Scion xB Forum banner

What do you think of being a Japanese parts distributor?

• Good idea. Potentially profitable

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • No way to make money

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Have no clue

Votes: 1 6.7%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry for the vague title. So I was wondering if I could get some opinions on an idea that I have been presented. As you can see in my signature I have been out of work all year and not wanting to be in the same position in the future I have been looking into starting my own business on the side. It appears that I amclose to getting a potentially lucrative job soon (4th interview). So I would be doing this beginning of next year or summer.

Here is my question do you think there is potential to make money as the US distruibutor of Japanese Auto parts. They make body kits, wheels, interior kits and othe accessories for many automobiles including out xb. I know simply carrying them in a store is not profitable but being the distributor could be profitable since you pay for shipping a single crate over rather than piece by piece. I envisioned doing quarterly pre ordered buys until business picked up. I would work with them to do up my car with their products as an announcement of the arrival of a US distributor. I think if done right I could get lots of publicityon the regular Scion sites and possibly in magazines.

Does any body agree with me that there is potential to make money here? Those of you that have purchased from Japan can you offer any advice? Ido have a fraternity brother who lives and owns 5 businesses in Japan that can help me with cultural and language problems.

Thanks for any input.

(PS I am not going to divulge the company because I do not want someone else to steal my idea)

·
Registered
485 Posts
i think if you can carry some really good import products at a reasonable price that no one else offers, you can be very successful. But that will most definately rely heavily on how you advertise. Sites like these where you sponsor groups is a great way to advertise. i dont know what the import scene is like in Royal Oak MI, but if it isnt huge, your definately gonna want to have some good online advertising. I buy most of my products via word of mouth on the internet. Good luck and looking for some really good sponsored buys real soon ;)

·
Registered
873 Posts
that sounds like a cool idea. i know alot of people are always lookin' for japan stuff. the only drawback i see is people like me always lookin' for different stuff. so say you bring in 20 fabulous xb kit for others here in hawaii most likely i'd not really want to get it only because i know others have it. or we are always trying to be the first.

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am looking to supply other stores and am interested in mainly interior accesories and other small stuff mainly. Wheels, suspension and other items also. Bodykits would be a once or twice a year order that the stores would have in prepaid by an order deadline. I want to maximize shipping costs with products coming in and also bodykits need to be unique. If I have the only one I want to be that way for a while........

I will keep you all informed as I progress. Also do not hateme if I distribute Honda, Subaru and Mitsubishi items also. Only kidding......

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
No offense, but I personally wouldnt and I buy A LOT of Japanese things. Most everyone I know already has some connection, whether it be Van, Sean, Autofashion, or a personal friend. If thats your sole business, I dont see it being profitable enough to make a living since theres a few established people that import for a very decent price. Then youll have to deal with non-paying people if you dont do it up front, and its hard to get a start when people dont have a rep of you, and you expect money. Kinda a catch 22. Personally, Ill keep with the people I know and get stuff from.

Scotty

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the feedback. I am looking to sell to stores and people like Van. Sort of being the rep for the products in the US. Itwould be my side businessand I already havea retail business soI know how to get money from people up front. I am looking at this as making the parts more accessible to stores and in return people. Stored would have a US person to follow up with and order from instead of thetime, culture and language barrier currentlyin place.

Scott I know what you are saying though. That is why it would take a hugePR push with my own vehicle to showcase the products.

What are the thoughts on wheels?

Interior accesories?

·
Registered
19,896 Posts

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Wheels, you better have a good connection for them, because like I said, Van, Sean, Memory Fab, are already established and priced well. You gotta be able to do whatever they cant (which isnt much I found out).

Oh and Yellow Sub, I dont want to be a tease, but something might be in mail for me from Garson....

haha.

scotty

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
ScionScotty said:
Wheels, you better have a good connection for them, because like I said, Van, Sean, Memory Fab, are already established and priced well. You gotta be able to do whatever they cant (which isnt much I found out).

Oh and Yellow Sub, I dont want to be a tease, but something might be in mail for me from Garson....

haha.

scotty
1. sean still hasn't responded to a pm i sent him a week ago so i'd like to be able to go to others.
2. your gettin garson stuff......... I HATE YOU!!!!:D

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
yellow_sub what site did you pm him ? he pretty much lives on teamnvs.com , vaguely visits scionlife to sell stuff , and hit's up vipstylecars.com a lot.

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
hotbox05 said:
yellow_sub what site did you pm him ? he pretty much lives on teamnvs.com , vaguely visits scionlife to sell stuff , and hit's up vipstylecars.com a lot.
i hit him up on SL but my mailbox said he read it so i'm not sure whats up.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
You can only do it if you give all of your buds here at clubxb your rate ;)

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ShortBus said:
You can only do it if you give all of your buds here at clubxb your rate ;)

Anything is possible.........a special buy before an order. It could be my way of sponsoring certain boxes.

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
ogerdgonz said:
Anything is possible.........a special buy before an order. It could be my way of sponsoring certain boxes.
bro if you could get that kit for me even without a deal i'd promote the poop out of your company!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.