Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed the foglights themselves after buying them from the dealership? I'm thinking about purchasing some for my xB and smokin' them out b4 installing.. does anyone know the cost for the fog light? and the difficulty on installation? please let me know.. with some details.. thanks!

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Its plug and play. The wiring is already there.

·
ClubxB's OG Member
22,258 Posts
squirrel said:
Its plug and play. The wiring is already there.
yeah, but how do you wire the switch inside the xB?

im planning to get the Japanese bB foglight because its cheaper than at the dealers. i heard that the Japanese ones are brighter, can anyone confirm that? i know that you have to re-wire it because JDM and USDM is different...

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
bB626 said:
im planning to get the Japanese bB foglight because its cheaper than at the dealers. i heard that the Japanese ones are brighter, can anyone confirm that? i know that you have to re-wire it because JDM and USDM is different...
I've got my eye on the JDM ones for the same reason as you Johnny. I've been told they're brighter because of the reflector, but they have to be hardwired because the switch is different (JDM vs. USDM).

*From newscionparts.com*

"JDM Toyota quality,Brighter fogs for your xb,kit includes fog lights,relay and switch ( switch must be hardwired in place,will not fit US xB plug) made in Japan for the bB" :confused:

·
Registered
342 Posts
There's a DIY for the hardwiriing on ScionLife.com
I have the USDM fogs and I installed them in less than 30 minutes. Like Squirrel said plug and play.:)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Rather then getting JDM fogs, why not get the USDM, but rather put in a modified 9005 bulb, not the 9006? All it takes is shave a tab down.

Here's how you do it:

-Supplies: File or chisel tools.
Sharp knife, blade, soldering iron or Dremel like tool
2 x 9005 bulbs.
Protective glasses (you don't want to lose an eye) and gloves

1. Remove 3mm of plastic from the left of the center until you have 5-6mm of plastic left.

2. Remove the two guides inside the socket

3. Install the bulbs in your car and have your light adjusted if not already.

thanks to..
http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/More_light.htm
for the pictures..

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Installing teh fogs is a peice of cake, the most difficult part is putting that damn relay in. Everything is plug and pray, er play. Nice writeup alex.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I just removed my fogs to replace the bulbs with 9005 instead of teh 9006, I notice teh 9006;s are 51 watts and the Sylvania Clear blue 9006's from wally world are 60 watts, the package says 65 but the bulb itself says 60, I was also looking at adding some more reflective mirror inside the fog to brighten them up.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Lets see 9 watts difference at lets say 14.4 volts that is only an extra .625 amps of current draw. Damn I had to clear the cob webs out on that. Ohms law!!!

·
NEXT LEVEL MOTORING
3,810 Posts

·
bB Squad
4,152 Posts
hayalex6 said:
Rather then getting JDM fogs, why not get the USDM, but rather put in a modified 9005 bulb, not the 9006? All it takes is shave a tab down.

Here's how you do it:

-Supplies: File or chisel tools.
Sharp knife, blade, soldering iron or Dremel like tool
2 x 9005 bulbs.
Protective glasses (you don't want to lose an eye) and gloves

1. Remove 3mm of plastic from the left of the center until you have 5-6mm of plastic left.

2. Remove the two guides inside the socket

3. Install the bulbs in your car and have your light adjusted if not already.

thanks to..
http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/More_light.htm
for the pictures..
i did that on my yukon and they are a bit brighter... and this was back in january.. no problems since...

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I have no comment on those SPOTS, but I do have a comment on the stock fogs, why in the hell wouldn't Scion just chrome the whole interior of the fog lights, they did a small portion near the bulb, I may take them apart again and get them chromed or chrome them myself. I used the oven method to remove one of the lenses, its still hard as hell to remove the lense even after heating at 250 for 30 mins, that is some badass sealant.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.