Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question if anyone knows is If i put 18 chrome rims on an xb would the gas mileage plummet? And the chrome rims i'm looking at rims that are 4 lug pattern and will fit. does anybody know?

·
Registered
240 Posts
well i got 18's on my box all chrome with a 2.5 inch chrome lip...well my gas milage...it depends if i feel the need for speed i avg 26-28 miles a gallon on a full tank but i feel like crusing i avg about 28-33 miles a gallon on a full tank its really up to you but i love the 18's on my ride:D :D :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i'm just looking not to go fast but to just cruise and have a real flashy car cause if i wanted to go fast i could just keep my mustang

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Jeff gets about 28 too I think, and he's running 18's. I'm 5 mpg better with basically stock wheels. He's quite the speed demon, sometimes though. :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Last time I checked, my '05 BCP toaster with 18's got 30.95mpg with about 18k miles total. I also noticed that with 18's the car is a little "twitchier" at freeway speed. My bro, who is an automotive professional, says it's to be expected. The larger wheels with smaller sidewall tires will more readily follow imperfections in the road surface.

--OWD

·
Egistered Ruser
1,227 Posts
oldwhitedude said:
uh-oh, looks like OMC has some competition :D :D

I haven't really noticed any difference in milage with my 18's. Sure seems to have more get up and go on stock wheels though. Oh the things we do for looks :cool: :eek:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
It all depends on the weight of the wheel also. You can get sum o SMR wheels on 18's. They only weigh 16.4 lbs I think. Killer lip and forged also. I know mine are 21lbs from Axis. TC evo's. My ride came with rims, so I wouldn't know about being on stockers:p But they were 18's also, and I was getting around 30 mpg on those with a manuel.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
I get around 27 mpg w/ my 18s.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
BOXlover11 said:
It all depends on the weight of the wheel also.

I fully agree with that. Your standard chromie wheel will usually be quite a bit heavier than the same wheel without chrome. Which is USUALLY heavier than a stock alloy.

If you're switching from steels to alloys though it may be an even (or nearly even) swap weight wise.

Personally, I get crap for fuel econ year round, but I also usually don't shift out of third gear with my manual.:cool:

-Alex

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
well the rims i'm going to get approx. weight is 25 pounds so it won't be that bad. And if anyone has 225/40 tires do you have a problem with tires rubbing?

·
Registered
208 Posts
nope, my 18's actually fit better than my 17's that i have now!

·
Egistered Ruser
1,227 Posts
trev8705 said:
well the rims i'm going to get approx. weight is 25 pounds so it won't be that bad. And if anyone has 225/40 tires do you have a problem with tires rubbing?
I have 215/40/18 tires and they rub a little tiny bit at a full U-turn, 225 might be rough

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i spoke with someone on another site and they said your best bet is to go with 215/35 tires. by the way do any of you guys know if Nitto NeoGen tires are any good?

·
Who am I to say this?
2,110 Posts
trev8705 said:
I'm running 225/40/18's at stock height, and yes, they start to rub just before full lock left and right. I would suggest 215/35/18's

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
trev8705 said:
well i spoke with someone on another site and they said your best bet is to go with 215/35 tires. by the way do any of you guys know if Nitto NeoGen tires are any good?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Those are only some of the finest tires on the effin market right now. I prefer Falken, but I know for a fact that hose tires are DA BOMB!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
My husband and I both have Nitto NeoGens!!! WE LOVE them!!!!

I highly recommend them too! ;)

Im on 18's and I get about 30 to 32 miles per gallon on the highway! I get all the way to LA on one tank so thats about 300+ miiles. My husbands on 20's and he gets the same gas mileage as I do. When we get to LA we have the same amounts anyways. :) Thats damn good for 20's!

Good luck! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts