Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K so my bf and I have been driving his moms xb off and on for the past 5 months while we fix our jeep. She takes it in to the dealership 4 every maintenance, and besides needing the front motor mount and socks and struts replaced its in extremely good shape. Completely stock if it matters.
Now here is the problem about a week and a half ago we were driving it to our house (which is only like 15 min away). By the time we got there we noticed it was making a strange whining sound that seemed to be coming from the area around the alternator. We planned on checking it in more detail when we got back to her house. So on the way back the battery light came on, which she just had replaced, since it was night time we turned off the brights and figured we could limp it back. About half way there it started 2 loose power significantly, and three or so more of the dash lights came on. We made it about a block or so away and it overheated and died. Most of the coolant lakes out through the water pump cause the bearings were shot and the pulley was really loose. So we towed it back and ordered and replaced the water pump, which was a lot easier than I thought it would be because of where it's located. When I filled the radiator I noticed water pouring out the front of the motor so I asked my bf 2 come look at it and he confirmed what I was afraid of and apparently we also blew the head gasket.
Both of us are used to working on older engines and we just replaced the head gasket on r 95 jeep zj, so we know we can do it but I'm having a hard time finding anything on what all we need to remove to get to it. We ordered the gasket set and a new motor mount since it needs replaced anyway I figured now would be a good time to do that as well. But I would like to know what I'm getting myself into before I start taking it apart. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And getting a new motor is not an option so plz don't suggest it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
K so my bf and I have been driving his moms xb off and on for the past 5 months while we fix our jeep. She takes it in to the dealership 4 every maintenance, and besides needing the front motor mount and socks and struts replaced its in extremely good shape. Completely stock if it matters.
Now here is the problem about a week and a half ago we were driving it to our house (which is only like 15 min away). By the time we got there we noticed it was making a strange whining sound that seemed to be coming from the area around the alternator. We planned on checking it in more detail when we got back to her house. So on the way back the battery light came on, which she just had replaced, since it was night time we turned off the brights and figured we could limp it back. About half way there it started 2 loose power significantly, and three or so more of the dash lights came on. We made it about a block or so away and it overheated and died. Most of the coolant lakes out through the water pump cause the bearings were shot and the pulley was really loose. So we towed it back and ordered and replaced the water pump, which was a lot easier than I thought it would be because of where it's located. When I filled the radiator I noticed water pouring out the front of the motor so I asked my bf 2 come look at it and he confirmed what I was afraid of and apparently we also blew the head gasket.
Both of us are used to working on older engines and we just replaced the head gasket on r 95 jeep zj, so we know we can do it but I'm having a hard time finding anything on what all we need to remove to get to it. We ordered the gasket set and a new motor mount since it needs replaced anyway I figured now would be a good time to do that as well. But I would like to know what I'm getting myself into before I start taking it apart. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And getting a new motor is not an option so plz don't suggest it.
First off, Welcome. Second, is it the first gen? Or Second gen? The 1.5 is a small engine ( as you know) and there are plenty of YouTube videos on how to replace the gaskets. Japanese cars are simple and once it's fixed it can go 100k thousand miles more. Watch videos, make a list of what needs to be done, one thing at a time. I'd also check the altinator it might need replacing too. Everything you mentioned is simple on the 1st gen. Second gen is easy too. That's my .2 cents others should chime in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank u 4 welcoming me. And Honestly I'm not sure if it's first or second Gen. I don't know what the difference would b. Last night I decided to go ahead and start atleast with the minimal removal of parts. Unhooking wires, coil packs, valve cover, air filter, easy stuff and now my biggest thing is it's a dual over head cam😳. No experience with that, but I have been told they are more particular than say a straight 6, or Chevy 350. But idk exactally where the differences are. Besides there are 2 cam shaft gears and twice the chance 2 mess up lol and no timing chain cover so I'm not exactally sure how to take it off or if I even have to?🤔

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thank u 4 welcoming me. And Honestly I'm not sure if it's first or second Gen. I don't know what the difference would b. Last night I decided to go ahead and start atleast with the minimal removal of parts. Unhooking wires, coil packs, valve cover, air filter, easy stuff and now my biggest thing is it's a dual over head cam😳. No experience with that, but I have been told they are more particular than say a straight 6, or Chevy 350. But idk exactally where the differences are. Besides there are 2 cam shaft gears and twice the chance 2 mess up lol and no timing chain cover so I'm not exactally sure how to take it off or if I even have to?🤔
A generation 1 has a 1.5 litre engine. And the Gen 2 has a 2.4 litre engine. Sounds like your working on a 2nd gen. That's the 2AZFE Camry motor. Plenty of instructions on that motor- Step by Step on YouTube. Show us a pic!

·
Registered
2006 Scion xB Automatic
153 Posts
Another easy way of determining what Gen it is is by the year. 2004 ~ 2007 was FirstGen, 2008 ~ 2015 was SecondGen.

Also, 1Gs are very very boxy, and 2Gs are a bit more "normal" looking vehicles, if that helps.

And/or, why don't I just post pictures... Everyone loves pictures.

1st Gen:

2nd Gen:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
K so it is 2nd gen. I took the valve cover off and decided 2 order a trans mount and a timing chain kit, since the mount is shot and the chain hasn't been changed in about 9yrs so it's prob bout time. Those will be here the beginning of next week so I took the weekend off lol. when I make it back 2 her house prob Monday I'll post a couple pics, and see what I can find on YouTube. After we replaced the water pump we tried 2 start it and it still wouldn't start, would the blown head gasket keep it from starting or is there possibly something else keeping it from starting?

·
Registered
197 Posts
K so it is 2nd gen. I took the valve cover off and decided 2 order a trans mount and a timing chain kit, since the mount is shot and the chain hasn't been changed in about 9yrs so it's prob bout time. Those will be here the beginning of next week so I took the weekend off lol. when I make it back 2 her house prob Monday I'll post a couple pics, and see what I can find on YouTube. After we replaced the water pump we tried 2 start it and it still wouldn't start, would the blown head gasket keep it from starting or is there possibly something else keeping it from starting?
I barely qualify as a shade tree 🌳 mechanic- but did you check your starter? Tap it see if it starts. If so, your starter is going out. You know the routine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will definitely do that once the head gasket is replaced. Does anyone have any tips on changing the timing chain and gears? Like I said before this is the first time I have ever done a dual over head cam and I don't want 2 have 2 redo it once I get it back together.

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,680 Posts
For the chain it will be infinitely easier if you are using an engine hoist to lift the engine. The clearance between the chain cover and the strut tower is very close. Being able to lift it a couple of inches is very beneficial. Also helps in changing motor mounts, but those can be done without it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you are taking the head off for a head gasket make sure you have the head checked for cracks and that it has not warped and you had better check the cylinders before you do all that. Have someone test it or rent a pressure tester. You put it on in place of the radiator cap and pressurize the system
and then look for where the coolant comes out. If it fills a specific cylinder with coolant you will know that is where either the head gasket is bad or you have a warped or cracked head or cracked cylinder wall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts