Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my stock xB shocks with Monroe shocks today and thought I'd share the process with you. It's so simple even I could do it, oh wait, I did do it.

You don't have to jack up the Box if you can fit under it. I used two ramps to gain the needed space underneath the Box since I have it lowered two inches and my belly is too big any way. Us Big Dogs need the extra space.

I ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT MAY OCCUR TO YOU OR YOUR VEHICLE. USE THIS DESCRIPTION AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Tools you'll need:
1. 17mm socket
2. 14 mm socket
3. 14 mm open end wrench
4. Breaker bar
5. Rachet
6. Small screw driver

First, locate the top of the shock tower in the rear of the storage area

Then, using the small screw driver, remove the plastic cover

This will expose the nuts holding the shock to the top mount

Place the open end 14 mm wrench on the lower nut and use the 14 mm socket to loosen the top nut

After the two nuts are removed, lift off the large washer from the bolt

Next remove the rubber bushing from the bolt, that's it for the top of the shock mount

Now it's time to get under the Box. You will need the 17 mm socket and ratchet, along with a breaker bar to loosen the nuts.

After removing the nut and washer, pull the lower shock mount towards the center of the vehicle and it will come right off.

Now, take the old shock to your workbench and prepare to remove the top plastic housing. (it's not included with most replacement shocks...you may wish to clean it up while the shock is off)

The cover simply slides off the upper strut of the stock shock.

Just a side note, there have been posts concerning the Monroe shocks for the Echo and it's ability to lower the vehicle due to it's shorter length. You'll see here that it is indeed shorter but it has no effect on the height of the vehicle. The height is obtained by the size of the coil springs.

The Monroe shocks include a new washer that is installed between the rubber boot and the bushing cup.

After the washer is installed and the bushing is set into the bushing cup you are done with the assembly.

The installation is the exact reverse of the removal steps. (When placing the lower eyebolt opening on the lower mount, make sure the larger opening is towards the wheel. You'll be able to see the difference in size between the two. If it's backwards you won't be able to get the shock back on). I was doing this job alone so I didn't take pics of the process. Just read this post backwards and you'll be able to do it just fine.

The new shocks did not lower the Box any more than what it was but the ride is greatly improved. I highly suggest this swap for anyone who has used springs to lower the height of their Box.

The shocks are Monroe 5987's and I purchased them at Napa Auto Parts for $33.00 each. The total time spent on the removal and re-installation was 1.25 hours, that included taking time to snap photos.

I hope you find this DIY helpful and will try it out.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Very nice write-up! :D

·
TEAM RED CUP
278 Posts
Sears had monroe sensa tracs on a Memorial day say, but sadly not the ones for the echo.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Nice! So hows the ride? Been looking to replace the stock shocks since I put in the progressive coilovers. People say it's bouncy back there.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fcastle said:
Nice! So hows the ride? Been looking to replace the stock shocks since I put in the progressive coilovers. People say it's bouncy back there.
Your passengers will love you for it. The ride is great!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
So you are saying y ou can change the shock without using a jack at all?

Nice DIY...it shall come in handy

·
Registered
217 Posts
Great writeup! I discovered last night that my rear shocks are leaking badly and are in desperate need of replacement so I'm going to do exactly what you did.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, you can replace the shocks without the aide of a jack. The weight of the vehicle rests on the coil springs. Pete you Sir are correct. (Don Pardo, tell him what he's won)
This is one of the easiest mods/repairs you'll do to the Box.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DTRAIN619 said:
Good job, Taz!! Glad you posted the part # as well!!
Thanks Dion, just trying to do my part to make everyone's butts comfortable...or something like that. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Surf,
Great post. Getting ready to install springs and shocks. Question on the new bump stops that come with mine/most performance springs. Since you say you have non-stock springs, are you using different/modified or stock stops? And is the bushing to which you refer the same as the bump stop?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Surf,
Great post. Getting ready to install springs and shocks. Question on the new bump stops that come with mine/most performance springs. Since you say you have non-stock springs, are you using different/modified or stock stops? And is the bushing to which you refer the same as the bump stop?
The black, ribbed rubber piece here is the bumpstop for the rear of the car.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Quick comparison drawings of the two Sensatrac shocks being used in the xB showing how the bump stop is eliminated when using the shorter 5870 shock not actually designed for this suspension design

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok. I was confused about what was the bump stop. Tomas, thanks for the diagrams. Seen it before but now it makes more sense.
Tomas/Brian, so is that bump stop in the pic modified or stock; looks stock. I thought all lowering springs required either new stops or shortening/cutting the stock ones. My Hotchkis spring instructions refer to 'cutting' off the stock stop and putting in the new one. The new stops look way shorter than the stock stop and resemble more the bushing. So I was not sure what part it was.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
hey taz when you lift the rear with those do they make a clunk sound cause they did with mine and how much lower did it make it is it right to the top of the rim

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey taz when you lift the rear with those do they make a clunk sound cause they did with mine and how much lower did it make it is it right to the top of the rim
I don't have a clunk with these shocks. Did you make sure the parts were put back in the correct order? As far as the height, there was no difference with the new shocks, it's the springs that change the ride height.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Nice write-up Taz!!!!!!!

If anything, the shocks WON'T bottom out now due to less length in the shock rod.

I'm going to have to write down that part number.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Ok, I have to know. Are you really wearing plasic food preperation gloves? Other than that thanks for the write up.

Ohh almost forgot do you have trouble with bumping or rubbing in the back when it is loaded down. I do alot of family travel in the car (27k in the first year) and with a wife, daughter and one on the way it gets packed.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.