Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that in Cali, is the center of te automotive world. In miami, we are still trying to discover fire. No one has parts for an Xb. At least QUALITY parts. Yeah, you can get parts, but you wont find no Perrin, or Fujita, etc...
Your gonna get a whole lot of Toyota Echo parts from arospeed or something. I want to get sponsored. I believe my xb is nice, and Im willing to attend shows. But how am I going to attend shows, when everyone looks the same. I am all JDM. 100%. Judges look at my car and they dont even know what a wakaba badge is, or why do I have 15 inch wheels when the xb next to me has some 18 inch Axis mod seven knock offs. Is it that my xb isnt nice? Is there something wrong with the hot lava. And I know my rims are red, I did it like that for a reason. And im sorry if I offended any Judges or people with big rims. Everyone has there own style and I respect that. But for some reason, they are not respecting my style. What am I doing wrong? And what can I do to get sponsored by an out of state company or shop.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I get looked over at shows as well. I'm not as JDM as you yet, but I get ignored when trophys are handed out.

I have one-off custom made deep dish steelies, I have chrome fender mirrors from a 1960's Mini, I have a sweet power canvas sunroof. All these great mods don't stand out amongst the 20" chrome wheels and LEDs and thats how it's always gonna be.

What you need to do is build and modify your car for you. Don't do it to get sponsors or trophies, do it because you love it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do it because I love it. Its just that sponsors would be nice. I love my car, and I modify it with certain parts cause it deserves it. I just get discouraged.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I hear ya, I hear ya.

Look at the bright side.... You have a WAY better chance at sponsorship in Miami than I do in Minneapolis.... lol

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Haha. You still got me beat Chad. Try Kearney, Nebraska getting a sponsor! LOL!

Ive come to the enevitable truth that a car is a car, and you gotta do what you like, because a judge wont be driving your car daily. I understand your want for sponsors, but through a ALOT of hard work, I got some, and they werent all theyre cracked up to be. Discount prices... woo hoo.... then your stuck running THEIR stickers and listening to THEIR demands, when in reality, you could waited and got a good deal and paid slightly more.

Ive been through the gammit of parts on my car, and it took me quite a bit of money and modding before a sponsor would take a second glance at me. Just be thankful you are where you are. You will have SOME people recognize JDM parts, whereas midwest is still unknown. Im sure Chad, Jim, and others will vouch for me there. I still have never seen a trophy with my car, and doubt I ever will. I dont build it for judges, I build it because its the style I love, and it will keep me loving it.

As for not having quality parts, I know your predicament, so I suggest finding a good source (JDMPalace, TakumiProject, MemoryFab, etc) and ordering parts online. (whether from J-land or wherever)

Only suggestion I give, is keeping working on making resume's to send to businesses, and stress what YOU can do for THEM. Not vice-versa. Just hope someone will pick ya up on a good deal, and work from there.

Be thankful for what you do have, and ignore the ignorance. Build what ya want, ignore the judges, and dont get too hung up over some 10% discounts on a 3rd rate part.

Scotty

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Yeah, the coasts are the place to be, really, to get sponsored. The weather is always nicer, so the cars always look nicer. People get paid more, so they can afford more - YES I know the standard of living is higher on the coasts, but dollar for dollar, the people on the coasts can spend more. Trust me, anyone can do the math. As stated above, keep putting in resumes and you should hear something back. Don't get discouraged, just keep up what you like doing with your car.

·
Registered
336 Posts
man i only won one time and i have a crap load done to my car wayy more then alot of people that win just keep ur head up and do what u love to do u go to a car show to meet new people and have fun its not all about winning i cant get sponsered for anything eather dont feel bad dude and i live in cali

·
Registered
916 Posts
IM gonna give you some constuctive criticism here. Im not hating on your car. i love the JDM theme, as most of you know from how my car looks and the parts that I have.

TO get sponsered usually, you car has to be almost done. You really still have a long way to go till completion. Manufacturers want cars that stand out and that show quality and they want their product to be apart of that auro that your car should show. THey want cars that stand out from the usauly crowd of that specific car. I think you need to diferentiate your xB from others. Alot of people are running the 002's and maybe you just need to step up your game to something more exclusive and do some things to your care that few have done or something totally new. Just my 2 cents.

As for shows and winnning, whocares about that. Its just a throphy. There is always gonna be someone better than u in someones eyes. Your not gonna please everyone. As for what the general public thinks of cool in Miami (big crome wheels); well that just sucks lol. Here in So Cal, its all about JDM lol. maybe you can start the JDM trend over there.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Agree with Matty. Im trying to set JDM and VIP off in Nebraska (not working however).

One thing I think I would suggest if you keep the 02s, would be to colormatch. NO ONE is doing that, and it would be hot. Red/orange clash a tad. (no offense meant). A little lower stance would be good too. You have a very nice looking car; better than 99% I see driving. I really dont think you should lose sleep over this. Build it, and they will come.

Take a look at this way: How many sponsors does Matty have? How many does JDMJim have? How many does Dajap and Suspended have? These are some of THE best xBs in the United States, and even they dont have a ton. Take it for what its worth.

Scotty

·
Registered
916 Posts
Well put ScionScotty. As for amount of sponsors; im kinda of at an advatge to most people. Since i work at a shop, i have built a network of people in the industry that know about my car. Even though, i only have 4 sponsors, F5Fujita, DVS, SST, and my work Island Motorsports. All my other deals have been for media like my Axis wheels ad. And thru that, i could possibly gain more. Its sorta like, being at the right place at the right time to land that sort of deal. Its all been luck for me and im gratefull for that.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Yep! Matty, just curious, how many are fullblown sponsors, and what are your roles with them? (Ie. recommended amount of shows and stuff). Just curious. I know full ones are hard as HELL to come by, and if you can gettem, they always want a ton in return.

Scotty

·
Registered
916 Posts
ScionScotty said:
Yep! Matty, just curious, how many are fullblown sponsors, and what are your roles with them? (Ie. recommended amount of shows and stuff). Just curious. I know full ones are hard as HELL to come by, and if you can gettem, they always want a ton in return.

Scotty

All of them are fullblown sponsorships. I didn't pay for anything they gave me and Im gratefull for that. All they told me was to promote the brand and/or product. And i keep in touch with them on what ive been doing show and media wise. So they don't say, you have to go to this show and that show. But I do it out of respect cause they have scratched my back and I plan to do the same for them. The car industry is a very close community where the inside ppl know each other and if your not being a good sponsor, word can get around very quick. Manufacturers look for loyalty.

I almost forgot to more sponsors, Meguires and Dunlop. Those 2 sponsors are from a team im part of, Team Flux. We get tires every year and meguires sends us cleaning products. For that type of sponsorship; espcially Dunlop, they check at the big shows if we have their tires on and check up on the team. Were kinda on edge with them right no cause some arent using the tires (like me lol). Meguirs just requires us to use there cleaning products and promote their quality. But out of respect to all sponsors, I always like to show my appreciation and they will see that and scratch your back more than once. Even though I don't have Dunlop tires on, i will put the Dunlop tire stands on my tires at shows just in case they are watching.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate you guys hearing me out and providing your input. Thanks a lot. As for starting a JDM trend in Miami. That might be the most logical thing I think of. I guess you guys get Miami show coverage online or something. Cause yeah, its all about big chrome wheels. lol. Yeah, and my stance, I realized I need to step up my game a little. 2007 will be a good year.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Check out my signature......

·
Registered
308 Posts
I live in Buffalo NY ( Where The Snow Is ) you people in the sun are lucky! The only good thing for my their ain't many built XB's. I have to work harder to get sponsors and still working at it. Love your car and keep on building it and have fun.:)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Just do what you like, sponsorships are nice but it's like being a professional athelete. Don't worry about the car show judges. Granted my B isn't anywhere near what some of the guys I ride with, but where I work if you got something nice, it'll get stolen. So I decided to go kinda stealthy. I got mods on the box, but unless I start spouting them off no one is the wiser. I'm kinda sad/fustrated that I don't think I'll ever place in any show but hey, I also like just hanging out and seeing what everyone does. Think about how nice the ride is on your 15" rims compared to the guy riding around on 20" rims. . .:D

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I don't have any sponsers either. I would like to, but I don't think I could commit to it like they want. So when I started showing off the xB, I was the only guy on air and dished wheels in Chicago. But who noticed? We can thank Fast and Furious for trends that exist today. i.e. weird distasteful bodykits, poor wheel fitment, wild vinyl graphics or paint and crazy sound systems. That's what judges like. So how do you set yourself apart? Read on.
My first HIN this year, I got nothing. I was a little discouraged. but my car was not really done yet. Incomplete means no winning. another thing I noticed were the scoffs I got from kids when they walked by. Not sure why since they walked by 10 other xB's before they got to me. oh yeah, they had graphics, neons, fiberglass, etc, etc. The guy that got best xB had all that and interior work done. Do you see where this goes?
So the best way to get noticed is to talk tot he judges. You gotta be there to present your car. Present it even if they don't want you to. Show passion for it. That is what will set you apart. Presentation. Next time around, I got best Scion. Every time I showed the car, I had a little something different.
I was honored to see my car as a featured car of HIN;Nightshift and I turned up on BOTI's website for the carshow portion of a show flyer. I was more excited about that than anything. That's respect. Even one judge told me he knew my car and I said I changed some things, He said" show me". But do I do it for the shows? nope. I do it to expose a different type of xB build. I love my car and this is how I wanted it from the conception of buying it.
To woo the sponsers, you need to create a packet of info and your modifications you have done as well as accomplishments, awards and coverage. Like a resume for the car for your prospective sponser.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
where I work if you got something nice, it'll get stolen. So I decided to go kinda stealthy. I got mods on the box, but unless I start spouting them off no one is the wiser.
I hear that. Part of the reason I don’t have any audio mods or screens is because I doubt I’ll go two weeks w/o a break in. Of course I’m also not much of an audiophile. Yet. ;)

I do believe you should mod for yourself. Since I love the lights and vinyl I’ll leave the f & f comments alone; except to say that’s what I like about this site, even if it isn’t your style you give props to others for having THEIR own style. Hey, I don’t have rims. I like my color matched steelies and bling rings. And I’ll probably never place in any show while I have them. Se La vie.

I’m still pretty new to the whole car culture (and I just attended my second show); so this might seem like a strange question, but don’t you guys have a JDM category? I thought that was fairly common. Of course I’m in Cali. . . .

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Hell no we dont have a JDM category. lol! It would only be me the majority of the time. Hell Ive honestly never been to a show that has classes for wild, mild, etc.

scotty

·
NEXT LEVEL MOTORING
3,810 Posts
For me, car shows are where I can meet up with great people. I have entered my ride for show's and all, and i have had my share but it's about the people most of all.

My ride is nothing compare to many out there but, I personally put in my time, effort and my family backing me up with support and finances. Yes, I'm sponsored to a point but that's it. I'm loyal to them.

I believe that you have an obligation that must be upheld and carried through when you are sponsored, and there is much commitment and accountability.
Like others have stated, full sponsorship is hardly ever there unless you're part of the "Team" or in the bussiness. If you want big, you gotta be out there consistantly and talk to proper personal who are "in the" bussiness. Talk with them and establish a relationship with them, and be positive.

Also, you'll need to plan your season/yearly schedule for the events that you are entering. Sponsor's would like to know all the "Big Shows" that you are attending/entering. No matter how big or small the sponsor/company is, when "you" can be out there promoting and bringing their name to attention, they will be happy. Remember that you are a representative/ambassador of that company.

Small shows are great too, because you get to meet alot of people and you are able to direct them to your sponsor. It's all about networking.

All in all, it's how you Represent yourself, and the Company. A match made in heaven? hummm......

BTW, Have Fun at the shows!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.