Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scored some cheap aero crossbars and mounted up an Xport bike rack I already had to it.................

Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Tire
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive tail & brake light Car Tire Vehicle registration plate Plant
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Plant Grille Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting
Sky Hood Plant Window Flower
Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle Grille
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Car Wheel
Car Plant Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

I know they are towards the back quite a bit but put clips at back edge of door trim rubber for less disturbance with seal and so wind can go off of windshield and over them to minimize noise. Even with them that far back the back tire of the bikes will not interfere with opening hatch...............

Sky Building Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood

Also have an Xport cargo box that will work on crossbars as well as some pads and straps to carry surfboards. 60 lb kayak upside down on surfboard pads might be stretching things a bit. Have truck for those anyway. Could combine cargo box and bike rack that clings to hatch and stands on bumper. Lots of possibilities............went and did the freeway loop outside the neighborhood and wind noise not even noticeable at 70mph. And yes, it's pollen season.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Registered
HERCHR Luggage Roof Bars - like this but scored thru walmart.com and unicorn gifts for $20............

I just spent a bundle on a Rhino-rack set. I didn't want to gamble on it. I like your price a lot better though! Mine is going to go up the East coast with me all summer long. I figured I would get the good stuff. Guess I'll find out if it's worth it.

Registered
Oh, and also.....I thought the Scion XB (at least mine, a 2005) needed like 54-58" bars? Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. That's just what I was looking at. Hope it works out well for you!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just depends on the mounts I guess. Mine is 2004. On these the feet sit on the flat part of roof near the trim strips. There is about an inch and a half of space on both sides. the bars could be 3 inches longer and more of the cinch strips would be inside the rubber sleeve but that's OK for the price. Wasn't gonna go all in $450 for the rhinos....my truck already carries boards boats bikes or whatever in multiple ways. These also look a little more subtle than the other types that sit up higher with the wider bars and that was also selling point for me.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Added my surfboard pads to center of crossbars........I have straps that loop thru themselves to hold at least 2 boards down. Put those in storage tray under back flooring with the QR skewers for the bike trays.

Automotive carrying rack Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Car

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also have an Xport lockable cargo box available for use if need for extra space. Not sure if it would fit between the bike trays or not. Think I tried it on the Mazda like that. On second thought, it may have fit but couldn't use the bike trays at same time.....but that's where the hatch rack would come into play. Load it up!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wheel Tire Automotive bicycle rack Vehicle Bicycle tire
Automotive tail & brake light Plant Vehicle Tire Automotive carrying rack
Sky Plant Hood Vehicle Tree

Even my burliest bike fit and rode OK up there but xB not my vehicle of choice for hauling it......
Tire Wheel Bicycle Land vehicle Car

1 - 12 of 12 Posts