Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
College Student
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone

So I upgraded my stock speakers a couple months ago to Pioneer TS-G1043R 4' 2-Way with 120 Watts for the dash and Pioneer TS-A1674R A-Series 6 1/2" 3-Way 300 Watts for the front doors and left the rear speakers and HU stock for now. Sound is much better than before but once I turn the vol passed 43ish the speakers start to pop/crackle on certain beats of songs. It does this with the radio and AUX. I've spent hours looking around online and this site but i couldn't find any real answers.

I know it could possibly be;
1. ground issue,
2. bad wiring ,
3. not enough power to the speakers,
4. combination of OEM speakers with aftermarket speakers.

An audio place I went to modified the old front door speaker's plastic housing to act as a baffle for my new speakers and they wired it to be "plug N' play" with my stock wiring harness and I wired the dash speakers for "plug N' Play" use by reading a DIY I saw on ScionLife.com.

I found the wiring colors diagram on this site and all the wires are done properly and I cant find any ground issue. I've heard that stock HU has enough power for aftermarket speakers so i wouldn't think that's the problem. When I try to fix the problem it goes away for the day then starts right back up.

Overall I'm a noob on audio and need help!!! :(
Any solutions??
Thanks !!! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
One thing you should check before you start trying to fix it is that your music is HQ or else it will sound like that. Try playing a FLAC file and if it still does it then i would check else where.

·
Freshly Toasted
136 Posts
+1. You could even go one step farther and a CD(not burnt) in there. Your aux jack will rob you of a little bit of audio quality but not enough for most people to notice especially in a noisy vehicle.

·
Registered
354 Posts
possibly sending a clipped signal to the speakers since it is at higher volumes.

Just because the power rating of the radio is less than the speakers when you crank the volume if the settings are not right it will clip the signal. This is bad for speakers and cause them to fail.

---------- Post added 04-23-2012 at 03:19 PM ----------

Where are you Bass and treble levels set at.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Try bass blockers on the dash speakers

·
College Student
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
possibly sending a clipped signal to the speakers since it is at higher volumes.

Just because the power rating of the radio is less than the speakers when you crank the volume if the settings are not right it will clip the signal. This is bad for speakers and cause them to fail.

---------- Post added 04-23-2012 at 03:19 PM ----------

Where are you Bass and treble levels set at.
MY bass is at 3 and treble is as 0 on the stock HU

---------- Post added 04-23-2012 at 04:48 PM ----------

Try bass blockers on the dash speakers
I might have to check about those, Anyone else have them?? and do they help a lot ??

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
THEY CUT OUT THE LOWER FREQUENCIES THAT A SMALL SPEAKER CANT HANDLE. sorry, caps lock was on and im not goin back to re write all that lol. anyway, any stereo shop should have them.

·
College Student
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ohhhhh cool so should I put those on the front door speakers too or just the dash 4" speakers?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Just the dash speakers

·
Registered
354 Posts
MY bass is at 3 and treble is as 0 on the stock HU

---------- Post added 04-23-2012 at 04:48 PM ----------

I might have to check about those, Anyone else have them?? and do they help a lot ??
Yeah I think the max BASS on the stock unit is 5 so at the higher level alot of bass and maybe not some much clean signal is going to them so that is probably part of your problem.

I would get the bass blockers Tilt mentioned and see what that does. Those 4" are not meant to see bass.

·
College Student
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alight I'll dig around for some spare cash and buy some bass blockers off Crutchfield, I'll post an update when i get a chance.

thanks guys

·
Registered
354 Posts
try this turn your bass down to 0 or less and then turn up the radio and see if it goes away. that way you know for sure.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
If it goes into negative, even better, but I only had my stock radio in for about 3 minutes lol so I don't remember.

They shouldn't be more than a few bucks at a local shop rather than waiting for them to get shipped

1 - 14 of 14 Posts