Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know what is available for air intake systems and exhaust systems for xb but i have not been able to find any information on performance chips. I have a jet performance chip on another vehicle (along with a K&N air intake system and a flowmaster exhaust system) and i love the results. Anyone know if there are performance chips for the xb and where i can find them. Thanx, rbarrett

·
Registered
974 Posts
Performance chips on normally aspirated cars are a waste anyways. The gains are so small it's not worth your time.

Now if you do some headwork and maybe some cams, then a chip would be worth it.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
we must be talking about different kinds then. because when i type in "xb" they always come up..usually as something like 20+ hp...

·
Registered
974 Posts
20hp? LOLOLOLOLOL

There is no way a chip in an xB could ever get you 20+hp. Blitz and TRD are having a hard enough time getting 35hp with a turbo or S/C... lol

·
Registered
416 Posts
chip on ebay

i have heard that the chip on ebay... just tricks the ecu into thinking that it is running lean and dumps more fuel dont know if that helps....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Maybe i am wrong but that sounds like a perfomance module not a chip..... Chip actually goes in your ecu, a performance module is just a square box that connects and tricks your ecu into dumping more fuel, if you dont have to send your ecu off it is probably not a chip.....

·
Registered
974 Posts
uthmandan said:
Maybe i am wrong but that sounds like a perfomance module not a chip..... Chip actually goes in your ecu, a performance module is just a square box that connects and tricks your ecu into dumping more fuel, if you dont have to send your ecu off it is probably not a chip.....

You don't have to send your ECU off for modern chips either. Modern chips are really a program that is flashed into your existing ECU with no chip replacement required.

And back to my point. There is no way a chip or somple program like that can get you any serious gains. Big time performance companies can't even get huge gains with forced induction.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
yeah I picked it up,only because I was a victim of those stupid things. I thought it was an actual chip when I bought it. When it showed up to my house and I opened it, I shook the box thinking that it was the wrong thing. :mad: Pissed me off so much. But I hooked it up neways and it worked like it was supposed to. CRAP!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The ECU's in our cars are too touchy for anything to work. I changed spark plugs and set a code. If you get an "ebay special" and actually know how to wire it into your MAF, it just tells the computer that the air coming into the intake is colder than it is and it will dump more fuel in to compensate for the denser air....but the O2 sensor on the other side will see too much fuel and correct it so that the cat doesn't heat up and be destroyed thus causing the MIL to set...Yea!

·
Registered
77 Posts
ctruss said:
Performance chips on normally aspirated cars are a waste anyways. The gains are so small it's not worth your time.

Now if you do some headwork and maybe some cams, then a chip would be worth it.
Does anybody make cams for the xB? I'd like to find them if they do! :D

·
Registered
974 Posts
FDKxB said:
Does anybody make cams for the xB? I'd like to find them if they do! :D
If what you are getting at is there are no cams available for the xB you are probably right.

My point is simply to say that it takes a cam and serious head work for a chip to make any kind of difference on a normally aspirated engine. Since the cams aren't available that solidifys my point when I say how worthless a chip is for our vehicles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
those chips are not really chips.

heres what you get for 20 bones off ebay.

you think its a chip. but its a resistor. if you open anything like a computer or the remote to a rc car. you will see them everywere.

the only thing it does is makes your MAF sensor think your sucking in cold air making the engine run richer. if you ever see black smoke coming out of someones exaust its cuz they burn rich. that black smoke is all the unburned fuel not completely combusting.

in the long run it screws up your car. it can cause shorts in your fueling systems in ending with high priced repairs.

also it could screw up your o2 sensor. rich fuel can build up

if you really wanna chip it. buy a piggy back system. like apexi or hks. or go all out and stand alone your ecu with a empty one you have to dyno tune.

there is also the apexi air flow converter that thing is really cool check it out its like 300 bucks before specials and stuff

·
Registered
974 Posts
julioxcorexA said:
those chips are not really chips.

heres what you get for 20 bones off ebay.

you think its a chip. but its a resistor. if you open anything like a computer or the remote to a rc car. you will see them everywere.

the only thing it does is makes your MAF sensor think your sucking in cold air making the engine run richer. if you ever see black smoke coming out of someones exaust its cuz they burn rich. that black smoke is all the unburned fuel not completely combusting.

in the long run it screws up your car. it can cause shorts in your fueling systems in ending with high priced repairs.

also it could screw up your o2 sensor. rich fuel can build up

if you really wanna chip it. buy a piggy back system. like apexi or hks. or go all out and stand alone your ecu with a empty one you have to dyno tune.

there is also the apexi air flow converter that thing is really cool check it out its like 300 bucks before specials and stuff

And none of this will get you any REAL gains unless you go do some serious engine work or forced induction.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.