Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DIY Painting Interior

what are all of the tools and paints\sealants\etc that are needed to paint the dash. basically im asking what are all of the materials needed from tools to supplies? thanks

heres what i did

:p heres a small guide to painting that i made today. btw, this is my first '''official mod'', so praise me lol

1. get your supplies

2. i like to use a can of air duster to clean out any loose particles in the area.

3. use some clean car wipes to clean off anything sticky. wait about 20 secs for it to dry. use air duster again to clean out any fibers that may have come off of your cloth.

4. test your paint can on something white, like this carboard.

5.start spraying. go back and forth left to right and up and down for best coat. stop after about 15 seconds of spraying, wait 2 minutes, apply another coat. do this as many times as needed.

7. let first one sit out while you do the rest.

8. now you have two....then to four

9. let paint dry for about 30-60 minutes

10. when dry, install!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
i have a question. how do you paint the A/C, Air control, and temperature knobs so that you dont cover up the part that the light comes thru on the actual knob itself. i used scotch pain tape over the light groove, traced the outline of the groove, used a box knife to cut out that shape and i havent painted it...mainly cuz i wanna make sure this is an ok way to do it. how is everyone else doing it? thanks

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Yay!! New project for me, but in blue!

Looks good, thanks for sharing and posting pix!

·
Registered
276 Posts
or if you dont want to poke it out... apply chapstick to places you dont want painted and when done wipe off chapstick...

·
Registered
212 Posts
jpscion said:
or if you dont want to poke it out... apply chapstick to places you dont want painted and when done wipe off chapstick...
good addition jeremy, crayon also works too (anything that has a wax or oil base to it ;) )

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I love the pic for step 9. I was worried what the paint-drying process might look like. So that's very helpful, thank you!! :p

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well people always say "it be more fun watching paint dry"...and by god i was going to make watching paint the most fun anyone has ever had! lol

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
For the door pulls you can poke the bottom standoffs through some card board so they stand up while painting and drying. Here is all the parts I painted for my interior, I used automotive paint, that I had mixed. For best adhesion, scuff up the plastic with sandpaper or scotch bright pad, I used primer as well then I sprayed the color on with a $40 paint gun.

Click on my signature for more photos.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Skeeter said:
For the door pulls you can poke the bottom standoffs through some card board so they stand up while painting and drying. Here is all the parts I painted for my interior, I used automotive paint, that I had mixed. For best adhesion, scuff up the plastic with sandpaper or scotch bright pad, I used primer as well then I sprayed the color on with a $40 paint gun.

Click on my signature for more photos.
How did you take of the steering wheel ones? Or am I mistaken? I'm refering to those in the bottm left hand corner.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I think I am heading to autozone today and get the paint that Mike (kartel) suggested. I wanna get started..

·
Registered
546 Posts
that is nice, i think i have to get mine redone, cuz paint does not look like that orange.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
What are those two pieces above the steering wheel pieces??

I havent painted the door handles or locks and whatever those two pieces are but I painted my glove box ash tray and lighter and my brake light cover is next I also painted my oh sh!t bars! :D

Since I rolled the paint on I just masked off my steering wheel and painted the little silver pieces.

·
Registered
546 Posts
LuvmyxB said:
What are those two pieces above the steering wheel pieces??
QUOTE]

they look like they go somewhere on the seat, if you look at his other pics you should be able to notice it.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Yeah, the two pieces in the lower left hand corner appear to be the airbag trim pieces from the steering wheel.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts