Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please help, Broken Neon Underglow Kit

5K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  polarproject 
#1 ·
I posted this awhile back on SL and the responses were. . . less than helpful. (Everyone said I should’ve bought LED instead. Thanks, but I would like to try and fix the neon I already own first.:rolleyes: ) Part of why I stopped hanging at SL. So I thought I would try again here. Here is my original post:

So I just got a new set of APC (American Products Co) blue neon under glow, and accidentally cracked the back 36” tube while installing it. The wiring is all set, I just need the tube. I tried going back to Kragen Auto Parts, and they were less than helpful. (He did offer to sell me another set.) I plan to try calling around this week to see if I can find a different store to order the part, but thought I should check if anyone here had any recommendations first.

This is my first underglow. I’m assuming that these are brand specific, but maybe there’s a generic I can use? I can’t even seem to find the website for the manufacturer. Here is the info from the box: APC (American Products Co) 506556B Neon Under Car Kit 4 p blue, barcode: 688278983784.

(The following was a second post I made a few days later)
Ok, now this is getting ridiculous!

I finally got a hold of the manufacturer @ 1-800-594-4272 and Paul there tells me that APC doesn’t offer replacement bulbs. I’ll just have to go and buy a whole new kit. When I told him it was damaged during install he wants to know why I expect them to give me a new bulb. I explain I don’t -- I want to BUY one. When I ask why other companies offer replacement bulbs he says he “doesn’t know why APC doesn’t, they just don’t.” He tells me “when you buy a lamp and you break it you have to go buy a new one.” To which I respond, “When I buy a lamp and the bulb breaks I go buy a new LIGHT BULB, not a new lamp!” Paul is clearly not my friend. When I ask to speak to a supervisor he refuses and says that he is one.

According to the parts guy at a local store I might be able to use another manufacture’s neon, but will probably have to alter the wiring harness and/ or clips to make it fit.

Seriously, I hear about tubes burning out and cracking all the time. Does everyone really go out and drop $100+ when this happens? If so anyone else want to go in on a new kit & split parts?

I'll never buy anything else from APC again!

Here’s the company website:
http://americanproductscompany.com

Love how the front and sides look, (I'll try to post some 'pics once I have more done) please help me get my back to glow!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
i paid 25 bucks for a cheap neon kit that works just as good....im not sure what type of wiring that APC kit has...but the one I had just had a positive and negative wire..hook those up to a switch and they glowed just fine....if one broke which it did.. I just bought another kit replaced the one I needed and kept the other tubes for future incidents...but yea its gonna be hard to find just 1 replacement tube...

#3 ·
I know this won't be much help but at this point you may want to start over with an LED kit from a dealer who does offer replacement pieces. It would suck to lose the dough you spent on the first one but sometimes it's the price we pay for knowledge. I'm not trying to slam you, just offering some advice. :D

#4 ·
streetglow does offer single replacement bulbs for all their sets, you may want to check them out www.streetglow.com

i know they used to make all of their neons here in the USA, they might still.
the advantage being replacement parts;

STREET GLOW made in USA = replacement parts available

APC made somewhere overseas = dumb guy on phone that pisses you off

i have had a set of street glow optx series neons for about 4 years now,
they have been in three different cars and now reside under my xB.
check my profile if you want to see pics or there are more on my site(use link below - go to gallery section)

imo - neon has a glow that can't be duplicated. it makes me all warm inside.:)

#9 ·
Since it was the back it just hasn’t been a high priority lately. I was thinking of getting a single tube from street glow, but I didn’t want to deal with the hassles of trying to return anything bought online if it didn’t work. When I saw the single tube at AutoZone I figured it would be easy to return there!

I will check out http://www.autolumination.com though. I’ve heard good things. Just placed an order last night from Oznium so no more lights ‘till next paycheck. I’ve pretty much run out of things to buy from Pepboys. . . :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.