Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
I like the xB plug at the end.

With the rest of the story I see some holes as to the author's logic.

1. Nickel batteries are in all cars, even the Hummer. Granted the Prius has more of them.
2. Their total of “energy” is including the electric the Prius makes from the alternators and putting a $ tag to it when it is almost free (I know it take energy as the motion to spin the alternators, that’s why I said almost).
3. The whole nickel is mined here, then shipped there, then made into something and finally ship elsewhere. That sort of thing happens with every major manufacturer. Some parts are made there, shipped over there for assembly, then shipped else where for final assembly.

I do agree that with a car that runs on electric there are some trade offs, like the toxic heavy metals in the batteries. Mining, use and disposal all pollute the earth. There is always a trade off. That is why the electric car companies are looking into lithium batteries to store the energy, less toxic to make and dispose of. An example of that is the Tesla.

Sorry for the rant, I just finished a year long research into a similar study. Bottom line is the same as the article. It is better for the environment to buy a small engine car like the xB, but when the Hydrogen fuel cell cars come into play we all will have better cars. Cause remember internal combustion at its best today is still only ~60% (that number fluctuates with who you talk to, but not by much) efficient, while electric cars are faster-more torque- and need less HP because of the almost 99% efficient electric motors.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
^^^what research have you come up with actual MPG of a Prius. My friend rented a Prius to drive from Los Angeles to San Francisco a few weeks ago, and found out that while the Prius is rated for some 60 MPG highway it only ranged in the low 30's MPG. When he called the rental car agency to see what's up they stated that that's the norm for the Hybrids. They don't get the MPG that they are rated for. It was a funny story cause he rented the Prius for the gas, but gets better mileage in his xB. He has made it to S.F. from L.A. on just over one tank many times averaging out to 36-38 MPG. Prius at best was 30-33 MPG.

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
I think part of the nickel problem the author was talking about is the fact it goes from Canada to Europe then China then Japan and then back to the US. So the materials to make a Prius battery goes around the world.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Its all good no worries. More pertain to resources and stuff with the exlcusion of the small xB reference at teh end.

·
Registered
552 Posts
^^^what research have you come up with actual MPG of a Prius. My friend rented a Prius to drive from Los Angeles to San Francisco a few weeks ago, and found out that while the Prius is rated for some 60 MPG highway it only ranged in the low 30's MPG. When he called the rental car agency to see what's up they stated that that's the norm for the Hybrids. They don't get the MPG that they are rated for. It was a funny story cause he rented the Prius for the gas, but gets better mileage in his xB. He has made it to S.F. from L.A. on just over one tank many times averaging out to 36-38 MPG. Prius at best was 30-33 MPG.
My research was on the environmental part, not the mpg of the cars. I was more commenting on that most car manufactures ship parts around the world and back throughout the process of making a car.

The part where it says “The Prius costs an average of $3.25 per mile driven over a lifetime of 100,000 miles..” and “The Hummer, on the other hand, costs a more fiscal $1.95 per mile..” is where they are a little off IMO. If you add up 30mpg (the average for what I have heard) + the cost of the car, it still will be less than the Hummer. The Hummer cost more and uses more gas, as far as it lasting 300K, I don’t think so. The Hummer is made but GMC/Chevy now and there cars get about 150K and time for a new one IMO.

I’m a fan of electric car. I can’t wait to get an affordable Tesla style car to mod that does 0-60 in ~4sec and is almost silent is the coolest thing to me.

The point I’m getting at is that like the article says “So, if you are really an environmentalist - ditch the Prius. Instead, buy one of the most economical cars available - a Toyota Scion xB” I agree with 100%. The Hybrids are just a sales pitch; they do not leave a smaller ecological footprint then other cars. We won’t see that till fuel cell cars.

Now just to point out I am not an expert in any of this, my research was a group effort from college that spanned 4 semesters. My opinion is just that, my opinion; but it is based off the information I gathered recently.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I donlt know about the Hydrogen cars. great they emit water as a by-product, but then we'll drown in our own by-product. the earth's atmoshpere will over hydrate.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I donlt know about the Hydrogen cars. great they emit water as a by-product, but then we'll drown in our own by-product. the earth's atmoshpere will over hydrate.
The basic method to making hydrogen fuel is:
You start off with water, purify it till it is 99% pure water, electrify a rod in the water which releases the hydrogen from the oxygen, collect the hydrogen and store.

In a fuel cell car the hydrogen is then mixed with the oxygen (intake) bonding back to water, this re-bond is where the electricity is released, thus powering the electric motors/ recharging batteries.

On a side note the above process I described is a very crude explanation and involves a lot more steps and other materials, but you get the point.

Point being is you destroy water then re-make the water, so it is not creating more water on earth. The cool thing about fuel cell cars is you can have a refrigerator sized machine in your garage make the Hydrogen, eliminating the need to refuel elsewhere. After you buy the machine (which is very expensive right now) you pay the water / electric bill to run the machine and fill your car up from home, but we are a long way from that still.

But remember that electric motor are more efficient at getting HP to the ground, that Tesla I mentioned earlier is only like 67HP, weights the same as our xB’s but does 0-60 in 4sec. That’s where I get my excitement from, plus I’m a Electrical Engineer student :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
maybe we just need nuclear cars!...refuel every few years....hehehehe...and just ignore the radiation in a collision...hehehe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.