Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call at work yesterday from a old friend. He knew I was in the bodyshop business. Long story short, I will no longer be doing collision work. I will be doing frame off restoration on classic/muscle cars. This place is huge, has it's own drive in powder coating booth, etc. Think of American Hotrod with Boyd Coddington but a bigger place with a smaller name. The first ever Firebird to roll off the assembly line sits in the front showroom. I can't wait to start.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The place is almost a year old, hasn't had a grand opening yet. It is huge, most of it is still being built. It has three powder coating booths, a 45' paint booth. I will be brought CAR bodies on rotisseries, I do all the bodywork. New floors, panels, roofs, rust repair, then I send it to the next area, I think. While my friend was walking me around I was shown a Mustang 60's maroon, doors didn't even shut, Owner of the business payed 75K for it. Special thing about it, the VIN tag in the door said NASCAR, I don't know what normally is printed in that spot on the VIN tag, but this one said Nascar right on it.

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
damn chris! thats crazy i can't wait to see your new mods. (oh wait your waitng on me for your next mod!!!) sorry man i've been super busy. i've been switching jobs myself and been hella busy. i'll get it packaged up asap!!

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yellow_sub said:
damn chris! thats crazy i can't wait to see your new mods. (oh wait your waitng on me for your next mod!!!) sorry man i've been super busy. i've been switching jobs myself and been hella busy. i'll get it packaged up asap!!
I'm not sure when I will get to do side jobs with this new job. But I get to keep My tools at home because the shop has tools and don't want them to end up in our tool boxes.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The owner of this shop just retired and sold Hercules Drilling. This shop is his next cash cow I guess.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Congrats, Chris!! Good things happen to good people!!!

You're gonna have sooooo much fun, it probably won't seem like work.

·
NEXT LEVEL MOTORING
3,810 Posts
ahhh huh.....i told ya chris, sooner or later ya gonna be coming this way......;) down low so. cal.
and when ya do, i have a 68 bronco that ya can restore too. :)

i had a 1968 california special that i worked on and resored to its original state, and that was a huge under taking. try finding a original gt/cs parts and marchal foglights all the way from england. i do missed that car now.

btw, blessings upon yur new venture.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
CONGRATS Chris!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Way to go Chris, I hope you're happy with your new job and it brings you all you wish for.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ThunderGod said:
ahhh huh.....i told ya chris, sooner or later ya gonna be coming this way......;) down low so. cal.
and when ya do, i have a 68 bronco that ya can restore too. :)

i had a 1968 california special that i worked on and resored to its original state, and that was a huge under taking. try finding a original gt/cs parts and marchal foglights all the way from england. i do missed that car now.

btw, blessings upon yur new venture.
They have a car carrier out back, and there is an old Bronco on it Probably same year you have. it will be worked on sometime in the future.

Thanks everyone! This is exactly the kinda job I wanted.

·
Floating Around Somewhere
11,800 Posts
Congrats to ya -- sounds like you scored your dream job. :D

·
Registered
368 Posts
Congrats on the job, but a problem you may find is that with all the time and effort you put into the cars you'll have a hard time letting them go.;)
My first was a 1959 Studebaker Lark VIII Wagon when I was 15, it became my first car.

I have done a few frame ups and with the time invested I hated to see some fool drive it around like it was nothing , and all they did was PAY !!! usually had them returned a few weeks later with dents, dings, had one that was rapped around a telephone pole 1 week after putting in almost a year, the guy wanted it re-done :eek:

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll be fine, I will be working on a few at a time. The shop is really spread out, so I will probably only have contact with it while I'm doing my part. It comes to me striped down and on a rotisserie, I do the bodywork and it will disappear to a different shop. then it's put back together by someone else. I'll see the finished product, then it will go sit in some NASA guys garage probably. So far I've only been walked around the place, stretches out about an 1/8th mile.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Wow that sounds awesome. I tried reading it to see, but will you still be in Houston? Or do you have to move elsewhere? I only wish I could find a job as nice as you're going to have! Also, Ive always wanted to ask, did you go to Wyotech or a school like that to get started? I really want to get into body work like you're doing. Big props man!

Thanks
Scotty

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Scotty.

I will still be in the same spot, This place is about 3 miles down the same road I work on now. I did not go thru any schooling at all, I started washing cars at my present job in 01'. One of the bodymen had to have surgery on his elbow, they asked if I would help him why he heeled. I said sure, three of four months later I had my own stall to work in. Been doing it every since.

I just never let myself work at a grociery store or fast food, etc. I just filled out applications at more challenging jobs. I did start washing cars, but I made sure I wasn't working at a car wash. I started at the bottom 5yrs ago.

If you were to pull up in your xB to a nice body shop, you probably have no problem getting a job there. If they see that you show interest in that kinda stuff it helps, if you pull up in a beater, different story.

I pulled up in my old 78' LeSabre, I did some work on before I knew anything. I told him I did a little work on my car and pointed out the window. He glanced out the window and I ended up with the job. There was an opening for a porter/car washer. Thats when I started. So when that guy needed help, the boss knew I did some work on my car. So since 2001 I went from a old somewhat crappy $1800 car that I had to drive for 7yrs, to a fully modded Protege5 that I totalled and now to my xB.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.