Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I parked my 2006 xB automatic and didn’t drive it for about 3 weeks. The emergency brake was not on. I just went to drive it and the rear driver’s side wheel is locked up and won’t turn. I am on dirt and I tried to break it free by driving it about 20 feet with no luck. Any suggestion?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Scion xB Automatic
244 Posts
Depending on the miles on it, possibly the drum brake has rusted/welded itself on there, and/or it's expanded so much that it ran out of threads to pull the pads back inward?

Just brainstorming. Drum brakes scare me, and I've had nightmare problems with them all of my life... I wish Toyota had just shod all 4 wheels with disc, but price was their goal, so I "get" it.

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
1,196 Posts
With the xB's parking brake lever in the released position, you can remove the wheel and check whether the brake drum will come off.
If the drum will come off, the axle hub may be seized or there may be some other impediment to the wheel moving.
If the drum will not come off, the parking brake internal self-adjuster may be permitting the shoes to engage the drum even with the brake release handle in the off position.
To back off the self-adjuster use the backing plate access slot (Red Arrow) and with a small flat blade gently lift up the self-adjuster lock lever (Green Arrow) then with another flat blade rotate the self-adjuster wheel (Blue Arrow) upwards from the bottom cog. A 360-degree rotation or two should suffice.
Font Engineering Technology Auto part Parallel

If that does not release the drum, use two metric bolts to pry the drum off. There are two threaded openings (Black Arrows) adjacent to the lug bolt openings. Thread in the bolts alternately to apply even pressure on the drum.
Bicycle part Rim Dvd Automotive wheel system Auto part

Good luck with the issue. Hopefully it is an easy correction.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Scion xB Automatic
244 Posts
That's crazy that it locked the wheel up... :oops:

I would definitely take a fine wire brush to all of those rusted areas to clean off some of the rust to make removal easier when you have a second... Even though it'll likely just reappear later. But that would drive my OCD insane knowing it was that corroded.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts