Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a fiberglass grill from ebay to go with my new headlights (you all know that story) one with the foglights. I painted the original grill with krylon and clearcoaed it with krylon, but the grill seems to chip easily, eventhough I sande and primed it to start. I wanted to know what the best way is to prep and paint the new grill for a better finish with more duribility.

Thanks for any responses and help!

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Ok, I would recommend taking it to a bodyshop. For about $45 they should color match it to your box.

But if you want to DIY, unless it has imperfections there is no need to sand it. Just take a scotch brite pad (red if possible) scuff all areas you want to paint, tape everything else off. Scuff it really good, when wipe it free of any dust. A few coats of light coats of primer, Then a mist of black (light mist) take some 1200 grit wet sanding paper, wet sand it until the black paint is gone. Then dry and wipe free any dust. Apply a few coats of color, then clear if desired! LET COATS DRY A COUPLE MINUTES BEFORE NEXT COAT.

I can't recommend any paints, because all my projects are done professionally at my work (bodyshop).

Good luck.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
hotbox05 said:
no bodyshop in cali is anywhere near that cheap (about 45.00)
Ok, $45-100.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Padanky for the info. I'm going to try and do this myself, as most shops want to charge me as much as the grill cost just seems more cost effective to do it myself. I'll post pics when I get this project done.
Thanks again for the help DTRAIN619 for pointing me in the right direction and for Padanky for the great info.:D

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
WVxB said:
Thanks Padanky for the info. I'm going to try and do this myself, as most shops want to charge me as much as the grill cost just seems more cost effective to do it myself. I'll post pics when I get this project done.
Thanks again for the help DTRAIN619 for pointing me in the right direction and for Padanky for the great info.:D

Your welcome, hope everything works out!

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
WVxB said:

Padanky said:
Your welcome, hope everything works out!
That's what we're here for. Good luck, and post pics! :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.