Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and he told me that some Box owners have cut their springs (aftermarket) to take the drop even lower. He said the ride suffers which makes sense but what I'm wondering about is the safety of the spring after it's been cut. Does anyone have any experience with this? I've Googled it and read a few articles but I'd like to find some first hand info. :confused:

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
The fronts can be cut, but only the coils at the upper spring perch.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
squirrel said:
The fronts can be cut, but only the coils at the upper spring perch.
That's what I figured looking at the springs there's not much to work with at the bottom and the rears don't offer any place to cut. The top of the springs are touching and there's really only one full coil at the bottom. On my Gold-Lines anyway.

A guy at work suggested using the spring compression u-bolts to loose a single coil but they look like crap. Come to think of it, so does he. :eek:

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ThunderGod said:
jason aka: scvscions has cut his GOLDLINES all the way around. im not sure how much drop it is now, but its way down lowwwwwww. i think his box is shorter than me, and im short. ;)
I saw Jason's last weekend and it is really low but I heard the ride suffers quite a bit.

The install on yours looks sick...nice work.

·
RADIER HATER!!!
1,198 Posts
Taz - Don't Do It......all I can say is clunk-clunk fizz-fizz... theres no more annoyance than this.......I cut 2 sets on other cars and replaced them both due to noise, ride quality and safety (after one popped out during some agressive driving.......Had to stop and jack up the car to reset the spring into the perch) Save up and go air or coilovers if you want the LOW-Look...............

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hayalex6 said:
Are the Goldlines not low enough? Cause that's what I'm about to buy to replace my h-techs.
I guess it's a sickness. I went from stock the the TRD's then that wasn't low enough, I put on the Gold-Lines with a 2 inch drop. At first it was cool now I must go lower...after a few days you get used to the drop and keep thinking, if I could just get to the top of the tire...yeah...that would do it.

Must....go.....lower....

And I'm not cutting my springs, just sent out a query to see if any of you had any experience with it. I'm bugging my girlfriend to buy the Airride from Scott for my b-day/Christmas. (they're right next to each other anyway...24/25)

·
Registered
827 Posts
Mmmmmmm.......Air ride sweetness........You gotta do it. Then you will be able to scrape :D

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
xjeepguy said:
Mmmmmmm.......Air ride sweetness........You gotta do it. Then you will be able to scrape :D
I'll be scraping alright, scraping the bottom of my piggy bank!

·
RADIER HATER!!!
1,198 Posts
Now I can sleep - The thought of a fellow XBr cutting their springs worries me......I'll tell you the story some time.........Been online all day but keeping tabs on the Baja 500 - My true passion - Any Prerunner Kits for the Xb Yet????? I'll be in La Paz for the 1000 Nov -15-18....Luvn Baja Racing

·
Registered
201 Posts
dude my brother knows of noobs doing this and when you cut it, and lets say racing your integra GSR or whatever going at 60-80 on the highway and your wheel assembly come apart (i think he sad something about a wheel falling off) well if you havent heard of the darwin awards... they are awards given to retards that tend to do dumb things and kill themselves, they by removing themselves from our gene pool so we can never have someone like them ever again. im looking for a bag system, whats out there?

·
OG Member
1,635 Posts
Yes Jason's (scvscions) ride suffers (it looks great!), but he just put in some Monroe shocks in the back and he said that it is alot better now. He is working on the front now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.