Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
That would be such a tight fit under the hood of an xb, my dad has one and it barely fits under the hood of a prius. Plus you'd have to add the battery packs, cvt, regenerative brakes, and all that other associated stuff.

·
Registered
247 Posts
This would be extremely complex and extremely expensive even if the space in the xb could work. I asked a mechanic about this a while back and did not realize how everything in a prius like car is completely differant. i am not a mechanic so i can't explain it near as well but it is not just the engine, the computer would have to change, how the brakes work are differant and would have to be reset to the prius style car, the transmission is completely differant and would have to change, then there are all those really expensive batteries that work in conjuntion with the engine. When all was said and done I came to the conclusion that it would be much to complex and expensive. Hopefully car companies will start designing cool eco friendly cars as opposed to all the hidious ones that most people just don't want to own. Also, hopefully the damn prices start coming down. I was looking at prius just out of curiosity because the mileage is so good and to me, the size of car and what it comes with is equivalant to a carolla or civic, but the sticker prices were 32 grand...I don't think so.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
wee bit is right, but heck, for $55000 not including tax or the xB to begin with... im gonna have to pollute the world with my .01 hydrocarbons at a time.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
As stated by rbarrett, the conversion would be extremely costly. Just the parts alone for the electric portion of the hybrid will be outrageous. Even if you were to able to pick them up from a salvage yard. Then you are talking even biggest numbers to get the parts and pieces engineered, adapted, fabricated and installed to make it all work in the xB.

Now getting the internal combustion engine to work in the xB wouldn't be as big of an issue. Though fuel economy wouldn't be the end goal. If you used the 1NZ-FXE out of the Prius, you would have a hard time getting it to work without the Prius ECU. And when it is all said and done you end up with a car that is extremely slow (yep, even slower than the stock xB) and not really any more fuel efficient.

The other option is to use the xB ecu and stock head on top of a 1NZ-FXE bottom end out of a Prius. You would also have to have at least a piggy back engine management system (such as eManage, etc.), or better yet get your own stand alone ecu. As long as there are no internal physical issues (piston/valve clearance) you end up with a "hybrid" 1NZ sporting 12.5:1 compression.

If it doesn't blow a hole in the piston, you should have quite a good little runner. Fuel efficiency shouldn't suffer much, but premium fuel would be a must. All in all, I would guess probably upwards of 140+ whp with an investment of about $2000+/- in parts.

I know it isn't exactly what you were looking for, but I thought I would share anyway. :)

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why?

10 character limit.

Why not?

Just to get a reaction from people. Something to talk about. I personally wouldnt do it. I wouldnt take the time and money to try and make it work. But if Toyota was going to sell one I might be interested. Im not interested in going super fast, if I was I wouldnt have bought a scion. But being able to drive 600 miles on a 9 gallon tank of gas would be pretty damn cool. Imagine if you will a xb on 19's bagged and getting 50+ miles to the gallon. Something to ponder. Im not an eco nut, that doesnt mean I dont care. I think that if car manufactures want to go in a direction of eco-friendly vehicles, they better start making them something fun. I think the new xb would be a cool place to start. One last thing, if you want Gas prices to start falling stop buying so much gas. Its a proven fact that the prices come down when there is to much in reserve. IF YOU could make it "COOL" to have a ECO car then people will buy it.

Just my .02! :D

·
Registered
949 Posts
the pruis has the same basic block though right i have never even looked at a pruis i think they are kinda ugly...

·
Registered
368 Posts
from what info I could get, seems like the CR in the prius come from the Atkinson (sp) style motor. The block is just like ours, it is the head,valves and the ECU making changes as to when and how the valves open.

Swaping out the prius motor ( electric) and engine ( internal combustion) into ours whould only get you "Tom Hanks" version of the box.

But I will accept donations to do the swap and see if it works.:D

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I have trouble justifying the expenses and validation of taking a vehicle that already gets fantastic mileage (upwards of 30) and make it get 40-45. You can purchase a lot of gasoline for the price of the conversion, not to mention the purchase and disposal of batteries every 10 or so years.

Hybrids are a great concept, but in the long run I would rather see more of a flex fuel type of setup on the box. Renewable energy has the best promises out there right now.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have trouble justifying the expenses and validation of taking a vehicle that already gets fantastic mileage (upwards of 30) and make it get 40-45. You can purchase a lot of gasoline for the price of the conversion, not to mention the purchase and disposal of batteries every 10 or so years.

Hybrids are a great concept, but in the long run I would rather see more of a flex fuel type of setup on the box. Renewable energy has the best promises out there right now.
Hey, I like the idea of Flexfuel. Going back to the 70's and the time of the gas crisis. My Grandfather installed a huge propane tank in the back of his service bed of his work truck. He then bought a kit to rebuild the carb. to accept both gas and Propane. He used that truck on both of those fuels until he passed in the late 90's. Flex fuel type things have been around a long time. Its getting people to use them. I would use propane in a heartbeat. Have you seen the price of propane lately?? Around my house I can get it for about 1.25 a gallon.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Do you think it would be possible? I think it would be very cool to have a heavily modded car that is also ecofriendly. What are your thoughts?
Possible? Sure. I've seen a 7.0L vette engine in a miata, so I think a prius engine can be put into an xB. The end result may be more eco-friendly but certainly not cost-effective. You'd very likely spend as much or more than both cars put together. You'd need a crew of talented people who have exprience doing custom fabrication because alot of the neccessary prius parts won't exactly bolt up to an xB body.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
On all things since my last post...

Compression Ratio on the 1NZ-FXE (Prius Motor) is due in large part to the pistons. The block is identical. And I believe the crank and rods are as well. The head may be identical, but I think it is slightly different to work with the higher compression pistons and Atkinson cycle.

Flex fuel?! What a joke. I would advise everyone to do some research. Corn and sugar fuel supplements just isn't where it is at... YET. First and foremost your mileage goes to crap. So all that savings you see at the pump really has to be measured against your reduced fuel economy. Second the prices are kept artificially low through government subsidies. And where does our government get the money to subsidize these lower priced fuels? From you and I of course. In the form of taxes.

Bottom line... You want a more fuel efficient (money saving) xB? Keep your foot out. Drive like your grandma.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.