Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Step 1: Jack up the car and set your jackstands in place. Remove the passenger side front wheel.

Step 2: Loosen the bolts holding the alternator in place. This will allow the serpentine belt to loosen easily. While you're in there, admire the "Mikochu Über Ground Wire System." If you don't have one, make it your next project.

There are bolts securing the adjustment arm and a bolt beneath that's fairly difficult to reach.

Step 3: Remove the plastic bay cover on the passenger side. It is secured by two bolts under the lip in the wheel well and two screws beneath the front lip. The Step 4 pic shows the location of the bolt holes in the wheel well.

This will expose the crank pulley.

Step 4: Set a large screwdriver or a brake tool between the spokes of the stock pulley and set a large wrench or ratchet on the 19mm bolt securing the pulley to the crank.

Wrench hard and remove the bolt. The stock pulley can be easily removed at this point.

Step 5: Install the new pulley. Mine is a Perrin unit. The pulley has a hole for the key on the crank.
Tip: I removed the belt from the power steering pulley and installed the Perrin pulley, keeping the main serpentine belt pulled away from the crank. Re-install the crank bolt and finger tighten.

Step 6: Reinstall the power steering belt.
Tip: With one hand, set the belt on the PS pulley. With the other, tighten the bolt on your new crank pulley. Gradually turn each pulley until the PS belt is properly located in its groove. No screwdriver needed!

Step 7: Reinstall the serpentine belt. Use the same technique as described in Step 6 above.

Step 8: Retighten the crank pulley bolt and the alternator adjustment bolts.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
^^^ what he said^^^

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yay after 1 hour of getting very mad i finally installed the pulley!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

and its a noticeable improvment!!! you guys should get one:cool: :cool:

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
bbRydr said:
yay after 1 hour of getting very mad i finally installed the pulley!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

and its a noticeable improvment!!! you guys should get one:cool: :cool:

Yeah, I think the pulley did more than any other mod I have. H/I/E < Pulley.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Maybe I should hold off on my screen mesh piston tops and rubber tip cam lobes to get a pulley! I might even return my chromemolly gofasters to help pay for it. :eek: :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
xfLipm0d3x said:
wait this will affect my warranty if i change it.. oh gosh :( .. i wanted to get one too.. :(
Actually,I jumped the gun on asking that question about the warranty. Toyota would have a VERY difficult time proving that the pulley caused any specific problems to the motor.

There is an act called "MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY IMPROVEMENT ACT" If you do a Google you will find hundreds, if not thousands, of explanations on how this protects the consumer from auto makers false claims.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
I installed a Perrin pully last sunday it took me about 45 minutes with hand tools. Incuding loosening up the wrong bolts for the power steering pump belt tension. :eek:

I torqued the pully bolt to 80 lbs. Perrin didnt include instructions so I best guessed it.

It does pull better but I installed my Fujita SRI at the same time, I thought the intake was more work to install. :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
NVFirefighter said:
Actually,I jumped the gun on asking that question about the warranty. Toyota would have a VERY difficult time proving that the pulley caused any specific problems to the motor.

There is an act called "MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY IMPROVEMENT ACT" If you do a Google you will find hundreds, if not thousands, of explanations on how this protects the consumer from auto makers false claims.

so what your saying is.. changing my pulley will be okay? please say yes.. =) ..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.