Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I know that there is probally a dozen threads on here about this subject. I'm just trying to find out the real results of the greddy turbo kits and what 1/4 times have been seen as well as hp gains. Also what other mods have u done to acheive better results?

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
i've heard that greddy turbos blow ass. i've heard too much about zpi, which is who im buying my kit from in a few months.
I've heard the same about the ZPI too though, I would go Greddy S/C if I had the money.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
XBMAN26, your best bet is to do thorough searches here and in the forced induction forum on SL. Read through EVERYTHING. Weed out the b.s., the opinions, and the flat out lies. Then make your educated guess.

Sorry I don't have 1/4 mile figures for you. You might try PM'ing "rollhard." He has a Greddy turbo equipped xB. I don't know if he has taken it down the quarter, but he has run it on the Streets of Willow.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the advice, but started going through the sl forums about the same time I signed up for this site. Found some good threads but figure I would attain more info if I personallized my own threads. I know for the members that have been on longer r sick of duplicate threads but it takes to much time to find all the info and read it, so I figured to start a few of my own that way I know when there is a reply. Also seeing if anyone is fi around Delaware to see the differences in the box after its been boosted.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
There was an FI "expert" on here, can't remember his name though, but he claimed to know alot though his xB wasn't FI'd.

I would go w/ the SC if you don't have the money to do the rods, pistons, fuel system, and management.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
problem with the super charger is efficiency, it can never spin as fast as a turbo and it robs the motor from power cause it needs to spin with the crank. I plan to do fuel and tuning but I'm not going to rebuild the bottom end....yeah I wouldn't mind picking his brain on the topic. I have a buddy that is like a turbo guru but he's hard to get ahold of. He also has friends in Toyota engineering and when he was still working with me I was bugging him to contact them for me.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
problem with the super charger is efficiency, it can never spin as fast as a turbo and it robs the motor from power cause it needs to spin with the crank. I plan to do fuel and tuning but I'm not going to rebuild the bottom end....yeah I wouldn't mind picking his brain on the topic. I have a buddy that is like a turbo guru but he's hard to get ahold of. He also has friends in Toyota engineering and when he was still working with me I was bugging him to contact them for me.
Then he'll tell you to cautiously boost at 7 psi. Its all because of the connecting rod angle. And he'll also tell you the ECU is self-correcting and that no one has cracked the code yet.

And you'll have to do more than just injectors for the fuel, like a return line cuz there isn't enough pressure, yada, yada, yada.......................

And the clutch, flywheel, and not to mention a few other things that are finicky to our set-ups.

While the Blitz SC may absorb the hp because of the sequential pulley, you still have the torque.

I'm no expert by any means, but I have been doing the research over the past few years. And I have what was the full TRD turbo set-up from the TRD BOP xB. :eek: :D

And a really good friend of mine used to work for Vishnu, and host of other FI Specialty shops.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I've heard that our ecu's r self correcting I've also heard that by using a piggy back emange that it tricks the things u want it to trick and thins u don't....and if I do fuel I'll go with bigger injectors and perrin fuel rail and learn more about the delivery ystem b4 making any decissions on that. I didn't know there was a trd turbo for our cars....what hp gains have u seen....not familar with vishnu either.....all I know is that my buddy obviouslly older than me worked for carol shelby and is an air flow engineer by trade and any time I mentioned a super charger he would break down the technical diadvantages of a super charger. I know that with one u always have power and better lower end but top end is lacking with a turbo spool up prob r not the same anymore with modern turbo so ur getting lower end power and it gets great top end as well also u can upgrade the turbo system easier

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
I haven't installed the kit yet. I have two other engines that I want to build first. TRD had a CART team build and install the set-up in their BOP xB. It was removed, and I now have ownership of it. Its one-off.

Vishnu was known in the Suby and EVO markets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
im not trying to be an ass here, but honestly, nitpicking over a couple horsepower on these cars is, well, funny. I personally own a big turbo awd car that gives me my kicks, and am very realistic about the xb's potential, which is why if I ever decide to go f/i on it I would hands down chose a supercharger over the turbo kits out now. and just so its known im a turbo guy by heart/trade.

my .2

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree the s/c kits seem to be more reliable but in the end regardless whether our cars it makes a difference a turbo is more efficient then a supercharger so if I'm gonna do any thing I'm going to chose something that can be updated when and if the technology comes out for our cars

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree the s/c kits seem to be more reliable but in the end regardless whether our cars it makes a difference a turbo is more efficient then a supercharger so if I'm gonna do any thing I'm going to chose something that can be updated when and if the technology comes out for our cars

being efficient dosent really come into play on the turbos behalf untill you start running in its peak range, ie: the zpi kit uses a mhi 14b (stock 1g dsm turbo) which dosent really start to hit its flow potential untill 12-16psi, they run it well below that. so unless you plan to build your motor, and race your car, the supercharger kit is the way to go IMO.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thats why I'm looking into piecing together a kit with a turbo that will better match my needs....again the s/c kits seem to have the lesser problems but look at the efficiency the turbo uses wasted gas and converts it into energy

·
Registered
8 Posts
thats why I'm looking into piecing together a kit with a turbo that will better match my needs....again the s/c kits seem to have the lesser problems but look at the efficiency the turbo uses wasted gas and converts it into energy
First, I am fully aware of how turbo and superchargers work. a turbo that will be at peak efficiency at the 8psi and under range will be about the size of about a baseball, and wont make much if any more power than a small supercharger, again im not dismissing your turbo idea, but I ask the question, how much power do you want.....

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm sure you are. All I'm saying is if you look at the hp gains of both the s/c and the t/c they're similar however the the cost is not. The s/c is more expensive and its capabilities are limited where as a t/c has more capability to upgrade later if the upgrades for our cars are available. As far as hp gains I would like to see 140-180 whp however I want that safely and if it means less hp well 40-50 hp is a decent amount.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm sure you are. All I'm saying is if you look at the hp gains of both the s/c and the t/c they're similar however the the cost is not. The s/c is more expensive and its capabilities are limited where as a t/c has more capability to upgrade later if the upgrades for our cars are available. As far as hp gains I would like to see 140-180 whp however I want that safely and if it means less hp well 40-50 hp is a decent amount.
So, a complete Greddy SC kit runs about 2400 bucks...

What turbo kit would be cheaper? The greddy doesnt even come with a BOV or intercooler. ZPI? Ive never cared enough about their shadyness to even think about pricing their stuff.

If you go turbo, be prepared to spend a lot more for the extra youll need in the long run.

You may have more "tuning" abilities with the turbo, but honestly youve stated you arent building a bottom end for the motor so youre going to be limited to what the stock bottom can hold reliably which is in the neighborhood of 6-9lbs of boost. A turbo may give you higher peak horsepower, but where in the RPM band you do most of your driving? Id rather have a car that has torque at a lower RPM and sacrifice a few HP above an RPM level that my car spends less than 2% of its running time seeing.... My 2 cents.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well the greddy t/c kit I can get for $1900 custom intercooler would be less than $300. If you just go with that than the increase and cost meet the price of there s/c kit. But I just like t/c better and at this time I don't plan to rebuild the bottom end but if I did the t/c would still be readily availble for upgrades. Who knows I may never do anything esle to it and still have similar hp to the s/c but the option is always there. It's all a matter of prferance.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.