirt and when measuring from the center of the wheel to the fender. It's just the rear that sits weird. So tonight I tried a bunch of different height adjustments, but same result. Next I put back my tanabes in the rear to see if it's a spring issue with the progress springs, but same problem. Rear passanger sits 1/4" higher than the rear driver. What else could be the problem? Shocks are the stock and only have about 2-3 months wear on them. I had monroe 5870 in prior, but they were to soft with the drop on the coilovers, so I installed the stock shocks again. They should not be sagging already. Any other suggestions, or anyone else have issues with this also?

Oh....my settings on the rear coilovers are all the way down, so an uneven adjustment setting isn't the problem

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Mine is like that slightly with my TRD's. My girl noticed it first, and then I stood back to look at it.

The only thing I could think of was that the spare tire was heavier than my amplifier......Trust me, I know THAT'S NOT the reason why, but it's the ONLY conclusion I could come to...... LMK what you find!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
forsure I'l let you know.

it's just bugging the hell out of me cause 1. I'm anal about my ride height 2. the front is already set about 1/4" lower than the rear. Front is at a perfect height, but the rear doesn't go as low as the front to perfectly match. Don't want to raise the front any, so I can live with the slight rake. Just don't want to raise the driver rear side up to match the passenger side cause that would mean about an even 1/2" rake. Waaaaay to much rake to live with there.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
I appreciate it. I'm planning on getting rid of my TRD's soon anyways. There's a guy in my club who's getting a new xB and I'm first in line for his Progress springs. I sure hope that fixes it all!

·
Pwner of all
143 Posts
This happened to me too, but w Tanabe springs on a friends xB. After f**ckn with the rears for like an hour...i decided that the position of the spring is very important to a level height. What i mean is how the coil rests at the top, affects the drop VERY minimally. I was around a 1/4 inch off on the driver side., and after twisting the spring to ensure proper seating was attained, it leveled it to about only 1/8th of an inch off lol. After settling for a week of steady driving, the uneven drop was no longer noticeable.

HTH a little at least...

C

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hmmmm. How much gas is in the tank?? Full tank will make the left rear sit lower, empty tank higher. There is also some ride height variation in all cars from the factory, indeed manufacturers often post high and low limits for ride height measured at the body. These ranges used to be as much as +- nearly 1/2" altho more recent cars I have looked at are more like +-1/4". (I have level controlled air ride, as long as I reset the ride height periodically...I have to push 1 button:).....my box is at +- 1/16", but the pressures in the bags vary to compensate for the load. There will be significantly more pressure in the left rear with a full tank of gas than without. The other bags and struts vary as well with fuel level the car but not as much.)

As Cmdxb mentioned proper seating of the springs precisely into the end of the coiled recess in the spring seat is neccessary as well. If the spring isn't positioned so that the very end of the coil is right in the end of the seats recess a slight ride height difference will result.

·
Pwner of all
143 Posts
nice..that air ride sounds pimpin Ted!

·
bB Squad
704 Posts
A few questions:

Are the front set identical on both sides?

Are the coilovers both sitting properly on the rubber perches in the back?

Do you have a rear anti-sway bar?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Damn dude, mine is the same way. Except I have a 1/2" difference. This weekend I'll try spinning the spring around, hopefully it will help.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I would not worry about 1/2" or less difference (well I might investigate 1/2 " to be sure nothing was out of place...then i would ignore it) . Anything 1/4 inch or less is normal (not saying you might not be able to improve it) and I would not spend a lot of effort chasing it

·
Pwner of all
143 Posts
I would not worry about 1/2" or less difference (well I might investigate 1/2 " to be sure nothing was out of place...then i would ignore it) . Anything 1/4 inch or less is normal (not saying you might not be able to improve it) and I would not spend a lot of effort chasing it
x2 damn this message must be 10 charachters long! lol

·
Registered
212 Posts
every scion i've seen is like this, the only thing that i can think of is that as some cars have different cambers on each side (not a noticible ammount, but usually one side is more then the other) is to compensate for the "crest" in roads....thats really the only explanation on maybe why it could have been done on purpose... :confused:

