Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone!! just had my goldlines put in about one week ago, then i start hearing some noises on the front(chattering noises or more like rattling). All of the strut bolts are tighten and the 17mm nut was also tightened. I have a 2006 xb maybe i was wondering if the springs could be different because when we took it apart it seems as if the spring doesnt sit well on the strut. The noise is really bothering me and this is my daily driven car. Other than that the ride is great. Please help me out here, anything will be appreciated.:(

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
alfred said:
hello everyone!! just had my goldlines put in about one week ago, then i start hearing some noises on the front(chattering noises or more like rattling). All of the strut bolts are tighten and the 17mm nut was also tightened. I have a 2006 xb maybe i was wondering if the springs could be different because when we took it apart it seems as if the spring doesnt sit well on the strut. The noise is really bothering me and this is my daily driven car. Other than that the ride is great. Please help me out here, anything will be appreciated.:(
Not sure if this will help. When I bought my 06, the dealer installed the TRD springs after I had the Box for a month. I noticed the noise you are describing after the installation. I took it back to the dealer and after a week long horror story, the noise was gone. I took the TRD's out and installed the Gold-Lines and the noise is back. When I took the TRD's out, I noticed that the rubber boot was installed backwards, the "out" tab was actually pointed inwards. I'm not sure if that's what they did to silence the noise but I'm going to pull mine and turn the boot around to see if it makes any difference. You may want to try it as well. Did you install your own springs?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i didnt, someone from high end performance (local tuning shop). what do you mean?? Im sorry i dont understand. BUt i realized that we didnt put the rubber thing thats on the stock spring(on the bottom of the coil) on the goldlines. Do you think that could be it also??

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
alfred said:
no i didnt, someone from high end performance (local tuning shop). what do you mean?? Im sorry i dont understand. BUt i realized that we didnt put the rubber thing thats on the stock spring(on the bottom of the coil) on the goldlines. Do you think that could be it also??
The bump stop needs to be there. I cut off one inch of it to stop from bottoming out, but it needs to be there. The boot I'm talking about is the black rubber cone shapped boot that goes on the inside of the spring. It has an "in" and "out" side marked on it.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
alfred said:
we did cut the bumpstops and everything seemed to be installed correctly.
I have a feeling that the rubber seat is what he left off, if that's the case you're gonna get noise from the spring rubbing on the bare metal platform at the bottom. I'd take it back and ask him to put it back in.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
NVSHSKR said:
I have the same chatter, Goldline has a write up about it on their website. Go to www.goldlineonline.com and click on the installation tips link on the left of the page, then click on the silencer tubing placement link and that will tell you what you need to do.
I saw that write-up a while back but I don't think they're describing the noise I have. The noise I am dealing with is more of a "clunk" than a "squeak/rubbing" noise. Kind of strange that they know about the problem but don't have the tubes on from the get go. I've seen cheaper and probably lesser quality springs for sale on eBay that have the tubes. :confused:

·
Registered
70 Posts
It sounds like something is loose right? I have the same thing and it sucks because I have taken my springs off and reinstalled them multiple times but nothing has worked so I am going to have to try this and see if it fixes it. My springs are quite loud but I have dealt with the noise for the last two years so I am in no hurry to fix it I will do it next time I have the front struts off. It's worth a try what can it hurt.

From what I have heard the noise issue only affects about one out of every ten sets of springs and I agree they should install them on the springs or at least include them with the springs.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
NVSHSKR said:
It sounds like something is loose right? I have the same thing and it sucks because I have taken my springs off and reinstalled them multiple times but nothing has worked so I am going to have to try this and see if it fixes it. My springs are quite loud but I have dealt with the noise for the last two years so I am in no hurry to fix it I will do it next time I have the front struts off. It's worth a try what can it hurt.
It does sound like something is loose but that's in the front. The back ones make the low sqeak sound when I park and get out of the Box. I know it's been a while since you did yours but do you remember if the top plate came right off or if it was stuck at a bit of an angle when you removed it? From what I've heard it should just pop off when the top nut is removed, mine had to be smacked with a hammer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
surfcitylocal said:
It does sound like something is loose but that's in the front. The back ones make the low sqeak sound when I park and get out of the Box. I know it's been a while since you did yours but do you remember if the top plate came right off or if it was stuck at a bit of an angle when you removed it? From what I've heard it should just pop off when the top nut is removed, mine had to be smacked with a hammer.
I think I had to do the same thing with the top plate. I will find out the next time I take it off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
maybe i will try putting the silencer tubings. Do i just need to put them in the front? How much do they go for? thank you very much for the info NVSHSKR. Doesnt hurt to try right. When i put the silencer tubing, do i need to take apart the whole strut/spring?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.