Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got these the other day and went to install them on my 2012 xB today. Got them wired up (directly to the wires at the bulb socket) and it blew the brake light bulb on both sides. Got new bulbs and they blew also. Running lights still work, LED's also work for both running and brake lights still, just no regular brake lights.
Am I getting some weird feedback causing the brake lights to blow? I wired each side separate so it is not an issue with a crossed wire.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's weird. I had mine wired in, also on a 2012, and they worked great. As long as they're wired correctly, maybe the units are faulty?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Faulty units are all I can think of also. The simplicity was one of the things I liked about it.
Guess I need to contact them Monday to see what to do.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Where are you grounding them? Mine were grounded to the ground wire coming from the lights.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same.
I have each light grounded on the same side (pass side to pass side, drives side to drivers side) ground wire about 1/2 inch from the socket, and the tail and brake lights on the wires in the same place.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ho do these units installed? I'm interested in buying a pair, but I'd like some insight on how they attach. Also, what is the diameter of the LED units? Are they 2.75" like the stock reflector or are they smaller?

·
Registered
76 Posts
They are a direct replacement for the reflectors. You unbolt the reflectors and bolt these in. Then you have to run the wires inside and to the tail lights.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Actual install is like maybe 5 minutes. You have to take out the bins that have the jack and stuff in them, pop out one of the small rubber plugs on the floor and run the wires up through them on each side. Then it's three wires, one for running lights, one for brake lights, and a ground.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, install is simple. Each reflector is held in with a 10 (or 8?) mm bolt. Just take it off and the reflector comes out. The LED light goes in it's place, the wires go where the tab on the reflector was. There are grommets on each side you can run the wires up, then just splice them in (black to black, red to green and white to green with white stripe)

I still have not figure out why it is doing it. I have not had a chance to mess with it and am waiting on some e-bay bulbs to come in (the 7443 bulbs are like $7 for to locally, I got 10 off e-bay for $9.75 shipped).
I am running with the LED and 3rd brake lights working, but the main ones are not. I plan on disconnecting the running light part and see if they blow or not. Worst case I will need to just run them as brake lights (which is what I mainly wanted anyway).

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TattooAl, yes, as running lights they are dim, when you hit the brakes, they get brighter.

GOLFHAK, I'll try shoot a short vid when the wife gets home.

---------- Post added 03-19-2013 at 07:47 PM ----------

Remember, my main brake lights are out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Blu, silly question but are you sure its black to black? We just installed some on a buddys wifes iq and i coukd swear green was the ground.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
145 Posts
I should follow that up with my non testing reasoning...every bulb had a green wire so I assumed it was ground. We wired it up that way and it worked so...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Blu, silly question but are you sure its black to black? We just installed some on a buddys wifes iq and i coukd swear green was the ground.

I know I checked it with a meter before I hooked it up using black as neg and was getting ~12 v on the green with brake and green/white with running light, so thats how I hooked it up. After the issue with the brake lights burning out, I checked again using the metal clip in the back as ground, and got the same results again.

I just went out and checked and am getting all kinds of weird readings now Black is - as well as green - and green/white + with tail light on, but that may be because of the LED lights being hooked up (wrong?). Too late now to mess with more.
So you had black (-) on the LED to green (-) on the car, what did you have red and white from the LED hooked up to for the +?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts