Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at an FUJITA SHORT RAM AIR INTAKE or other short ram

Question is-

Being there is just a filter hanging off the end, any one have problems with sucking up water in rain and/or snow?

I am getting an Stillen axleback soon (as soon as the 1000mi break in is over) and was throwing around ideas about getting it to breath in better. Only problem is I live in WA and have to deal with snow, rain, and lots of puddles year round.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I've never had any problems, and I've driven through a HUGE rainstorm at 4am. On the highway, going 55, going through puddles that were 6 inches deep. I hydroplaned, but never had a problem with water in the filter.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you look at the front of your xB the intake is on the same level as your fog light, if you submerge your filter at that height, you've got bigger problems than hydrolock.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
fcastle said:
If you look at the front of your xB the intake is on the same level as your fog light, if you submerge your filter at that height, you've got bigger problems than hydrolock.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!^^^^^ Neways, I have the F5 SRI, and have had no probs in the rain, as far as water. Now if you took off the foglight cover during a massive rainstorm, then I could see probs.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
unless its submerged, you're gonna be fine with that location. ive been literally stranded in water before, and as long as its not hittin the filter, you're okay. i have the Injen SRI first gen intake (same as Fujita basically) and ive never had problem, or am ever worried about it.

also, i live in nebraska, so i know how the snow/rain thing goes too. its just fine.

as for the stillen exhaust, are you sure you got that right? stillen is strictly a Nissan performance tuner last time I saw. they carry other brands, but i didnt know they ever made an exhaust, and especially not for a Scion.

scotty

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, thanks for the replies.

And yes I am talking about Stillen, I saw a deal on one and am thinking about grabbing it cause I heard from a couple people and on SL that it is a good exhaust, and it looks like the TRD. I like the TRD cause there is no coffee can hanging down from the rear. I want one that flows a little better, sounds better but doesn't hang down.

Here is the pic of it

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hayalex6 said:
hmm, it's not even on thier site.
I noticed that too.
That's why I said "thinking" about getting it.

The local shop says they are good, but I don't know if the 18 kid that works their knows his a$$ from a hole in the ground, and searching only brought up a couple threads on SL that also said they are good. But other than that I can't find any other info about it.

I'll most likely pass on it and go with a different brand unless I get my reply directly from Stillen I sent asking if they make it or not???

Again thanks for the info, looks like rims and short ram are next on the list :D

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK I found the exhaust on the website after they responded to me :D

You have to select 04 as the year for the xb. Then you go here
http://www.stillen.com/product_detail.aspx?sku=507150

They didn't say whether or not they still make it, but it is a real deal after all. Looks as if the exhaust just jumped to the top of the list if I can still get the deal, we'll see.

cheers

·
Registered
179 Posts
gargamel said:
I noticed that too.
That's why I said "thinking" about getting it.

The local shop says they are good, but I don't know if the 18 kid that works their knows his a$$ from a hole in the ground, and searching only brought up a couple threads on SL that also said they are good. But other than that I can't find any other info about it.

I'll most likely pass on it and go with a different brand unless I get my reply directly from Stillen I sent asking if they make it or not???

Again thanks for the info, looks like rims and short ram are next on the list :D
Ask them if you can return it if it makes no power. Then go dyno. Ive done that with a lot of my parts and I ended up either getting it for free or getting a full refund.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
hmmm i dont know if id do stillen personally. why not just do a custom cat back for like 120 bucks and be done with it? most exhaust shops will be more than happy to fab up something.

just a thought

scotty

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ScionScotty said:
hmmm i dont know if id do stillen personally. why not just do a custom cat back for like 120 bucks and be done with it? most exhaust shops will be more than happy to fab up something.

just a thought

scotty
well I am a Metal fab. by trade so I could make one if I wanted for cheap, but I was hoping to get a bolt-on unit for around $100. I already checked the muffler shop and they wanted $350 and I just turned and walked out.

I am between the TRD, OBX, and Stillen. I like the way they tuck under. Not looking to make a racer out of a low HP car, just mods to make it sound better and corner better for fun.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
yep understandable. that 350 quote is damn ridiculous. my first axle back was $80. then my current exhaust i think was 50-60 . i dont remember exactly.

good luck on your search! best of luck!

scotty

·
Registered
179 Posts
if you take a look at the stock exhaust, its not much work to make one yourself at all. One 90 degree bend, then a slight "u" shape to the muffler. You can easily purchase a few bends and a pipe, then sleeve it on to the cat pipe. Then youll have a true catback for about or less than the cost of a Greddy axle back. :) Im running the Magnaflow only because I didnt feel like doing it. Its prob the best exhaust our for the XB now.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
I have well over 50k miles w/ the INJEN and F5 Fujita SRI, and have never had a problem w/ hydrolock or the engine sucking any water. I've driven in downpours on the freeway, have hydroplaned, and the engine kept running w/o any hiccups.

·
Registered
57 Posts
as 4 ur exhaust topic i got me a borla axle back n i love it 2 death. it ran around $300's but 2 me it was worth the money. it doesnt have that crazi annoyin ***** sound 2 it but its much better than stock and u can most deff tell the difference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.