Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know anywhere I can get a chip for an xB......I am also looking into getting a new intake and was wondering what some other people had and who liked what better as far as performance increase for the money

a little help would be awesome

·
Registered
974 Posts
Performance chips do nothing on N/A cars like ours. I don't care what brand it is or how much it costs, a chip will get you nothing but an empty wallet.

If you want a little extra pep, buy an intake and a cat-back exhaust.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya i was just wondering about chips cause i haven't seen anything or read anything.....I am looking at getting a cold air intake and a headers back exhaust but I was wanting to hear otehr peoples input on what they have to see what was out there

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I just installed a short ram (fujita) intake. I like the gains, although it is with the butt dyno. Unless you go forced induction all gains will be fairly small and I would not expect to see more than a 110hp to the wheels possibility (now I am sure someone will disagree and show me there slip here and I say please do).

The typical response to a question like this without forced induction is the intake, header, exhaust, and pulley.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have not found any "chips" for our motors, and the ones on ebay are just resistors( search the forum, it has been covered many times). I even tested a few, made a few and tried some piggy back systems for awhile. WE got strange ECUs , they adapt quickly.

As for intakes, you will get as many answers as to which is best from just as many people. Personally I have a K&N Typhoon system and like it, added a TBS( Throttle Body Spacer) and like it ( it is still open for debate here as to if they do anything, waiting for someone to do the dyno as promised :rolleyes: )

In all my reading, it seems that all intakes for our cars are really created equal,as far as hp gains go no matter what the manufacture says. Just matters what you like.

Good luck and welcome ( I see you have only 1 post):D

·
Registered
101 Posts
yeah. this is my 2nd post. i've been hearing a lot about the I/H/E set up and i really love what everyone says about it. is there a specific company that cranks out the most for each system?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
No all seem to be fairly equal. There are of coarse small differences, but most are very close. Most comes down to sound, look, ect. I comes down to where you want to be with your box. (the style you are trying to acheive)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Because you are in California I would recommend the Injen short ram. Only because it is CARB excempt. If you have an '06, or do not care about being CARB legal, I recommend the Fujita F5 short ram.

Both have similar designs and provide similar gains. The Fujita has the advantage (in my opinion) because of the placement of the breather hose relative to the MAF sensor. It can also usually be found a bit cheaper than the Injen intake.

Good luck, and as mentioned before, welcome.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what is carb exempt? i live in virginia and don't even know what the hell that whole carb thing means....i have an 06' is it gonna mess up my emissions test?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
does pulleys do anything in our xb's? what about aem intake, why doesn't people buy that intake?
1. Pulleys do a tremendous amount. There are multiple types of pulleys. The best IMO is just a lightweight pulley. By taking 3-5 lbs off the motor it acts as if you have taken 100 lbs off of the car. Another type of pulley is the under drive. This has a smaller diameter and brings up more problems with other systems.

2. AEM seems to be a good intake. Much like the Injen. Some models have issues with the filter falling off though (dont know which ones it is)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
what is carb exempt? i live in virginia and don't even know what the hell that whole carb thing means....i have an 06' is it gonna mess up my emissions test?
If you don't live in California it is not a big issue. CARB stands for California Air Resource Board. Basically every year or so when you have to be re certified if it does not meet these standards and the company has not paid tons of money to the state, you can not have it on your car. Does this mean if it is not that it is any less of and intake? No it does not.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
emissions test are not manditory for a state inspection in Va. i know we've never done one here at work. you'll be good.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The description above for CARB is fairly accurate. But there is a lot more to it than "paying a bunch of money to the state." The money the manufacturers are paying is for testing. Not just some random fee for an E/O number and a sticker.

And no, not every company feels the need to take their products through the process. And even more companies do not feel the need to take all of their products through the CARB E/O process. It all boils down to economics. Are they going to make their money back on what it takes get a part through CARB? On something like the oh so popular Civic, you bet. On something with lower production numbers, and less owners customizing like an xB, maybe not.

And now other states are starting to jump on the CARB band wagon. I have heard that some states are requiring that any aftermarket part you install that can affect emissions must be CARB exempt, just like here in California.

Now we have had someone from Virginia state that this is not the case in VA. That is a good thing for VA residents. It doesn't mean that all intakes are equal though. Do your own research, read through past threads and reviews, and do some comparison shopping.

As I previously stated, I think the Fujita F5 short ram is the best intake for the money. So much so I have installed it on my wife's car even though it is not CARB exempt.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
awesome you live in richmond....i saw a bunch of xbs all in a row driving through the bottom, is it a xb club around here?

·
Registered
6 Posts
awesome you live in richmond....i saw a bunch of xbs all in a row driving through the bottom, is it a xb club around here?
i know there are a couple of scion clubs around here, but i'm not really familiar with them. check out the va motorsports park in dinwiddie some time. i'm sure you'll find them there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.