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
forsure I'l let you know.

it's just bugging the hell out of me cause 1. I'm anal about my ride height 2. the front is already set about 1/4" lower than the rear. Front is at a perfect height, but the rear doesn't go as low as the front to perfectly match. Don't want to raise the front any, so I can live with the slight rake. Just don't want to raise the driver rear side up to match the passenger side cause that would mean about an even 1/2" rake. Waaaaay to much rake to live with there.
dude, I hope you're going on the WesCo meet this coming wednesday.
I wanna see what your talking about.
ditto on what Suspended said.
and be aware that on the rear the driver side wheel is more tuck in than the passenger side.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for all your input!!

Ted: While under the car last night I did notice the gas tank is placed more towards the driver side, so I was thinking that could make a difference. You're also probably right on this being normal. Have to look into it more. That digital air setup looks like the way to go! Wish bags were someone convienent for me right now. I drive a lot of mountain roads, and wouldn't want to risk any problems up there with this car.

Bb Gunz: The front is set identical to eachother. I get the same height measurements there. I checked soooo many times to make sure that they were sitting correctly on the perch and rubber spring mount on top. Was one of my first thoughts on the problem. No sway bar installed.

cmdxb: I'll try spinning it a little to see what it does. Hopefully it'll level it somewhat.

After messing with it till 1am last night and all the input I'm going to assume that it's normal. I even switched the shocks around, so I could tell if one was sagging a little or not. The beauty of these cars is that you can do stuff like that in 20 minutes. Things are nothing but plastic and snaps with a few nuts and washers included. :D I could of swore the height was even when I had df210's on though. That's why I keep messing with it so much, but maybe I was wrong.

Sorry Sid can't make it to the West Covina meets for a bit. I've got school from 7-9:45 on Wednesdays now. Kinda bummed, cause I was looking forward to the next one. Yeah the driver side is more tucked than the passenger :(

I guess what I can do is take the spring collar out of the rear passenger side, and just let the spring sit directly on the spring perch included with the coilovers. That should lower that corner about a 1/4", and even it out.

·
bB Squad
704 Posts
The DF210 probably allowed the suspension to settle a little more even, especially in the front.

My Progress setup is set exact on both sides and there is no noticable uneveness (<--not sure if that's a word).

The reason I mention the anti-sway bar is if you did get one it may help keep the left and right more even. And it may transfer some of the that out-of-whack-ness to the front, which is obviously more stiff with the Progress setup. I have the Progress rear anti-sway bar and am very happy with its performance.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just to confirm TerribleTed is right....all my suspension is stock & so are my wheels, and you can definitely see that my driver's side rear is slightly lower than the passenger side. Doesn't matter if I've got a full tank of gas or not, it's always about the same difference in height.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Just to confirm TerribleTed is right....all my suspension is stock & so are my wheels, and you can definitely see that my driver's side rear is slightly lower than the passenger side. Doesn't matter if I've got a full tank of gas or not, it's always about the same difference in height.
If thats the case then I am only 1/2 right:)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^^^cause they're all the way down in the rear already, and didn't want to raise it up anymore if it wasn't needed. The front already sits 1/4" lower than the rear as is. My heights as measured from floor to bottom of skirt at each corner:

RF=5"
LF=5"
RR=5 1/2"
RL=5 1/4"

It sounds like it's a normal thing, so guess I'll have to live with it, or get bags :D.

·
Registered
325 Posts
^^^cause they're all the way down in the rear already, and didn't want to raise it up anymore if it wasn't needed. The front already sits 1/4" lower than the rear as is. My heights as measured from floor to bottom of skirt at each corner:

RF=5"
LF=5"
RR=5 1/2"
RL=5 1/4"

It sounds like it's a normal thing, so guess I'll have to live with it, or get bags :D.
This isnt really the best place to measure. Due to the mounting of the skirts there may be variation in measurements. The factory method is annoying, it uses points on the suspension (pretty hard to get to when you are lowered!!). The most consistant spot is to measure from the center top of each wheel opening (make your tape align down past the center of the wheel)down to the ground. Very fast, easy to read the tape, and no bending over:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.