Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What up party people. I have a TCM xB and am considering painting the OEM grill black. What kind of spray paint should I use?

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
There's a couple things you can do:

1. Wait for someone with a BSP xB to sell theirs, usually it's about 50 bucks. Trust me, this is the way to go, that way you can go back to stock.

-or-

2. You can paint it, but afterwards, try to find yourself a TCM grille. You never know when you may wanna run stock for awhile.

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
Or Shadow Mica- very close to black. I wouldn't paint stock TCM grill, at least not with spray paint. It will chip and peel pretty quick. May be if a bodyshop does it for you with proper sanding etc. I think that stock painted grill from the dealer is about $70.
If i had to spray paint it: Engine Enamel by Dupli-Color from Pep Boys. Very durable paint if you follow instructions.

·
Registered
458 Posts
What up party people. I have a TCM xB and am considering painting the OEM grill black. What kind of spray paint should I use?
So this is what I recommend when you are painting. Don't just spray primer and then the color and call it quits. Use about 600 grit sand paper to get all the clear coat off first. Then go over that with 800 grit again. and then wet sand with about 1000 grit. Wait for that to dry. now hit it with a couple of light nice coats of primer. Then choose the color that you want. You can use regular glossy krylon and make sure to do light coats but many light coats instead of rushing it and doing one heavy coat. That's where yours will differ from the average joe that just does it in one night. Make sure to take your time with it unless you have spare grille. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Umm I found a red one off of ebay and scuffed it up with a scotch pad then hit it with some krylon fusion. I have been running it for about 5 months now and it has some dings in it, but is not showing its true color. Hey and I can always paint again.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
So this is what I recommend when you are painting. Don't just spray primer and then the color and call it quits. Use about 600 grit sand paper to get all the clear coat off first. Then go over that with 800 grit again. and then wet sand with about 1000 grit. Wait for that to dry. now hit it with a couple of light nice coats of primer. Then choose the color that you want. You can use regular glossy krylon and make sure to do light coats but many light coats instead of rushing it and doing one heavy coat. That's where yours will differ from the average joe that just does it in one night. Make sure to take your time with it unless you have spare grille. Hope this helped.
^^^^Great advice, take your time and do it once.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I did take time on mine, but only scuffed up the surface so that the paint could adhere well. That is good advise on doing multiple coats. Make sure to read the can. It has time frames where you can put more coats on.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Kim dogg....you know I've got a black grill sittin' in my room. Give me a call!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.