Scion xB Forum banner

64k mile '09 release series 6.0: private sale, trade-in, or Carmax?

• Private sale

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Trade-in

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carmax

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I've had my lovely xB (Rozzy) for 10 years now. She only has 64,000 miles and is in excellent condition. I am considering purchasing a used 2020 Kia Soul as it has some more features that I truly miss in my beloved xB (touchscreen, LED lights, basic safety features).

Now, my car is in excellent condition and has no mechanical issues whatsoever. I'm sure the undercarriage is a bit rusted, but other than that, nada! I was sideswiped once so some door paneling was replaced and painted, and a tiny bit of the transparent paint finish is peeling off on the driver's door handle. There is also an inch-sized area of rust inside that same doorframe next to the kick plate, but it has not rusted all the way through.

I took Rozzy to Carmax today just to see what kind of appraisal they'd give me. They ended up offering me $3,500 for the car, which I was deeply offended by. This car has been lovingly hand-detailed, waxed, and vacuumed, and driven well with love for 10 years, after all! Downright pampered! The average American child is not treated so well!!

The KBB value for trade-in averages out at ~$4,500, and according to KBB I should be able to get around $7,000 from a private sale.

I'm hoping you good people could give me some advice on how I should proceed. I do not need to sell the car immediately and am happy to wait awhile for the right buyer, if that's the best direction to go in. Do you think it is worth putting some time into trying to sell the car privately, or would it be worth seeing what I could get as a trade-in at a local dealership? Also, how quickly will that measly $3,500 offer decrease over the next 10 months or so, knowing that it will happen in increments of $500 (I was told)?

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all! I've had my lovely xB (Rozzy) for 10 years now. She only has 64,000 miles and is in excellent condition. I am considering purchasing a used 2020 Kia Soul as it has some more features that I truly miss in my beloved xB (touchscreen, LED lights, basic safety features).

Now, my car is in excellent condition and has no mechanical issues whatsoever. I'm sure the undercarriage is a bit rusted, but other than that, nada! I was sideswiped once so some door paneling was replaced and painted, and a tiny bit of the transparent paint finish is peeling off on the driver's door handle. There is also an inch-sized area of rust inside that same doorframe next to the kick plate, but it has not rusted all the way through.

I took Rozzy to Carmax today just to see what kind of appraisal they'd give me. They ended up offering me $3,500 for the car, which I was deeply offended by. This car has been lovingly hand-detailed, waxed, and vacuumed, and driven well with love for 10 years, after all! Downright pampered! The average American child is not treated so well!!

The KBB value for trade-in averages out at ~$4,500, and according to KBB I should be able to get around $7,000 from a private sale.

I'm hoping you good people could give me some advice on how I should proceed. I do not need to sell the car immediately and am happy to wait awhile for the right buyer, if that's the best direction to go in. Do you think it is worth putting some time into trying to sell the car privately, or would it be worth seeing what I could get as a trade-in at a local dealership? Also, how quickly will that measly $3,500 offer decrease over the next 10 months or so, knowing that it will happen in increments of $500 (I was told)?

Thank you very much!
I would honestly sell it private. You would get way more for it. Dealerships will low ball you. They will turn around and sell it for more. I am sad to see you leaving the original toaster family. You will now blend instead of standing out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m sad to leave this family too! I love my xB and would keep it if I were able to have two cars. Thank you for your advice!

Then again, the Soul hardly blends into the crowd ;)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Come down to houston. West side kia will give you 8k off new car with any trade in......i don't work for them, just saw tv commercial, lol.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Come down to houston. West side kia will give you 8k off new car with any trade in......i don't work for them, just saw tv commercial, lol.....
Not sure I want to venture across the country (from MA) right now... heh heh 😷

·
Registered
442 Posts
For road trip home in your new Kia Soul you traded in the xB on and got $8000 for? 😁

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’m sad to leave this family too! I love my xB and would keep it if I were able to have two cars. Thank you for your advice!

Then again, the Soul hardly blends into the crowd ;)
Your are very welcome. I am used to work for Kia and a few other dealerships, so I know what to do and not to do now lol. That would be amazing to own both. You are right not every soul blends in. I am the only one that stands out in my college class everyone has the soul. I like being different.

·
Registered
452 Posts
My mom made the mistake of trading in her 2015 I think Kia Optima sx turbo to a brand new 2020 soul, after 24k and very well maintained sounds worse then a 92 Honda that never had a oil change. Drove like crap to.

not my deal but I’d look at all options.

sell it private also shouldn’t take long, good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts

Thank you very much!
Check out the going prices for comparable in your area then price yours accordingly

·
Registered
4 Posts
I drove a Kia Soul rental car, and I didn't think it handle corners nearly as well as my 1st gen xB. I total felt unstable tossing it around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts