Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I noticed small oil spots on the floor of my garage and low and behold the rear main seal is leaking. The car has close to 83k miles. Is this a common issue with such less mileage? I have a 2005 Release Series. I was given quotes between $700 to $900 to fix the issue given the motor and transmission must be removed.

I did some research and came across additives that may stop the rear main seal leak. One of those additives is ATP AT-205 Reseal. There are many more products that are the same or similar such as Blue Devil and Bar’s Leaks Rear Main Sealer additives. Have any of you tried these products and has it worked? I figured I’d try and rather spend the $10 to $15 and give it a shot rather than $900.

I’m leaving towards the ATP AT-205 given the many reviews on Amazon. Some say it works while others say it doesn’t and prefer Blue Devil. At this point I’ll try anything.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Very odd you would have that issue with such low mileage. But mechanical issues can happen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone,

I noticed small oil spots on the floor of my garage and low and behold the rear main seal is leaking. The car has close to 83k miles. Is this a common issue with such less mileage? I have a 2005 Release Series. I was given quotes between $700 to $900 to fix the issue given the motor and transmission must be removed.

I did some research and came across additives that may stop the rear main seal leak. One of those additives is ATP AT-205 Reseal. There are many more products that are the same or similar such as Blue Devil and Bar’s Leaks Rear Main Sealer additives. Have any of you tried these products and has it worked? I figured I’d try and rather spend the $10 to $15 and give it a shot rather than $900.

I’m leaving towards the ATP AT-205 given the many reviews on Amazon. Some say it works while others say it doesn’t and prefer Blue Devil. At this point I’ll try anything.

Thank you!

What was the result of using an additive to stop the leak ?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Why would the motor need to be removed? That sounds crazy.....drop transmission and jack with board holds up the rear of the motor. Remove torque converter/flywheel and rr main is right there. I would get another quote. I would not count on any voodoo magic longterm fix from any stop leak product either short of buying some time to save money to pay for work to be done or fit it in your schedule if DIY..........

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ATP additive did stop the leak. I no longer see oil spots on my garage floor. Now whether that’s a short term solution or long term, only time will tell. The next time I get a oil change I’ll see what happens. If it leaks then I’ll continue to buy the ATP additive.

Most rear main seals involve removing the transmission. This job takes several hours and garages quote a lot of money due to the amount of labor involved. I would rather spend a little bit of money on this additive then fork several hundred or thousand dollars.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well, yeah...doing same type experiment with pwr steering rack on the tacoma running the lucas pwr steering leak stop and isn't any worse but I would be in denial to consider it fixed. However I will ride it until the magic fades, lol....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts