Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took an xB test drive a couple of days ago. I'm just about sold on it and so is the rest of my family but I have come up with a few questions since then...

1) Can the xB be serviced at ANY Toyota dealership or just the ones that sell Scions?

2) Is the service relatively expensive for maintainence or repairs? Or is it more in line with your run of the mill Toyota?

3) I think I want just a plain jane xB (without even $120 floormats) but with side-curtain airbags. Is this an option? I'm not finding it as on the scion website. What's a good website/store to buy floormats?

4) I think the dealer recommends 3,000 miles between oil changes but does the manufacturer recommends 5,000? I think I'll go with what the manufacturer states instead of the money hungry dealer. Agree?

5) It seems to appear that the current xB style might be history in just a few months. I don't need anything bigger and with worse gas mileage so I might not be able to wait too much longer. The dealers cars on hand around here (dfw texas) have several unneeded options to jack up the price. But the dealer said I would have to order one to not get these tacked on. That's exactly what I will have to do then... Any idea how long it might take to have one specialed ordered?

6) How easy is it to hook a generic mp3 player up?

Thanks a ton!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
1. I don't know. It's the same motor that is found in the older Toyota Echo & the new Toyota Yaris, so I figure that you could take it, but the first 3 oil changes are free at the Scion dealer.

2. About the same as any regular Toyota.

3. No side curtain airbag as far as I know.

4. I leave it for 5,000 miles. Modern cars are designed to have less maintenance intervals.

5. If you build & price one on the Scion site & send it in to all the local dealers, one of them will evnetually get back at you with the exact xB that you're looking for.

6. I don't know. I haven't tried it. My car came with that iPod thingy, but I don't have an iPod. I just burn MP3 CDs instead 'cause the stock Pioneer headunit plays MP3 CDs.

( ^_^)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not thrilled about the gov Crash Test results. It's not very impressive.

I'm hoping for a 2007 model that will provide side curtain airbags.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
txcruiser said:
I'm not thrilled about the gov Crash Test results. It's not very impressive.

I'm hoping for a 2007 model that will provide side curtain airbags.

Only crash test results I remembered seeing where 5star frontal and 4star side impact. Which ones where you looking at?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Hope you go with the xB.

I can’t believe that none of the dealers in your area offer a box stock. Stupid greedy dealers. I wonder. If you called them up and said “I really like the xB. I want one stock. If you have one I’m ready to buy today” do you really think no one would take your money? Especially since the dealer added them himself (unless it was a trade in). When the boxes arrive they don’t even have the radios installed yet. . .

In a worse case scenario you might be able to trade with other owners for their stock parts and a little cash.

I haven’t researched the crash test data much, but I will say this: small lightweight car always loses to Hummer and large heavy trucks. Thus is life. (I’ve never heard of side airbags in a box either.)

#6 Short answer: Very easy. How fast can you get to Radio Shack?
1. Buy $20 1/8" stereo cord from Radio Shack.
2. Plug one end in your MP3 player output
3. Plug other end into audio jack under the parking brake.
4. Hit AUX button on stereo
5. Set the volume high on both player and stereo
6. Enjoy!
Long answer: http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f2/958-ipod-xb/?highlight=ipod

·
Registered
501 Posts
I also live in DFW, and Toyota of Dallas did a good job of finding me the xB that I wanted. I agree that side airbags would be nice, but they aren't an option.

I have an ipod and it plugs right into the aux hookup with a little cord from radio shack (I didn't get the IPOD factory option).

I absolutely love my 2006 BOP. 11,000 miles in nine months and no problems so far.

Welcome, and Howdy!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Thank for all the feedback. Mucho appreciated!

I live in the mid cities of DFW and I finally found a dealership (Toyota of Grapevine) that stocks XBs with floormats being the only option on most if not all their cars. So I think I have found the dealership. I really need to hold out till Jan 07 if at all possible for financial reasons. But if I get wind that a major redesign is imminent I'll go ahead and pull the trigger.

I'll be watching the web and this site in particular for the latest breaking news.

·
scikotics
1,005 Posts
I was talking to a scion salesman (scion certified) this morning and he said 07's will be just the same as 06 no changes. So I assume no side airbags. They are going to have the new RS4 color ( we knew that). He said as for 08 he heard will be new design and won't be xB. I was checking Kelly Blue Book and retail on 05 is more than the base price in 05. Not many cars go up in retail value. Most drop as soon as you drive off the lot. If xb is discontinued I would think values would go even higher. Maybe? :D The dealer here doesn't put anything on their xb's till you buy it then just add what you want. This morning they had at least 20 sitting there. Southern Oregon maybe a little out of the way for you to check out thought.....LOL. Most dealers do dealer trades if they don't have what you want and can't sell you what they have.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I made the deal today!

$500 put down today while dealer tries to find one in the DFW Texas area else he'll order it.

