Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im tryin to take of the Rear drum on my xb and for some reason it is really stuck...it is not budgin for anything...has anybody else had this problem? if so what did you do to get it off...ive tried releasing the brakes and its still not budging any kind of help would be appreciated thanks...

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EticketXb said:
You might have to back the pads off by hand. See if theres a adjustment tab on the back side to fit a screwdriver and release the tension.

yea i Just tried that and its still aint going no where...

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EticketXb said:
Get Out The Hammer
LOL i have had the hammer out since last night...i think the drum was rusted on to the hub so i just sprayed some WD-40 on it and hopefully that did the job...i was just wondering if there was anything else I had to do...But thanks for the info

·
RADIER HATER!!!
1,198 Posts
Thats all I can reccommed - in all my years of brake jobs either the hammer or some WD for a hour or two has seemed to work...... let it sit and see if it helps.... Good luck

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've never worked on the drum brakes of my xB but I know many auto parts stores carry/loan drum pullers. You may want to give your local shop a call and see if they have a puller you can borrow. I know Autozone loans tools for free. The other route is two pry bars on both sides and a hammer. Good luck.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jsut knocked that sucker out...that was the hardest drum pull i have ever had to do in all my cars...

·
Registered
20 Posts
look on the drum, there is the 4 hole for the studs, and there are 2 more small ones, u can stick bolt in there (if u can match up the thread pitch, its usually a 12mm bolt with 8 1.25? i think? ) and screw it untill the drum comes off of the backing plate, be careful you go evenly on each side, or else that drum will crack.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
grey_real_steam said:
look on the drum, there is the 4 hole for the studs, and there are 2 more small ones, u can stick bolt in there (if u can match up the thread pitch, its usually a 12mm bolt with 8 1.25? i think? ) and screw it untill the drum comes off of the backing plate, be careful you go evenly on each side, or else that drum will crack.
yea tried the 2 holes but both were really rusted and they just broke off...but the good ol handy hammer worked after everything...

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
I'm lad you got the drum off. Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I usually tap it w/ a rubber mallet.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
eyeluvink said:
before you put it all back together, apply some anti-sieze to the hub where it protrudes through the drum. this will help keep it from sticking next time you take it apart.
yes do it do it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.