Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I built a box something like the box you can find on eBay for under the front seat( downfiring)

And this is the sub I chose, $95 (new at fleamarket)

What I noticed:

Sounds great.
Can't tell I have a system.
Cheap.
Sweet engineering.

Recommend!!!

Introducing the Premier® TS-SW124D shallow subwoofer from Pioneer, featuring a revolutionary design with just 4" total depth (just 3-1/4" mounting depth!). This revolutionary new subwoofer provides the body-rumbling bass of a fullsize 12-inch sub in a package that fits almost anywhere

Size 12"
Woofer Cone Material Double Cone Construction using Carbon Fiber and Kevlar® Branded Fiber Composite IMPP⿢ Cones
Surround 3-Layer Fiber Woven Radial
Voice Coil 4-Layer, Long Voice Coil (4ohms)
Voice Coil Bobbin 8-Slit Glass-Imide
Basket Design Aluminum Die-Cast Rigid Chassis
Gasket 1-Piece Rubber
Wire Terminals Silver Binding Posts
Specifications
Watts MAX. Music Power 1200W
Watts Nominal Power Handling 300W
Frequency Response 18Hz ~1kHz
Sensitivity 88dB
Ohm Rating 4 Ohm
Recommended Enclosure 0.6 ~ 1.0 Cubic Feet

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Dammit, those specs are great! And thats pioneer? Wow. Does it really sound deep? I am gonna have to look into this cause lord knows I don't have much space in the cargo and have plans for adding. nice ..thanks for sharing. Gonna see if I go to the sound places in chinatown and have them sample it for me. Great price i might add.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^^ Pioneer, Yes. In the box and placement that I am running w/ 850w the sub downfiring less than an inch from the floor. DVD movie sound is theater like. Deep lows in Music not really there. But Music sounds great!

But for the Space and Price, wouldn't of chosen anything else.^^^

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Padanky said:
^^^ Pioneer, Yes. In the box and placement that I am running w/ 850w the sub downfiring less than an inch from the floor. DVD movie sound is theater like. Deep lows in Music not really there. But Music sounds great!

Good post! I have a friend that has the same sub box, I'm hoping he will sell it to me since he has a custom set-up in the rear hatch area. And now I know which speaker to use.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dtrain619 said:
Good post! I have a friend that has the same sub box, I'm hoping he will sell it to me since he has a custom set-up in the rear hatch area. And now I know which speaker to use.
I seen the box on eBay, and tried my luck building it(from the couple pics to get an Idea). The first try was too muffled, the second works great. Cost around $15 and I have a whole roll of the carpet from ebay a few years back.

Mine is 3/4" MDF the one on eBay is 1/2".

·
Registered
144 Posts
Padanky said:

Well I am still going to sample it. Cause my current Pioneer woofer has very deep lows and I'm pushing 340 watt RMS to it. I am thinking to keep using it for the deep lows and find 2 woofers with Punch. and connect them in a series with a D class Brutus. So I will check out how much punch they have cause I need to preserve space. The fact that they handle 300 watt RMS is appealing to me.

Again, thanks for insight.:)

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
4 inch mounting depth, eh? Hmm. Gives me a few ideas.

I've been running 10 inch Arc Audio subs under my front seats in custom enclosures since Dec03. When I went to Exposed in Feb04 and TORC in May04, people couldn't figure out where the bass was coming from.

Then I added the Audioformz enlosure and another Arc 10 inch, and people think all of my bass is coming from one 10 inch!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
squirrel said:
4 inch mounting depth, eh? Hmm. Gives me a few ideas.

I've been running 10 inch Arc Audio subs under my front seats in custom enclosures since Dec03. When I went to Exposed in Feb04 and TORC in May04, people couldn't figure out where the bass was coming from.

Then I added the Audioformz enlosure and another Arc 10 inch, and people think all of my bass is coming from one 10 inch!
LMFAO!!!! You gotta love the stares and comments bro!!! Thats good stuff right there.

·
-=(( Gcat ))=-
635 Posts
How does it sound by having the bass up so close to you in the drivers seat? I have the bazooka tube and honestly the power is overriding it. My base is set at 1-2 most of the time and if I set it any higher the speaker farts.

Sound system is definitely on my list but probably last.

·
Registered
70 Posts
if you do any sort of subs in your ride, it is highly recommended running them on a high amp, and usuing the xternal bass nob. Then you turn the bass on your deck to -5(or your lowest) so all you get out of your speakers is clear audio, and then you adjust your bass as needed. It saves you overloading your speakers for that bass and blowing them.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gcat007 said:
How does it sound by having the bass up so close to you in the drivers seat? I have the bazooka tube and honestly the power is overriding it. My base is set at 1-2 most of the time and if I set it any higher the speaker farts.

Sound system is definitely on my list but probably last.
Just fine. Since it is down firing you can't really tell where it is coming from, just like with a home theater.

I've had people in the passenger seat asking me where the bass was coming from. To their surprise it was coming from underneath them

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
theyre good. not deep enough imo. i may add one or two in a custom enclosure. that is if I dont make the custom corner sub pod for 1 regular pioneer 12. can't get enough bass. i mean shoot I can only hit 127 db from my two underseat 10's. argh. at least my system sounds clean

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BigWill184 said:
where can i find these underseat enclosure, I was looking to add to more up there.

Ebay has them, I used the one photo they had for the basic idea and custom built my own.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I payed $100 for it and I only have the one under the passenger seat. Haven't had a single problem with it since I've had it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.