Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the current progress on my interior. It should be done this week. The headliner will be red suede, the pillars, the dash, and some other random things will be black suede.

There are a few small details to be finished. Yes, there is an amp and a 12" sub somewhere in those pics. Can you find them? That box in the middle is a lighted battle board for manufacturer vinyl. The frosted plexi lights up white....

...and yes, I know the harness isnt mounted correctly. Let that one slide for now.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sounds real nice. Cant wait to see the finished product.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
It just doesn't appear "race inspired" to me. Using that heavy wood to try to clean up that interior screams... well... whatever the opposite of race is. :)

If you want race inspired, invest in at least a harness bar, if not a full cage. And ditch the MDF completely. You need to go get yourself some aluminum sheet metal, a bead roller and some rivets.

If you insist on a system, go stealth with an under-seat enclosure and single shallow 10. Something like what Elemental Designs is offering with the SQ10. And put the amp under the drivers seat.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Just gut it, why the extra weight of the false floor?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess people just dont understand what Im going for here. I got the same questions and comments over on the evil site. The interior is "RACE THEMED". The car isnt a race car. The car is a show car. Perhaps when its finished people will understand that. Everybody does leather, big over-the-top systems, crazy lighting, and other very common interior mods. Very few people, if anybody, have tried to combine the race idea with a showcar interior. I was going for something completely different than the norm and since nobody seems to get it I think I've accomplished my goal. Once its all together it will make more sense. Just wait....

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Hmmm, want to see it covered like you're thinking. It should look quite nice in the end.

Joe, any chance you'll do "lightening holes" in the side of that box? I think it would fit your theme very well in a cool 1950s racer kind of way.

-Alex

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Lightening holes are an old technique used back when everything was made of steel and weighed a ton. Old British sports cars were fairly famous for them and can look like swiss cheese at times.

The most common modern equivilant of this can been seen in drilled rotors. Drill a hole and reduce the mass.

On your box I would say do a line of 4 or 5 2" holes on the side with another line of 2 or 3 below it. Maybe some others on the side of your battle board display. You could black plexi behind the holes after you are done and it would give a cool look.

A quick and dirty MS Paint produced this:

Obviously you would want them straight, but you get the idea.

Holes = light and light = speed. It would give the appearance of a race interior which is exactly what you are going for.

Hope that helps!

-Alex

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
^^^^^
your idea is cool!!!!
whats better is, if he made it with aluminum bars and sheets, i mean replace the wood with aluminum bars and sheets welded together with those holes and some rivets/ allen screws for effects:cool:

·
Registered
679 Posts
^^^^^
your idea is cool!!!!
whats better is, if he made it with aluminum bars and sheets, i mean replace the wood with aluminum bars and sheets welded together with those holes and some rivets/ allen screws for effects:cool:
that is what my friend did for the invisible man xb sema car

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All that wood still equals a decent weight reduction. I weighed just the back seat I took out and then weighed the wood. The wood is less than just the 3 fabric covered sections of the back seat which still leaves the seat bar, the seat belts, the buckles, the carpet....

Im still a decent amount lighter than it used to be. I dont care what people say. Ive seen the numbers now and Im tired of people saying weight is an issue. Im not going for worlds fastest xB here. Im just trying to do something creative that nobody else has already. Im getting tired of the cookie cutter boxes driving around. Time for something new....

·
Registered
762 Posts
why cant anybody just appreciate what joe is doing instead of ragging on him. for being built on a REALLY tight budget joes car looks pretty damn good for a WORK IN PROGRESS. for fcuks sake when did this turn into scionlife.

that blue and silver one is a purpose built show car. of course its a well dont race inspired show car. it also doesnt see anything more than a trailor and carpet floor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is a well done interior. Im looking for something a little more showy than that car has. The roll-cage is nuts though. If only I could afford something like that....

....That car has been an inspiration for a lot of my modding in the past year. I've always liked it and the outside is amazing as well!

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
I was not ragging on him......I was just sharing my opinion. People need to relax. I did not say that sucks you should do this.

Hey more power to anyone that has the guts to go for something other than what the masses do, fab replica kit with 15x8 0 offset wheels.

We all need to remember the Scion motto is what moves you not what moves everyone else......

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.