Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Take it out.
Tape off the parts you don't want painted.
Take red 3M scotch brite and scuff the area to be painted.
Paint a few light coats of paint (let dry a couple min. between coats)
After color dries completly do the same with clear.
Let dry remove tape and should look great.

Just make sure you don't peel the paint up with the tape.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Buy some Krylon Fusion for plastic! WalMart or Auto Zone whereever!

They have an emerald color, its not metallic tho but its shiney!

Two coats and you're ready to go!

If I can do mine {not green tho} you can do yours!! lol

Good luck and share pics k!

·
Registered
109 Posts
The Krylon paint does work. If you know someone who is having your color chioce painted on some pieces, ask if you can have yours painted too. I had mine done while my GF was having her lip kit painted last year. The professional paint with the clear is absolutely fantastic. It looks like it came from the factory like that.

·
Registered
110 Posts
hmmm i am going to paint my dash piece white to match my car and i want to do the shift part too the silver part, and sometime i wanna do the silver pieces on the door but idont know howto take those off anyone wanna tell me lol

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
ScionXBrider, do a search on here and you would get more than enough hits to read through, you will spend hours reading. BUT to get you started, you are going to have to remove the door panel, which means removing the door handle for closing the door, 1 philips screw to remove that handle, and remove the 1 philips screw behind the door handle you pull to open the door and then one plastic screw on the front edge of the door panel. Then you pull the pane out away from the door there are 10 or so snaps, unplug the window and door lock controlls, and WALA, the panel is removed. Clean any parts you are going to paint, make sure there is no oils or grease from your hands, scuff the parts with sand paper, and I primer my parts others do not, and once that is dry paint the color using light coats, let dry and spary another light coat, and clear if you want. Reassemble slowly so you dont scratch your newly painted parts.
For the center dash, pull the sc knobs off by pulling them off, then remove the 2 philips screws, to remvoe the whole radio and control bezel, I put my fingers in the center ac vents and just pull straight out, unplug the 3 ac controls plugs, and its out. sand down, mask it off, prime if you want and spray color in light coats drying between coats, then clear if you need. Reassemble, by plugging in the 3 ac control plugs, and then snap the bezel back on, install the 2 philips screws and then put the knobs back on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
LuvmyxB said:
Buy some Krylon Fusion for plastic! WalMart or Auto Zone whereever!

They have an emerald color, its not metallic tho but its shiney!

Two coats and you're ready to go!

If I can do mine {not green tho} you can do yours!! lol

Good luck and share pics k!
Can the Krylon Fusion be used for the Glove Box, Pillars, Ashtray, etc? I'm not sure if that is considered "plastic plastic", it definately has a different feel to it, but that may just be the texture.

Btw, does anyone know a blue that looks similar to BOP?

·
Registered
110 Posts
actually i have a buddy that has a paint gun and im going to KC paint here in boise to match my pW color and then im going to do my dash the part where its silver but i also want to know how to take the silver part off the bottom where my shiftknob is and also the front ring off the tachometer. cause i seen that people have that painted too but i dont wanna mess anything up here. but i think once its all done its gonna look really good and i might have to show some pics. but i want peoples opinions on the krylon fusion does it actually look like its factory made after its sprayed on, how shiny is it? and would i need to put a clear coat and if so what kind would anyone recomend thanks peoples.

·
RS4 #303
4,900 Posts

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Here's a copy of a DIY I did a while back on removing the center trim piece. The ring at the base of the shifter is easily removed by applying pressure to the sides and pushing in. There are tabs holding it on. Lift while pushing and it will come right off. The "ring" on the speedometer is not actually a ring at all. The gauge pod is a two piece unit. The front piece consists of the round speedometer housing and the rectangular "idiot light" housing. The second piece is a small half dome that stays on the dash until you unscrew it from beneath the piece.

I took these shots to help with the questions about removing the center dash trim on the Box. Hope it helps.

First, remove the three control knobs from the center dash unit. I advise moving them all to the farthest left position for easier reinstallation.

Once the knobs are removed you will be able to see the two Phillips head screws holding the face plate on. Remove these screws and set them in a safe place.

Once the screws are removed you can place your fingers at the bottom edge of the center trim piece and pull towards yourself. It will seem like the trim isn't going to budge but it will. Some use a screwdriver with a towel over it to prevent scratches but I've found the finger method works just fine. It comes off easier each time you remove it.

Then move to the other side and pull it out.

When the bottom half is clear, move up the sides of the trim piece pulling towards yourself. You will notice as you get to the top that there are two tabs holding the trim in place. I have found it is easy to push down on the trim and then pull back to release the two tabs.

Once the top piece is free you will need to disconnect the three electrical connections on the trim piece.

Squeeze the connectors and pull the wired plugs out. Now your center trim piece is free from the dash.

If you wish to continue removing the center dash, grasp the center glove box or "oven" with both hands and pull straight forward.

There are no screws holding this piece, only the tabs at the top and sides.

Here are the electrical connections behind the "oven" panel. The cigarette lighter and on this xB, the fog light switch.

Installation of both items is the reverse of this process.

Here is the interior of mine with the parts painted white. Use clear coat for a more shiny surface.

All you need to do to paint the surfaces is to clean them well with alcohol, dry them well, use adhesion promoter and use light coats of paint. The Krylon fusion works fine, it's what I used.

·
Registered
110 Posts
hey thank you that actually helped me out alot, so i can just use the krylon fusion clear coat as well? What is the adhesive promoter? i want to do this the right way ya know. i want it to look like it came stock like this.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i also see that people have painted the guage pod on top and the part next to it where the clock is. like painted the top and sides of it how did you guys get that off, any possible pics or threads on how to dissassemble it i cannot figure it out thanks haha i feel dumb now

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Yes, you can use the Krylon Fusion clear coat. As for the gauge pod on the top of the dash...there is a small plastic screw in the middle of the upper edge of the gauge window. Remove that screw and the piece can be pulled out. There are tabs holding it in place.

Never worry about not knowing how to do this stuff. We all had to ask at one time or another...most of us anyway. :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
and and after i take off that piece would you recomend i sand that part cause its kinda a different suface its not smooth ya know. how would i get it to shine after i paint it cause im not sure if its gonna shine after i paint it. its not like the center dash piece its not that smooth. what do you think i should do thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Disturbed_Azn said:
Can the Krylon Fusion be used for the Glove Box, Pillars, Ashtray, etc? I'm not sure if that is considered "plastic plastic", it definately has a different feel to it, but that may just be the texture.

Btw, does anyone know a blue that looks similar to BOP?
Anyone know?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Not really, I've been looking for one myself. I havent found one so I went with DupliColor Metal Flake...you can also go to Carquest and have them mix it, but its i think $18 a pop...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.