BOP (w/automatic) with the following added (to make everyone driving it happy)
Upgraded Taillights
Floor/Cargo mats
blue lights
chrome exhaust tip
Cargo Net

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My dealer couldn't find my car here in DFW Texas....I find that hard to believe..

Anyway it's now suppose to arrive in Houston tomorrow, take 3 days or so to make it to my dealer. I hope to get it by the middle of next week.

My 14 year old son is more excited than anyone!

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
txcruiser said:
My dealer couldn't find my car here in DFW Texas....I find that hard to believe..

Anyway it's now suppose to arrive in Houston tomorrow, take 3 days or so to make it to my dealer. I hope to get it by the middle of next week.

My 14 year old son is more excited than anyone!
It's not uncommon to wait a month for one to become available. Demand is very high.

·
RS4 #303
4,900 Posts
waiting makes the getting better

i waited 3 long weeks, but to doxon scion's credit i had my box they day after it landed i tacoma wash off shipping. took 2 more weeks for add ons to catch up these little cars cause a sickness, a good one, addictive one, welcome to the club.

·
HORNBLASTER
446 Posts
I waited a month and half the toyota dealership/ kept makin up some stupid reasons for it not being here in like a month . I talked to the salesmanger come to find out the dumbf***s didnt even order it they were just waitin to see if scion would send one by the regular delivery by that time the had 4 truck loads droped off not my TCM/standard trany:( . So i got my 500 dollars back and called toyota of slidell and talk with the salesmanger over there and explained what happened and He was really helpful and got my XB to me in 5 days :D :D . So if anyone in Mississippi wants to buy a XB DO NOT GO TO BERT ALLEN TOYOTA >very unhappy experence:( Just on a side note for the folks gettin a new XB dont let the dealer detail it /just request them not to clean it . Spoken to some people they had waterspots from the dealer already on there new XB. So take it home wash it :eek: then put a good coat of wax on it :eek: ==no water spots.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I mentioned that I found it hard to believe the dealer couldn't locate the car here in DFW Texas because when I checked the online inventory I found a few listed at other local dealers. I just think this dealership didn't try very hard to get one via that route... for whatever reason. Maybe it's too big a hassle to deal with??? I don't know how that process works.

I am going to call the dealership and request them to NOT put their dealership name on the car when it arrives. I've done this before with other cars so I hope they can accomodate and don't forget.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Before your box comes. . .

look at the front license plates on various pictures in the galleries. Notice a few of them have their plates in slightly different places? When the xB comes to the US there are no mounting holes in the front bumper. Most dealers drill holes without being asked. Some owners hate this and go through a lot of trauma trying to get rid of them. If you still want a plate you can order a bracket off E-bay that hooks to the grille instead. (This look tends to be especially popular among our JDM brothers.) Just want to point this out because you’re in a rare position to stop the dealer. On the flip side some dealers don’t automatically add holes for customers who DO want them. It can be kind of nerve wracking to take a drill to your shiny new bumper. So ask him to do it. :D

BTW, welcome to the club! :)

Considering you started out wanting stock, and already have a few extra “goodies” I also welcome you to the wonderful, wonderful world of modding!

:confused: Where does the dealer put his name? I usually only get it on the crappy license plate frame.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Liesjemt said:
look at the front license plates on various pictures in the galleries. Notice a few of them have their plates in slightly different places? When the xB comes to the US there are no mounting holes in the front bumper. Most dealers drill holes without being asked. Some owners hate this and go through a lot of trauma trying to get rid of them. If you still want a plate you can order a bracket off E-bay that hooks to the grille instead. (This look tends to be especially popular among our JDM brothers.) Just want to point this out because you’re in a rare position to stop the dealer. On the flip side some dealers don’t automatically add holes for customers who DO want them. It can be kind of nerve wracking to take a drill to your shiny new bumper. So ask him to do it. :D

BTW, welcome to the club! :)

Considering you started out wanting stock, and already have a few extra “goodies” I also welcome you to the wonderful, wonderful world of modding!

:confused: Where does the dealer put his name? I usually only get it on the crappy license plate frame.
Thanks for the reminder about the front tag. Here in Texas it is state law to have a tag on the front however the law isn't enforced. About half of the cars don't have them. I think I'll forgo the front tag for now. If I decide I need a tag later I'll look for one that hooks to the grill instead.

Some dealers like to put a sticker with their name on the back left or right side. I need to visit the dealer this weekend to see what this particular one does and to tell my salesperson to NOT drill any holes.

So many little things to think about...

·
Registered
317 Posts
for your 2nd question i dont know where if it matters about location but when you hit your 30,000 miles you have to do a 30,000 mile service but they basicly exchange everything the only downfall is the price down here in Florida it runs about $300.00 like i said i dont know if location is a factor but i havent dont mine yet and i have like 35k car is running fine but i dont wanna keep pushing it

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.