Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving since 1976 and have never caused an accident. I have not received a moving violation since I was 18 (46 now) I have been driving a company van for 28 years and not had so much as a scratch. That all came to an end Monday evening in Brea. I was traveling west on Imperial Highway when the traffic in front of me began to stop suddenly. There were two Brea P.D. officers taking an accident report on the side of the road and they saw the entire series of events.

I started to brake and my speed was down to less than 20 mph. As I applied more brake I checked my rear view mirror to see what was coming behind me. I saw a lifted Dodge ram pick up truck that had no intention of stopping. I left my attention on him for about four seconds, just long enough for the cars in front of me to come to a screeching halt while I was not looking. You can guess what happen from there.

The officers took our information and one of them was kind enough to explain to my supervisor that there wasn't much I could have done, the line of cars in front of me had stopped with inches between them. The weight of my van was too great to stop in the short space left between the Toyota Camry and my van.

No one was hurt and the damage was minimal, the majority of damage was done to my van. The thing that really hurts is that the third vehicle in the collision was a Salsa Red xB! I felt really bad about him getting hit from behind by the Camry. I invited him to check out Club xB and hopefully he'll stop by.

Here's the pics of the damage. They were taken with my phone so please don't expect much!

I had hoped to retire from at&t with a perfect driving record but that ain't gonna happen now. I can't believe how much this is bugging me. 30 years of driving without causing an accident and now this! It sucks!!!!!

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Oh man that sucks. Good thing no one was hurt though. Too bad there was an xB involved :(

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
sorry to hear that Taz. thankfully it sounds like no one was hurt and everything will be okay in the end for ya. happens to the best of us man!

scotty

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
oh man! sorry to read that Taz. good thing everyones alright. I hope everythings going to be taken cared smoothly. Don't think of this too much. we all have some bad moments, things will always get better.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
ScionScotty said:
sorry to hear that Taz. thankfully it sounds like no one was hurt and everything will be okay in the end for ya. happens to the best of us man!

scotty
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Pretty much what I would have said. :(

Sounds like you didn't have an out, so you really couldn't have done much anyway. Glad you're okay, your pride will heal my friend.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
At least it wasn't your car!

But I mean, I've been involved in 1 accident in my life (retarded woman decided to change lanes into me), and they're no fun.

I'm glad no one's hurt. Sorry to hear about the perfect driving record nixed..

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
So what happened to the big Dodge truck????

Well lets see my first accident, was a side swipe in a 78 Ford Fairmont, I was just out of high school 1985, second one was in my lowered 89 Ford Ranger (SLAMMED WITH STILLEN GROUND EFFECTS) with a COW at 2am in the middle of the road (I was not drinking, it was dark and the cow was black, the cops came and could not find the it, the next morning dad went downand found it in a four foot ditch, right where I said I it was, hell my anti-freeze and parts were all on the ground at the impact point), the 3rd was in the same 89 Ford Ranger, right after it was fixed from the COW incident, someone stopped in front of me to turn with no signal across 4 lanes of traffic,the 4th was me putting my 92 Mustang 5.0 in a ditch when the roads were damp from a light rain, the 5th was in my POS 88 Ford Ranger was just down the street from work going home when someone decide to turn with no warning, the car in front of me (that works in my building just stopped and I smacked her, cost me $100 to fix that truck and cost my insurance 5 or 6K to fix her car. But each wreck comes off in 3 years!!!! So your better off than I am TAZ!!!!

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
glad to hear your ok bro. sorry about your driving record. ya really couldn't do much from what it sounds like. at least be thankful this was in your work car and not your beautiful xb.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Skeeter said:
Well lets see my first accident, was a side swipe in a 78 Ford Fairmont, I was just out of high school 1985, second one was in my lowered 89 Ford Ranger (SLAMMED WITH STILLEN GROUND EFFECTS) with a COW at 2am in the middle of the road (I was not drinking, it was dark and the cow was black, the cops came and could not find the it, the next morning dad went downand found it in a four foot ditch, right where I said I it was, hell my anti-freeze and parts were all on the ground at the impact point), the 3rd was in the same 89 Ford Ranger, right after it was fixed from the COW incident, someone stopped in front of me to turn with no signal across 4 lanes of traffic,the 4th was me putting my 92 Mustang 5.0 in a ditch when the roads were damp from a light rain, the 5th was in my POS 88 Ford Ranger was just down the street from work going home when someone decide to turn with no warning, the car in front of me (that works in my building just stopped and I smacked her, cost me $100 to fix that truck and cost my insurance 5 or 6K to fix her car. But each wreck comes off in 3 years!!!! So your better off than I am TAZ!!!!

You left out hitting the bird....

And hauling our washer home and the lady that smacked into the back of us.

And the mustang down on McCracken...

and thats just off the top of my head...

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The white truck made a smooth move to the left turn lane and avoided the whole mess. The cops saw him swerve but didn't get the plate. At least it was only three vehicles and not four.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
OMG, Taz! Atleast you are OK! This totally wasn't your fault, trying to prevent an accident and all, and then those damn LA drivers slamming on their brakes .... You know, the people here really do not know how to drive. I sincerely believe that people here just take their keys, get in their cars, and then they just WING IT from there.

You should make the world record for longest time in LA without an accident OR ticket! I don't think I've met anyone here yet that hasn't had an accident or ticket on a fairly regular basis. I hope this doesn't hurt your standing with the company, or with insurance.

Hang in there, Taz! :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
boxd_up said:
OMG, Taz! Atleast you are OK! This totally wasn't your fault, trying to prevent an accident and all, and then those damn LA drivers slamming on their brakes .... You know, the people here really do not know how to drive. I sincerely believe that people here just take their keys, get in their cars, and then they just WING IT from there.

You should make the world record for longest time in LA without an accident OR ticket! I don't think I've met anyone here yet that hasn't had an accident or ticket on a fairly regular basis. I hope this doesn't hurt your standing with the company, or with insurance.

Hang in there, Taz! :)
Well legally it is his fault, he said he took his vision off of the road in front of him. Realistically there was nothing he could do.

The insurance company will most likely raise his rate, but a nominal amount, due to his record and years driving. (I'm a former adjuster). The problem arises when the other accident victims see a company truck and start hollering about their "injuries." This will affect your rates much more.

I myself have been in 14 accidents (ALL not at fault, most were rear enders, and the rest were sideswipes or bad lane changes without looking). I was only behind the wheel for 4. I know about these California drivers. I've been hit by drunks, a lady doing her makeup, a sleepy trucker, an meth freak w/warrants in 3 states, and the best was a guy on his phone/using his palm pilot and reading a map.

I'm just glad you weren't hurt. I used to work in telecom and there's not a lot to the front of those vans. Get yourself checked out.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I realize that by law he is at fault, but I have also been in his position and know that you can't possibly have your eyes on what's going on in front of you AND what's going on in back of you, at the very same time. As human beings, we are not robots, therefore I believe that many traffic laws are not all that realistic. I, personally, do not blame him and feel that he shouldn't kick himself for being only human.

I work in a law firm, and see how many people sue just to get rich quick. So I know it will happen. I have seen the surveillance tapes of these very same people that are not injured like they say they are. Makes for good workplace entertainment.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Taz, that sucks!

Just glad you’re ok.

Can you guys imagine if that BCP joined the club? “So how did you hear about club xB?” “Man, you’ll never believe this, but I was driving down the highway. . .”

And people wonder why I don’t leave our valley that much. I’m from Chicago, and the drivers out here are, well, insane. Few years back I got hit in my old Corolla by a pickup that neglected to look left & right at an intersection. I entered on yellow, but the convertible in opposing traffic decided to run the light and turn left in front of me which left me trapped as the light changed. Got hit on the back passenger side, did a lovely 180 and clipped a poor innocent minivan. No serious damage or injuries to the others. I was pretty sore for a week, and my car was in the shop for about as long.

I wish that they forced people to run an obstacle course to ensure the can safely maneuver those huge trucks & SUVs. Ever see soccer mom driving her hummer as if it were a compact?

Don’t worry Taz, sounds like you’ve still got most of us beat record wise! Heck you could even start a poll: how’s your driving record compared to Taz’s? Better or worse?

·
Registered
206 Posts
i'm glad everyone is all right!!! sorry about your driving record.... I hope everything works out with you.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll find out tomorrow how much time they'll give me off of work.

The guy I hit said he was fine and the officer recorded that everyone was walking and talking after the accident. We were doing less than 15 mph at the time of the crash. There is always the chance that one of them would go for the deep pockets since at&t is self insured.

I should point out that I can't take responsibility for the accident due to company policy...you all know what that means. Let's just say I agree with the posts that say "legally" and leave it at that.

Thanks for all the kind words, I had no idea I would be so bummed out by this. I've been totally paranoid the past few days, I've had four people pull into my lane and almost hit my truck. I must have become magnetized during the last fender bender.:eek:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I spent 25 years in the old 'Bell System' (including time with AT&T and at Bell Labs), and I know just how strict the company rules are - and how unforgiving they can be. Luckily I never crashed one of their vehicles, or even got a ticket in one. (I did have one of the old olive ones decide to have brake failure on me, but I managed to ge it stopped without bouncing off anything. I took a cab back to the C.O. and told the boss where he could find his car as I handed him the keys.)

Hopefully, the 'powers that be' will view it as minor, and won't overreact like they are sometimes prone to, Taz.

Good luck!
Tom

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tomas said:
I spent 25 years in the old 'Bell System' (including time with AT&T and at Bell Labs), and I know just how strict the company rules are - and how unforgiving they can be. Luckily I never crashed one of their vehicles, or even got a ticket in one. (I did have one of the old olive ones decide to have brake failure on me, but I managed to ge it stopped without bouncing off anything. I took a cab back to the C.O. and told the boss where he could find his car as I handed him the keys.)

Hopefully, the 'powers that be' will view it as minor, and won't overreact like they are sometimes prone to, Taz.

Good luck!
Tom
That's why I so bummed Tomas, I was counting on retiring with a perfect record. I've never caused an accident in my personal vehicles either but somehow it just seemed like more of an accomplishment considering all the miles I put on the van every day. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.